: Fast Launch thoughts - C55 vs 05 V

G--
08-31-06, 10:06 PM
So, there's a guys in my building that drives a C55 AMG (Auto) that's completely stock and I drive an 05 V (completely stock). He and I have gotten to talk a few times and we're going to go run 'em sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Not sure where, and don't have any details, but I'm fairly certain it will be from a standstill, most likely not highway start, etc.
The C55 owner seems to be a nice enough guy, but I not only want to win, but I'd really like to stomp him from the get go. I know, practice makes perfect, especially when it comes to launching our Vs from a standstill, but I would like some experienced advice on what your best launch techniques are, as I've only owned my V for 2 months, and still can't find just the right RPM launch in first get the best launch every time. TC is off, and I typically dial back the Stability (although I'm sure this has nothing to do with a straight line launch).
Thoughts, suggestions, etc. on best way to ensure I only see him in the rear view only? Predicitions (assuming I am a decent/acceptable driver, and not someone who counts to 2 Mississippi between gears)?:want:
One last thing is that he's going to put new tires on his C55 next week, before we run, so this will help him out when all he does is put his right foot down...

wildwhl
08-31-06, 11:00 PM
So hard to describe in words - practice, practice, practice. Must keep wheel spin to a minimum. Speed shift (let up partly on the throttle and shift very, very fast getting back into it right away) but don't power shift (keeping it floored). TC off is good unless you spin to much, hop, and then have to get out of it anyway.

Oh yeah, and practice :)

WW

stkshkr
09-01-06, 12:51 AM
:yeah:

1QUICKV
09-01-06, 03:16 AM
but don't power shift (keeping it floored).
WW

why should it he keep it floored? i don't fully do that but why not if he can in 3rd and 4 the gears? just asking? wheel hop?

AND WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T LOSE

atdeneve
09-01-06, 07:01 AM
why should it he keep it floored? i don't fully do that but why not if he can in 3rd and 4 the gears? just asking? wheel hop?

Keeping it floored between shifts puts a lot of stress on the power train when it receives the jolt of torque from the engine. It is especially bad for the differential on the 1-->2 shift, since it will most definitely result in wheel hop. Wheel hop, in turn, does not promote his forward progression - i.e., acceleration - and he will most likely not be able to give the C55 the full romping it deserves. Though one may not experience the differential cracking wheel hop in the 3-->4 shift, the powertrain will still have to endure significantly heightened levels of stress (levels that they were probably not designed for; especially not with any regularity). Ergo, no power shifting, if one wants to preserve his or her transmission/differential. Capishe?

And G--, you'll get the hang of it after a couple runs through the gears. And after that, you'll only get better. Piece a cake.:thumbsup:

Personally, in the real world - where there are a variety of surfaces and conditions - I think it's more of a "feel what's going on and let 'er talk to you" type of deal, rather than a strict technique, which might be more applicable for a particular drag strip. Just keep it at the limits of adhesion (and...err...wheelhop) without going over. Ride the edge and ride it close. And rip that MB a new one. Giddyup cowbwoi. Yeehaw!:gungrin:

G--
09-01-06, 08:09 AM
Thanks WW & thanks guys. I know I've got to practice more, and your thoughts are helpful. Its definitely a "feel" thing. I hear you say ease up on the throttle, but don't get all the way out (but definitely don't power shift), is this a fair summary?
I am mainly concerned about the launch, I feel like half way through second and definely third I'll have him, but I REALLY don't want to give him any confidence boost off the line if it can be helped...
I will post results when this is done.
And out of respect to myself and to all here...I will not lose!:thumbsup:

thefly
09-01-06, 08:35 AM
i have run a C55 on the highway my buddy owns one. from a start the better driver wins. i think it will be real close till you hit third...

Kadonny
09-01-06, 09:13 AM
Try the launch around 2500 rpms and shifting is very important. As WW said, try to speed shift but make it fast and know when to shift. If you wait too long you lose peak torque so don't redline it.

silver05v
09-01-06, 12:30 PM
I don't mean to get your hopes down, but I have seen E55's and C32's launch from a stop and they launch really hard. I would recommend a rolling start at around 40 mph, then you have the advantage, from a stop he's got the advantage 100% of the time.:tisk: Good Luck, anyway:thumbsup:

G--
09-01-06, 05:25 PM
I don't mean to get your hopes down, but I have seen E55's and C32's launch from a stop and they launch really hard. I would recommend a rolling start at around 40 mph, then you have the advantage, from a stop he's got the advantage 100% of the time.:tisk: Good Luck, anyway:thumbsup:

i have run a C55 on the highway my buddy owns one. from a start the better driver wins. i think it will be real close till you hit third...

