: Reusable Oil Filter Housing

ddmmww
09-03-06, 01:23 PM
I just bought my 99 Cadillac Catera two days ago and went to get the oil changed yesterday. As I am waiting for the techs in the back to finish I see one of them come out and discuss his "problem" with the owner of the shop. It seems that he cracked the aluminum housing that the oil filter was in. I went back to check it out and while he was torquing the hex nut (on the cap of the reusable housing) he cracked it. The previous owner must have waited a while in between oil changes or the oil change tech never replaced the filter and just drained the oil. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. I now have to try to find the housing for the oil filter at a cadillac dealership or junk yard. If anyone knows a better place to try to find this part or has had any experience with this issue PLEASE HELP! Thank you.

2000catera
09-17-06, 11:37 PM
Is the housing cracked or just the the cap itself. I had a similiar situation where my cap was cracked. I was able to break off the remaining pieces, clean out the housing and get a replacement plastic cap instead. The cap I bought is actually for a 1997 Mercedes E320 with the inline 6 cyl engine. Some of the threads on the cap have to be cut down to fit but it works with no problem.