: Rail Dust on STS

Mickbee
09-03-06, 11:00 PM
For those that have not clay barred their STS (or any Cadillac) I highly recommend it. When I first purchased my '06 STS I noticed a few tiny rust dots. Through dealing with other GMs and rail dust I knew right I was seeing rail dust. All GMs except Corvettes are transported by train to the depot for distribution throughout the region. As a result of the train transport, the debris from the train/wheels/track settles on the vehicles/cargo onboard causing it to adhere to the paint and make little rough spots; hence the 'rail dust".

As time goes by the rail dust begins to rust leaving little rusty dots all over the paint. If you run your hand over the paint you may be able to detect a bit of roughness. White cars are easy to see the dust on the paint.

Long story even longer... I washed my STS this weekend and there was much more visible dust/rust spots on the paint. I assume as the dust rusts, more of it is seen.

The solution: Clay bar. Zaino and Maguire’s makes clay bars to remove impurities from the paint finish. It works great for "stuff" that gets on your paint.

For all past vehicles I have always clay barred as a precaution.

I was shocked at the amount of dust on my STS. The Diamond White was much brighter after the process. Needless to say, the clay bar went in the trash... It had a light brown tint to it after the cleaning.

Anybody else encounter this with their Cadillac?

I hope it helps...

Steve

c5 rv
09-04-06, 06:33 AM
Since both my SRX and CTS were made within a few miles of the Lansing dealership, I doubt either got a train ride. I usually clay all my daily drivers twice a year followed by 2-3 coats of Zaino. I prefer the consistency of the Zaino claybar over the Meguiars clay - especially after they get wet.

Mickbee
09-04-06, 08:08 AM
I agree! Zaino is the only way to go in my opinion.

Jesda
09-05-06, 12:09 PM
Ahh, sound advice! You normally never think to do this to a new car.

jmf9033
09-05-06, 05:05 PM
Picked up my 06 STS a couple weeks back and I had to clay it. But in defense of Cadillac I had to clay my 2005 Audi A6 and my 2004 Volkswagon Touareg both were also new cars when I purchased them and had what appeared to be the same type of contamination. In my opinion it is rail dust and the dealers prep is only a wash which will not remove this stuff.

I did a full Clay and then Meguairs detail with the 07 Glaze and Gold Class Wax.

jjsocrazy
09-08-06, 04:56 PM
Picked up my 06 STS a couple weeks back and I had to clay it. But in defense of Cadillac I had to clay my 2005 Audi A6 and my 2004 Volkswagon Touareg both were also new cars when I purchased them and had what appeared to be the same type of contamination. In my opinion it is rail dust and the dealers prep is only a wash which will not remove this stuff.

I did a full Clay and then Meguairs detail with the 07 Glaze and Gold Class Wax.

Does this stuff really work because if so I would love to buy it and use it on my car. Is there some info or a website to it.

Thanks!

jmf9033
09-08-06, 07:53 PM
Does this stuff really work because if so I would love to buy it and use it on my car. Is there some info or a website to it.

Thanks!

check out Meguiars (http://www.meguiars.com/) there is a forum there where Meguiars employees have posted FAQs you can do some searching for Clay and read all about it.

On the last 4 new cars I have clayed them within a week of delivery and then kept them washed, polished and waxed. 2 GM products and 2 VAG (Volkswagon Auto Group) Products and always recieved compliments on how nice they looked.

c5 rv
09-08-06, 08:28 PM
Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/)

Jesda
09-10-06, 02:26 PM
Another good one is Five Star Shine, comparable to Zaino.

Car Wax Replacments | Polishes | Car Care (http://5starshine.com)

Between the two, I dont know which is better. I use NuFinish. :)

Mickbee
09-12-06, 07:10 AM
Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/)

The key to claying is to keep the bar lubricated at all times and rotate/squish the clay often to ensure you are not rubbing the particles back on the finish.

When you run the bar over an area with debris, you will feel the resistance. Rub it back and forth a few times and it will get smoother. Look at the bar and you will be able to see the debris in the clay.

I take a small spray bottle and add a cap full of Zaino car wash as the lubricant and it works very well.

A prep step is to wash the car with DAWN dishwashing liquid prior to clay barring. This will strip all wax off of the car to provide a bare surface.

If the clay bar falls on the ground DO NOT pick it up and reuse it. The dirt and sand will scratch your finish; even if you can't see it, it is there...

Good luck!
Steve

xxcaddytech
09-12-06, 09:07 AM
zaino! my navy blue metallic firehawk looked 10 ft deep after a claybar and zaino if i can get my wife out of her 05 sts4 i will do it for sure!

jjsocrazy
09-12-06, 08:00 PM
Sounds convincing, I might buy it, hope this stuff works. When you get it does it comes with instructions, what else to buy, and also how often to use?

Thanks!

xxcaddytech
09-12-06, 09:05 PM
yep to all.. my wife works for a dealer and this works better than a buff and detail. they will let you know what to get.. expensive but worth it..

c5 rv
09-12-06, 09:09 PM
Another trick I use is to hold a margarine tub under the clay as I use it on the side of the car for when (not if) I drop that slippery thing.

Also, a 4-wheel rolling stool really saves my back.

jmf9033
09-13-06, 04:43 PM
C5 is right a 4-wheel rolling stool is required for this. It is a total back killer without when trying to clay the side of the car.

c5 rv
09-13-06, 06:27 PM
I've been hinting to my kids to get me one of these for Christmas:

Kreepster / 4tek - The Creeper of the Future - 707.996.3918 (http://kreepster.com/kreepstool/order.html)