: chevy 350 in 80's flerrtwood broughm

broughm delegance
09-03-06, 09:41 AM
so i have a chevy 350 out of an elcamino.actually the engine came out of a chevelle then got put in the camino. anywho, i want to swap this carburated engine into an 80's fleetwood broughm delegance. how hard is this process and what does it entail me doing. i need to know because this is going to be my senior project at bothell highschool. i have the mechanical knowledge to do the swap as long as i can see if it can be done. so yea what do i need to change; tranny, drivtrain, subframe, i have no idea someone please help me

90Brougham350
09-03-06, 11:17 AM
The easiest way for you to do this swap would be with a 90-92 parts car sitting next to your Fleetwood. The 90-92 Broughams had optional TBI 350's from the factory, and 91-92 have TBI 305's standard. This way, you could get the engine mounts and everything you need and have it right there to work with.

broughm delegance
09-04-06, 01:09 AM
ok, thats sounds good. but that didnt really tell me anything, will the cadillacs tranny mate with the 350 or shud i use my t350. and wat else. since its carburated what do i have to do with this beasts computer. basiacally is this about to be a hard ass process cuz im a senior and i have a budget. i really want to put this 350 in it cuz i have it fully built pushing about 450 hp maybe close to 500. and chevy moters are easy to work on. PLEASE HELP ME I NEED A STEP BY STEP WALK THROUGH OR JUST A GOOD GENERAL IDEA.

CadiJeff
09-04-06, 01:23 AM
the mid 80's(1986-89) rwd cadi's used the Olds 307 not the chevy 305 so there are differences in the tranny bolt pattern (IIRC) so you would have to deal with that. Since you are putting out that kind of power I would suggest changing the tranny anyway (to something stronger). you might need to do the same with the rear diff as well.
other than just having one laying around, why the chevy 350?
A cadi 472 or 500 or even an olds 455 would be alot easier(near direct swap) and could easily make similar power and more torque than a 350 for the same money, and they are not hard to work on either.

CadiJeff
09-04-06, 01:27 AM
also what year cadi is it?

davesdeville
09-04-06, 06:33 AM
90-96s used SBCs (94-96 was the LT1,) it should be a fairly straightforward swap.

90Brougham350
09-04-06, 09:05 AM
The 350 should bolt right up to the TH400 in the Caddy right now, but as CadiJeff has mentioned, you may wish to change the tranny as well, because engines and transmissions age at roughly the same rate, so if the stock TH400 in the Brougham has many miles on it and you stick a stout SBC with close to 500hp in front of it, the tranny will put you in the shop in a month or less. So with that in mind, you've got to think about the rest of the drivetrain. If you have an 82-89 Fleetwood Brougham, you have a 7.5" 10-bolt rear-end that again, may not last too long with 500 horses.

FASSTWOOD
09-04-06, 09:31 AM
Which Mid 80's caddy. Your best best is maybe finding a donor car for all the brackets. Or try to at least find the motor mounts brackets from a 90's fleetwood that came with the 350 sbc. This way It will line up nicely. Your gonna need to swap the engine along with the tranny too. the tranny thats in the caddy now will not line up with the chevy bolt pattern. It might actually be easier to find caprice engine mounts and brackets at a local junk yard than the caddy ones. Those will work too... As long as the chevy had an 8 cylinder 4.3 , 5.0 or 5.7 sbc...

JTraik
10-03-06, 04:51 PM
Mounts and everything else you need are readilly available at any parts store. Also im pretty sure your going to have an electronically controlled tranny out of the car which will require an electronic fuel system to be on the engine.