: No more teasin' - Full Monty attached

calicadi
09-03-06, 02:03 PM
I may have to edit this a couple of times to maximize number of attachments, but here goes. The Jongbloed rims are 9X18 with 265/40/18's, stockers have 245/45/18 Potenzas. Object was to create clearance for JB's (which are wonderfully lightweight 9's with no rotor or suspension interference and capable of safely handling 265's) and still be able to run stockers and not look dorked-out. I didn't like the look of stick-on flares and really only needed about 2" more room.

The guys at California Classics in Alameda performed the magic... old school style. There's very little filler in this (see "Here's a tease" thread). A small amount of metal was added and hand-hammered to match the stock contour. Then the whole lower half of the car was painted to blend. (Bonus with that is some small parking lot scratches were corrected and now front and rear bumpers match body color which was not true from the factory!) Tricky parts were getting the leading edge of the fronts to work with the bumper and determining the leading edge of the rear contour where it meets the door. Fortunately the plastic bumper stretches.

Please pardon the lighting differences. JB shots were in the morning with overcast sky. Then I replaced the bent Hotchkis front brackets and put the stockers on. By then the sun had come out.

This pretty much completes the "car as project". I think the only thing I need now is an invisible bra and a cash infusion.:eek:

Chef
09-03-06, 02:08 PM
Looks Tight!

I want it too!!!:bouncy:

Great lines with some xtra meat - A meal I would love to cook!

Chef

urbanski
09-03-06, 02:23 PM
indulge me a bit, since i really dont know
what's the point of the new rims? they look really beefy...drags?

wildwhl
09-03-06, 04:01 PM
Really nice work. I like :thumbsup:

Indulge me (screw urby) - how much for the custom body and paint, and how long did it take?

WW

calicadi
09-03-06, 07:37 PM
indulge me a bit, since i really dont know
what's the point of the new rims? they look really beefy...drags?
They look beefy but are very light at 19 pounds and very strong. Each wheel and tire weighs at least 6 pounds less than the stock 8.5"-wide rims with a runflat mounted.

Wanted a second set of lightweight rims to mount competition (or near competition) rubber for autocross and track days, and so I could leave runflats on the stockers for daily driving.
265 is the max width up front. Recommended rim width for 265 is 9" so stockers wouldn't do. SCCA rules for my class have 275 as a max width, but those would only fit in the rear and that means running staggered setup. With 265's on all four corners, I'm only giving up a little in rear tire width and gaining the ability to rotate front-to-rear. Autocrossing chews up the fronts worse than the rears.
With the 9" rims I can run any of these:
Extreme PerformanceSummer:
265/35/18 - BFG T/A KD, Potenza RE01R, Kumho Exsta MX, Yoko Advan AD07
265/40/18 - BFG T/A KD (what I went with for minimum speedo error
and so I could just drive to close-by AutoX's/track-days without changing tires.)

Competition
245/40/18 - Hoosier A6, Hoosier R6
265/35/18 - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Yoko Advan A048

calicadi
09-03-06, 07:51 PM
Really nice work. I like :thumbsup:

Indulge me (screw urby) - how much for the custom body and paint, and how long did it take?

WW
$6K and two weeks. Probably could have been done in a little less time but they got busy. I think they only have the one guy that does this level of work so when he got side-tracked to other projects mine waited. And because they hadn't done one before it was all new. They weren't sure they could pull the front bumper out to meet the new fender contour, so there was extra time planning that. After it was done, there was extra time taken to tweak all the fender liner pieces so they'd still fit properly. They managed to do it all without having to buy or fab new pieces. What was saved by not buying those was spent in labor to figure and tweak what was there.

Holmes815
09-05-06, 11:44 AM
So subtle - Wish I had the cash to do it- looks the way it should have from factory!!! BEAUTIFUL CAR :)

LV_V
09-05-06, 06:16 PM
$6k??!! I hope that included the new rims and rubber! If not you got ripped.

calicadi
09-05-06, 10:01 PM
$6k??!! I hope that included the new rims and rubber! If not you got ripped.
Nope, just the body and paint work. If you have a color printer, please copy these photos and shop them around Las Vegas. Don't mention how much I paid. I'm interested in what like work would cost down there.