: Overfilled with oil....might have a problem

erikflorip
09-01-06, 07:19 PM
My mom filled her Catera with about 2 quarts too muc oil. It started blowing smoke out of the exhaust pretty bad so she shut it off. It starts right up but still smokes like crazy....will it be ok if we drain the oil and then refill to the right amount??

RedGalant2k1
09-01-06, 11:15 PM
Change the oil and you should be ok.

erikflorip
09-02-06, 12:02 PM
Changed the oil...still smoke. Will it take a while for the oil to settle out or is there something very wrong??

RedGalant2k1
09-02-06, 06:07 PM
Changed the oil...still smoke. Will it take a while for the oil to settle out or is there something very wrong??

How long was the car overfilled? And are their any other problems the car has had? Coolant? And leaks?

erikflorip
09-03-06, 11:37 AM
The car was overfilled for about 6 miles.....the smoke has stopped but the engine doesn't seem to be running right. It doesn't seem to be firing on all of the cylinders. Would anything have happpened to the rings?

RedGalant2k1
09-03-06, 12:23 PM
Possibly burnt or damaged a piston ring. Does the car idle rough?

erikflorip
09-03-06, 05:10 PM
Yeah it idles rough......any idea on the cost of replacing a set of rings on a catera??

RedGalant2k1
09-03-06, 06:43 PM
Yeah it idles rough......any idea on the cost of replacing a set of rings on a catera??

Probably a few thousand dollars. But before its condemned for a guess, I'd have it inspected by a mechanic. Someone who can test compression, spark, etc etc to mechanically condemn the engine, or to give you an estimate to re-ring the engine.

bengsxr
09-13-06, 02:08 PM
in cars that have had oil in the top of the engine due to roll overs. pull the plugs out and crank the engine blows all the oil out of the pistons next you will need new plugs install them start the car let it run for awhile drive. you will still get alot of smoke out then come home and more then likely you will need another set of plugs. So I would say pull the plugs and replace them.