: How to do a tuneup on a North*

cadillac6
02-16-04, 12:07 PM
Ok so what needs to be done to do a tuneup on a North*?

Allante North *
02-16-04, 01:09 PM
Plugs & Wires(AC Delco) Thats about it if you feel the need.

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 03:09 PM
Didn't you just ask this in a thread not too long ago...???? Same answer this time....

There really isn't much to "tune up". The original OEM plugs were dual platinum tipped plugs and can run perfectly fine WELL beyond 100K. Most of the time spark plug wire problems are caused by pulling them off and on.... Best advice, if the engine is running fine, leave them alone. There is a very sensitive engine misfire diagnostic code that will alert you to a misfire well before you will even feel it. If that is not tripping then the plugs and wires are fine. Leave them alone and save some time and money.

If you really want to , pull the plugs and check condition and for presence of platinum pads on ground and center electrode. They are tiny but visible and plug will start to wear if they are gone. Replace if necessary. Check each plug wire with a VOM for resistence and continuity. Check each end of each wire for the metal terminal inside the boot for tightness and presence. The terminals get pulled off the wire sometimes in disassembly for inspection/plug replacement and without the terminal being there and being crimped tightly the plug wire will cause misfire.

Drain and refresh the cooling system with fresh 50/50 DexCool/distilled water. Notice drain and refresh...not flush...not required...not recommended. Just drain and refill with fresh coolant to replenish the corrosion inhibitors..and add the 6 coolant supplement pellets to the radiator hose (not surge tank) for protection against incidental leaks.

Replace the accessory drive belt and the water pump drive belt. After 100K they do not owe you a dime. Replace now and save some hassle later. check the water pump drive belt tensioner for freedom of movement and proper action. Lube pivot.

Clean the throttle body bore. Carb spray and tooth brush the perimeter of the ID of the throttle bore and the back of the throttle blade to prevent any sticking or corking in the future due to deposits.

Take the EGR valve off and clean the shaft of the valve inside the cast passage in the base and clean the pintle and seat of any carbon. There is an EGR pintle position diagnostic code that will set if the valve becomes sticky...at 100K it is probably close so it is a good preventive maintenance item.

Normal oil and filter changes per the oil life monitor.

Forget the rest.

cadillac6
02-16-04, 03:35 PM
I was asking for a friend

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 03:37 PM

Last time or this time....LOL Just kidding. I just saw your last post when I searched for the "canned" reply to cut and paste.

Daniel Almestica
06-08-04, 12:45 PM
bob which wire are best for the 94 eldorado
Last time or this time....LOL Just kidding. I just saw your last post when I searched for the "canned" reply to cut and paste.

growe3
06-08-04, 09:00 PM
Make sure to use the correct coolant type for your friends car.

Depending on the year it could be Green or Orange.

-George

kdybread
06-16-04, 02:43 PM
Didn't you just ask this in a thread not too long ago...???? Same answer this time....

Drain and refresh the cooling system with fresh 50/50 DexCool/distilled water. Notice drain and refresh...not flush...not required...not recommended. Just drain and refill with fresh coolant to replenish the corrosion inhibitors..and add the 6 coolant supplement pellets to the radiator hose (not surge tank) for protection against incidental leaks.

Forget the rest.
I have a 95 SLS..does this also require six pellets...the guys at Jiffy Lube said I would need 2..are the bullshytin' me?

cadillacstars
06-17-04, 12:09 AM
Bosch wires are very good for the northstar. they are about half the price of delcos, and every bit as good. Also right out of the box they are numbered like the factory wires, and they also have the wire loom already installed on the in the factory locations. trust me these are very good. as for plugs, double platinum delcos ONLY. i looked into the denso iridium plugs but couldn't justify the price.