This is what I had thought, so your comments help confirm. There's little doubt that the C55 is easier to launch and can be very quick off the line. I'd also rather do it on the highway, but that probably won't happen (at least not the first run). I told him I expected it to be very close, but that I'd be sure to wave to him after 60...:thumbsup:

Kyle15
09-01-06, 06:36 PM
I had a C32 before I bought my V. Do not race him from a dig unless you don't mind losing if everything doesnt go right. With new tires they do get off the line really good. Well, maybe. Theres a secret way to fully disengage his traction control, if he doesnt know that then his car will probably bog if he's not smart. Just race him from a 20mph dig and then you'll dust him.

BBV
09-01-06, 08:30 PM
G--
Just a thought.
If you are going through all this preplanning for a street drag race how about meeting on a proper closed road course and giving your neighbor a real spanking?

Edit:
If you and your neighbor have no track experience this would be a great opportunity for the two of you to spend a track day or two together and learn how to really exploit your car's potential.
Besides having a heck of a great time and improving your on track and on road diving skills, you may wind up making a good friend in the process.

HushH
09-01-06, 10:31 PM
G--
Just a thought.
If you are going through all this preplanning for a street drag race how about meeting on a proper closed road course and giving your neighbor a real spanking?

Edit:
If you and your neighbor have no track experience this would be a great opportunity for the two of you to spend a track day or two together and learn how to really exploit your car's potential.
Besides having a heck of a great time and improving your on track and on road diving skills, you may wind up making a good friend in the process.

CIWS
09-02-06, 07:39 AM
G--
Just a thought.

Edit:

:yeah: :yeah:

Since ya'll are planning it, make it a track run. Fun for both :)

TXSilverV
09-02-06, 10:45 AM
G-- Why do we meet up since I live in your city. We could both go do it. Worse case I will let you use my car to race him. You will not lose in mine! 500/500 RWHP/RWTQ! and I have no wheel hop. You can tell him it's a loan car from the dealership. PM me and we can meet up this weekend.

Drift-caddy
09-02-06, 10:54 AM
Yea, sorry but i dont think you will win if your stock. Spray her, good tires and alot of prayers. If you dont believe in God, find one, then pray for the rear. lol practice and stay calm, dont over rev. Yea tires will help, get some good tires nice and sticky. Spray alil 75shot and turn it on in 3rd gear and real him back in. tune as well. Other then that good luck.

G--
09-02-06, 05:38 PM
G-- Why do we meet up since I live in your city. We could both go do it. Worse case I will let you use my car to race him. You will not lose in mine! 500/500 RWHP/RWTQ! and I have no wheel hop. You can tell him it's a loan car from the dealership. PM me and we can meet up this weekend.

TXSilverV,
I would love to meet up, although I am booked the remainder of this weekend (family in town, etc). I can't PM yet, think I'm just a few posts short. Please shoot me an email at grant.austgen@fmr.com, and we can get together sometime soon. Were you at the Target on 2499 & 407 today? I saw a silver V w/BF Goodrich tires, wondered if it was someone here.

To all the other esteemed veterans, I agree with the track idea, I would absolutely love the chance to do that sometime. The guy with the C55 is at the office, so this was more of a "hey, let's go run 'em after work on one of the desolate roads 5-10 minutes from here" and go home after. I'll ask about the track, but I'd think he'd politely decline, however, you never know.
All the posts were helpful, all good feedback, which was the intention of creating this thread...

TXSilverV
09-03-06, 10:51 AM
G-- I will send you an email and we can meet up some time. You can't miss my V because I have 20" Foose Wheels on the car. If it's the Silver V from Flower Mound he has wrecked that thing twice.

CIWS
09-03-06, 10:55 AM
Throw me in there if ya'll have a local meet up please. :)