: performance upgrades for 1990-92 5.7l brougham

pcm
08-31-06, 10:01 AM
I've been wanting to give my cad. more power but i don't know were to start. I've got to change the valve seats already so I was going to put some roller rockers on. I've heard it already has roller lifters but I'm not sure. I don't want to make 500hp just free up whats already there. maybe a cam and headers if I can find some. and will I need to do anything to my computer if I leave the fuel injection alone. OH!! and if anybody was wondering if the 20" vogue tires will fit on this body style they do if I can figure out how to put pictures up I will post. I don't have vogue tires on it yet but I do have the same size tire on the rims that I bought for $500. the tire size is 275/45r20. they don't rub unless you do a U turn. and it only rubs the plastic finder well when you do. :rolleyes:

90Brougham350
08-31-06, 10:15 AM
Obviously any engine changes will result in the need for a re-programming of the computer. The first place to start is the cam and heads. The stock cam is decent on low-end power and great on mileage, but a broomstick in comparison to what should be in there for real power. The swirlport heads are also great for the stock setup, but won't do nearly as well as a set of Vortec or AFR or Edelbrock heads will. Simply changing the PCM programming will do very little to affect the performance. Swap cams alone with a re-program and you're talking another 50 ft. lbs. easily.

pcm
08-31-06, 11:44 AM
thanks for the input. I can get a set of vortec heads for like $50. but will I need the intake for the heads also they are out of a 96 chevy truck

90Brougham350
09-01-06, 08:11 AM
The intake is only a couple hundred bucks new from Edelbrock. Good luck!