: Wheel Hop Gone, cost me 0$'s

ctsvinman
09-03-06, 06:03 PM
The Wheel hop is pretty much gone, I'd say 90%+

My V has about 32k miles on it, at about 28k it started making one of the notorios "clunks". Over the next 2k miles it got worse and worse to the point where even while cruising on the freeway in say 6th gear, if you let off the gas they re-applied the gas.... it would clunk or bang. Why did I drive like that for almost 2k miles...... Hmmmm, lets see..... with a wife & 2 small girls at home both under the age of 2, one is a new baby...... the free-time world as I know it has come to a screeeeeching hault.....:crying2:

I Took it in and the dealer didn't even question my diagnosis, we sat in the service bay and I duplicated the "clunk" by simply putting it in 1st gear and attempting to take off. It took them a day to figure out the right side Diff bushing had failed. Here's what my paperwork says:

Verified in service drive: Failed Rear Differentail Bushing
S15 Suspension & Alighnment
623 WC

1. 19121910 Bushing
2. 25742459 F-Bushing

Removed Exhaust System & Rear Diff Carrie R to access, Replaced Bushing and Reassemble.

Let me say I'm not a "Tire smoker" (been called a Pole Smoker before......:histeric: ......) when it comes to the V, when I feel like bringing rubber I have a 70 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1 and a 65 327 El camino that satisfy that urge.

Once car was fixed, I found a quiet spot and put down about 40ft of rubber with no Wheel Hop. I thought Great..... but..... could have been a prefect surface and the moon and stars were all alighned, so no wheel hop. A few days later I did it again, same result, no wheel hop. Today, after 1500 plus miles on the fix, I let em up just to re-confirm what I had confirmed..... and...... again...... No Wheel Hop.:thumbsup:

VinMan Out..........

nikon
09-03-06, 09:03 PM
you must be running kumhos....if not thats pretty cool.

Flyboy
09-03-06, 09:28 PM
Can't spell

mostoyzwinz
09-03-06, 09:39 PM
An anomally.

Flyboy
09-03-06, 09:50 PM
I'm not anal........but did well in spelling..

Anomally doesn't have 2 L's

CIWS
09-03-06, 09:55 PM
I'm not anal........but did well in spelling..

Anomally doesn't have 2 L's

Although I agree. It's funny you used 2 L's as well...:D

I personally suck at spelling.

Flyboy
09-03-06, 09:58 PM
Although I agree. It's funny you used 2 L's as well...
Yeah.....LMAO....

GNSCOTT
09-03-06, 10:13 PM
Don't feel bad. I just bought a new 07 Corvette Z-51 suspension and I have some wheel hop. Nothing like I had on my V, but it is noticable at times.

ctsvinman
09-03-06, 11:28 PM
I have GSD3 tires in case anyone wants to know. I have 100% stock suspension.

L8

CVP33
09-04-06, 01:17 AM
Finally someone figured out how to stop wheel hop. Well don't just stand there, get going! :thumbsup:

Flyboy
09-04-06, 09:02 AM
Don't feel bad. I just bought a new 07 Corvette Z-51 suspension and I have some wheel hop. Nothing like I had on my V, but it is noticable at times.

Damn, Damn, Damn....I once owned a '32 Highboy with a solid 9" Ford axle, 4:11 gears and NEVER Wheel Hopped!!!! Is all this hopping because of the IRS axles?

CIWS
09-04-06, 09:05 AM
Most of my wheel hop vanished when I switched tires off of the F1s.

2004ctsv
09-04-06, 10:31 AM
Damn, Damn, Damn....I once owned a '32 Highboy with a solid 9" Ford axle, 4:11 gears and NEVER Wheel Hopped!!!! Is all this hopping because of the IRS axles?

IRS - necessary but not sufficient
IRS + weak/soft rear suspension + sticky tires - bingo

You would have to have some kind of beast to make a solid axle hop (both wheels at once?)

mostoyzwinz
09-05-06, 02:27 PM
An anomally.

This plase needs a spel chek.

Deuuuce
11-07-06, 01:08 AM
Hey CTSVINMAN - want another shot at the title vs. my SRT-8?? wuss. :want:

austin
11-07-06, 02:07 AM
ctsvinman that's great...

Just out of curiousity... Did you take a look and see if they put in the TSB wheelhop bushings.. You never know.. You may just got one of those dealers that just does it automaticaly. Even though it doesn't say it on the sheet.

There are many forms of the infamous "clunk noise". I have the specter bushings, and run craps... and honestly have zero wheel hop what so ever.... But i have lots of the low speed parade clunk noise. The dealer said the differential bushings were fine. I think most folks reported a harsh clunk noise from the front differential bushing bottoming out, not the side one. Perhaps you had a combination of both... It looks like they replaced two different bushings from what you have posted. :)

Florian
11-07-06, 09:35 AM
it will come back....give it time.

F

CTSV05
11-07-06, 10:01 AM
it will come back....give it time.

F

LMAO!!

No mention of a vigorous 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift for that matter, road surface, tire temp, can all allow a nice smokey burnout w/o hop.

Before My kit, I could get a burnout occaisionally, w/o hop. It was the shifting, and changing conditions that would mess things up.

Hopefully this is a true fix...............although, experience shows evidence against it.

(Gee...I hope My spelling is ok)

willsctsv
11-07-06, 04:16 PM
The BMR kit helped for me, but switching to GSD3's put the icing on the cake and make for nice smokey burnouts with no hop.. Some on this board have seen me smoke the tires for 100 feet.

Dreamin
11-07-06, 10:19 PM
Vin, which dealership did u go to?