: Is this a new version of the B&B Catback?

hepcats
09-02-06, 09:46 PM
I just received a B&B catback a couple days ago and had it installed at my local muffler shop and noticed something different about mine from the pictures that I've seen here on the boards. I ordered FDOM-0305 which is the version with the x-pipe, like the one pictured below

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/vseries/images/ctsv-system.jpg

The thing that different however is that there are two small inline resonators on the short tubes that are flanking the x-pipe in the picture above. Wish I had pictures of my system to show but don't have my camera on me.

My x-pipe is as pictured above, it's just that there are resonators on the short tubes, which I didn't expect. Anyone know if this is a design update to the system?

austin
09-02-06, 10:04 PM
Sounds similar to the Borla system with x-pipe and resonators.. Except, Borla has the resonators on the long pipes. BTW.. How do you like the sound..

StealthV
09-02-06, 11:20 PM
Does your resonator look like the one in the top of the photo?

hepcats
09-02-06, 11:25 PM
StealthV, yes that's exactly it. Did they send me the wrong part? I was expecting the one on the bottom.

Austin, it sounds good but to be honest, it's a bit too sub-dued. I was expecting a louder sound being that it's a 3" system. I'm guessing it's because of these resonators.

StealthV
09-02-06, 11:35 PM
...or does it look like this?

Photo 1 above has a catalytic converter
Photo 2 below has the resonator and no converter

hepcats
09-02-06, 11:56 PM
Stealth, I'm not sure now. It looks more like the last picture, but that last picture looks like two pieces. The piece that had the inline resonator was all one piece. Length about the same as the last picture.

StealthV
09-03-06, 12:46 AM
Back in the day, the kit came with a full-length straight-thru pipe and the resonator for each side were "extras" shipped loose. To install the the resonators, one cut x" off the straight-thru pipe.

Not knowing what came in your kit, it is possible the exhaust shop cut the pipes to intall the resonators or they come that way now from B&B.

The resonators are similar to a traditional glass-pack muffler - 100% straight-thru shot with a fiberglass layer in the outer larger diameter to help combat resonance.

austin
09-03-06, 12:46 AM
Just a thought..

If it is a catback system they sent you, you should not have any pipes with o2 sensor holes in them.

If the pipes in question do have a o2 sensor hookup, then it is a before the cat back pipe, and is either a cat delete replacement pipe or a free flow cat replacement pipe.

So, i guess the question is.... If you took the pipe(s) in question and set them aside. Would the remaining pieces complete a cat back system. If so, either they sent you two extra pipes, or you (or they thought you) ordered your system with free flowing cats. I hope this helps..

hepcats
09-03-06, 02:20 AM
Back in the day, the kit came with a full-length straight-thru pipe and the resonator for each side were "extras" shipped loose. To install the the resonators, one cut x" off the straight-thru pipe.

Not knowing what came in your kit, it is possible the exhaust shop cut the pipes to intall the resonators or they come that way now from B&B.

The resonators are similar to a traditional glass-pack muffler - 100% straight-thru shot with a fiberglass layer in the outer larger diameter to help combat resonance.

Thanks Stealth. Looks like it came from the B&B that way (had a chance to look at the kit before they installed it). I'll give B&B a call on Tuesday to see what's up.

hepcats
09-03-06, 02:21 AM
Just a thought..

If it is a catback system they sent you, you should not have any pipes with o2 sensor holes in them.

If the pipes in question do have a o2 sensor hookup, then it is a before the cat back pipe, and is either a cat delete replacement pipe or a free flow cat replacement pipe.

So, i guess the question is.... If you took the pipe(s) in question and set them aside. Would the remaining pieces complete a cat back system. If so, either they sent you two extra pipes, or you (or they thought you) ordered your system with free flowing cats. I hope this helps..

Thanks Austin. Yeah, we used every piece and bolted up perfectly. Sure would've been nice to receive high flo cats with it, but unfortunately I didn't get lucky. :)

OldRoadDawg
09-04-06, 08:21 PM
Hepcat, I have the small resonators in the short tubes of my B&B exhaust that bolt directly to the factory cats, but I'm also running the center resonator. Not sure which version mine is because I bought it from another forum member.
Sound/noise is sort of a subjective thing, but my wife and neighbors have told me (repeatedly) :rolleyes: that I'd never be able to sneak home.

hepcats
09-06-06, 12:14 AM
Thanks OldRoadDawg, that's exactly what mine looks like but with an x-pipe instead of the center resonator. I had a chance to talk to someone at B&B and they informed me that they don't produce the version with straight through pipes anymore. They mentioned that the previous version was too loud (wtf? haha, hmmm I guess that depends on who you ask). I asked if they sold the old pipes and they said no.

The thing that's aggravating about this is that their website still shows pictures of the old system without the resonators, which is somewhat misleading. Oh well, no biggie... just have to get a section of straight pipe welded in.

Slaigher
09-06-06, 01:10 AM
I have the B&B headers and exhaust with resonator on order ( I think I ordered the X-pipe too). I hope I can sneak out of the driveway in the morning without waking the neighbours. If I can, it sounds like I have a few options to "add noise" to push the limit of their noise threshold - remove the small resonators, put in the X-pipe... Regardless, there will be no mistaking the new V-8 in the neighbourhood!:thumbsup:

Dean400hp
09-06-06, 10:55 AM
I went through same thing! if you paid $800 you didnt get cats with it, if you paid over $1000, then you got cats with! the $800 system looks like cats up front but they are small resonators wich then hook up to your stock cats!
I just got headers and had to order new front pipes with cats so they would reach headers, the front pipes with cats cost $395. little confusing, took me a while to figure out what I actually had...