: '96 SLS: IPC Option C problem

The_Raven
02-16-04, 08:22 AM
Howyadoin,

Decided to do the IPC overrides for coolant temp and digital mph, and get rid of the "PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT" message. Got the Option E set fine for the temp and MPH, but things were strange on the Option C mod for the BTSI suppression.

The Option C value was 32 if I remember right. I added the 4 to eliminate the BTSI, then started wondering why the original value wasn't 160 (32 for DRL installed plus 128 for "RSS installed"). I saved my changes, and the PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT nonsense seems to be gone.

Is it safe to assume that RSS was standard on the '96 SLS? I looked at the struts and they have the connector, and they seem to ride OK, if a bit wallowy. I hope the previous owner didn't have the override changed to suppress "Service Ride Control" messages.

Is suppressing SRC messages as easy as an IPC override on the '96 SLS? If I enable the 128 bit, to see if I get an SRC message, could there be a negative impact?

Thanks,

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 10:24 AM
Howyadoin,

Decided to do the IPC overrides for coolant temp and digital mph, and get rid of the "PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT" message. Got the Option E set fine for the temp and MPH, but things were strange on the Option C mod for the BTSI suppression.

The Option C value was 32 if I remember right. I added the 4 to eliminate the BTSI, then started wondering why the original value wasn't 160 (32 for DRL installed plus 128 for "RSS installed"). I saved my changes, and the PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT nonsense seems to be gone.

Is it safe to assume that RSS was standard on the '96 SLS? I looked at the struts and they have the connector, and they seem to ride OK, if a bit wallowy. I hope the previous owner didn't have the override changed to suppress "Service Ride Control" messages.

Is suppressing SRC messages as easy as an IPC override on the '96 SLS? If I enable the 128 bit, to see if I get an SRC message, could there be a negative impact?

Thanks,

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

Option C on a 96 does not contain any suppression capability for the RSS (or CVRSS as it was known by then I think...) Option C would always have a value of 32 shown (32 is not used for anything but must be there for the correct check sums for all the options....) . Add 4 to suppress the BTSI message, add 16 for celluar phone, add 1 to supress the "low fuel level" message, add 64 to suppress the "premium unleaded fuel" message. There is no way to suppress any of the CVRSS messages in any of the options.

The_Raven
02-16-04, 01:15 PM
Howyadoin,

Bbob, my thanks as always for the info. The table of overrides I was working from is below. Note the "RSS Installed" option under Option C. Is this misinformation? This table was supposed to be for 96-97s. The 32 does make sense for "Daytime Running Lamps Enabled".

Thanks again,

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

IPCS00
No overrides selected

IPCS01 Option A
Uneversal Theft Deterrent Enabled---008
Personalization/Memory Installed---004
Interior Air Purge Enabled----------001

IPCS02 Option B (Export Country Code)
EEC------------------------------016
Japan----------------------------008
Saudi Arabia----------------------004
Canada---------------------------002
Norway/Sweden-------------------001
USA------------------------------000

IPCS03 Option C
RSS Installed----------------------128
Premium Unleaded Fuel Only graphic
supression (digital panel)-----------064
Daytime Running Lamps Enabled------032
Cellular Telephone Installed (enables/
disables HVAC control on steering
column as well as phone)------------016
BTSI message supression(brake to
shift indicator)--------------------004
Options Not Set--------------------002
FUEL LEVEL LOW message supression-001

IPCS04 Option D (HVAC Options)
AfterBlow Enabled------------------128
De-Ice Installed--------------------064
Timed Recirc Enabled---------------016
Dual Zone HVAC installed------------008

IPCS05 Option E (Driver Message Center Options)
COOLANT TEMP---------------------064
BATTERY VOLTS--------------------032
ENGINE RPM------------------------016
AVG MPH--------------------------008
MPH------------------------------004
FUEL USED-------------------------002
INST MPG--------------------------001

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 03:00 PM
Howyadoin,

Bbob, my thanks as always for the info. The table of overrides I was working from is below. Note the "RSS Installed" option under Option C. Is this misinformation? This table was supposed to be for 96-97s. The 32 does make sense for "Daytime Running Lamps Enabled".

Thanks again,

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

IPCS00
No overrides selected

IPCS01 Option A
Uneversal Theft Deterrent Enabled---008
Personalization/Memory Installed---004
Interior Air Purge Enabled----------001

IPCS02 Option B (Export Country Code)
EEC------------------------------016
Japan----------------------------008
Saudi Arabia----------------------004
Canada---------------------------002
Norway/Sweden-------------------001
USA------------------------------000

IPCS03 Option C
RSS Installed----------------------128
Premium Unleaded Fuel Only graphic
supression (digital panel)-----------064
Daytime Running Lamps Enabled------032
Cellular Telephone Installed (enables/
disables HVAC control on steering
column as well as phone)------------016
BTSI message supression(brake to
shift indicator)--------------------004
Options Not Set--------------------002
FUEL LEVEL LOW message supression-001

IPCS04 Option D (HVAC Options)
AfterBlow Enabled------------------128
De-Ice Installed--------------------064
Timed Recirc Enabled---------------016
Dual Zone HVAC installed------------008

IPCS05 Option E (Driver Message Center Options)
COOLANT TEMP---------------------064
BATTERY VOLTS--------------------032
ENGINE RPM------------------------016
AVG MPH--------------------------008
MPH------------------------------004
FUEL USED-------------------------002
INST MPG--------------------------001

It might be....I don't have any reference to the DRL enable/disable via the IPC Options on my reference...but it is a quickie card that may not have included it. My overall list is similar to yours except for option D it is a little different.... afterblow HVAC.....128
afterboil HVAC......64
DE-ICE option HVAC.....32
Timed recirc HVAC.....16
Dual Zone HVAC.....8

The_Raven
02-16-04, 04:55 PM
Howyadoin,

So should I set the value for RSS Installed in Option C, or leave it alone? If the struts were bad, I'd get an SRC regardless of the option setting, is that correct?

Thanks as always!

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

P.S. I've got to post here more often so I can get my post count out of the newb range... That "Junior Member" tag seems so...inadequate... :)

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 10:07 PM
Howyadoin,

So should I set the value for RSS Installed in Option C, or leave it alone? If the struts were bad, I'd get an SRC regardless of the option setting, is that... :)

Hmm.... try it and see. I don't think that it matters, honestly as the RSS was not an option so it couldn't be bypassed via the options in the IPC. My other resource also shows that the 128 RSS value was not available for 96 but, it too, is not really official. The suspension is going to act the same regardless...the option just gives the advantage of eliminating any messages.....