: Does The Tornado Really work? And Cold air intake!!!

CadillacDon
08-30-06, 11:58 AM
Ok, I was thinkin about getting the tornado for my car but I wanted to know if it works before I spen $60 on it.

And also has any1 ever built a cold air system for their northstar? I have a 97 cadillac deville that is getting about 24 on the highway and around 19 in the city depending on how I feel. I know thats pretty good for that big car but I wanted to see if I could get any better!

Thanks in advance!

-CadillacDon-

boricuacaddy
08-30-06, 12:20 PM
Hi, if you do a search on the forum about the tornado or any other gadget that promise more horsepower, you will find that almost every member on here would not recommend it.

David

caddydaddy
08-30-06, 12:30 PM
Just send me the $60 and we'll call it a day! :)

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 12:48 PM
i cant believe he seriously asked that question...

Ranger
08-30-06, 02:50 PM
Of coarse it works. They said so in the advertizing, didn't they. You don't think they would lie, do you?

AlBundy
08-30-06, 03:02 PM
Give him a brake. He didn't know. Just use the search option, read the threads and then you will understand every comment made on this thread.

dkozloski
08-30-06, 03:39 PM
You need to buy about a half dozen of them and stack them up. First put a drain in the gas tank because it's going to slop over the top.

JimD
08-30-06, 03:50 PM
Ok, I was thinkin about getting the tornado for my car but I wanted to know if it works before I spen $60 on it.....

-CadillacDon-

That device is not specifically mentioned in the article below, but you can get the general idea.

Simply Amazing! (The Promises, Not the Gas Savings)

By TIM MORAN
Published: August 6, 2006
THE federal Environmental Protection Agency maintains a full laboratory where it
will gladly test a miraculous fuel-saving device for $30,000. But so far, the
biggest customer of the lab has been the Federal Trade Commission, which uses it
to debunk false advertising claims.

The latest products have received a lift from the Internet and television
infomercials. But while the inventiveness of the marketing has improved, the
success of the devices has not.

“We tested about 100 products, a little more than a hundred, and we can boil
them down to saying that they don’t work,” John Millett, an E.P.A. spokesman,
said.

The F.T.C. lists the results of its tests at the E.P.A. lab on its consumer
protection Web site, www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.pdf. If the
F.T.C. decides a product is falsely advertised it can take action against the
company selling it.

The E.P.A. reviews the chemicals used in gasoline additives, to ensure that what
comes out of the tailpipe is no more harmful than emissions from regular fuel.
It then issues a registration letter.

This letter does not constitute approval or endorsement, but marketers often use
it to claim E.P.A. “certification.”

Some fuel or oil additives can be a problem for engines and fuel systems.
Additives displace protective chemicals in gasoline and engine oil; some may
corrode fuel pumps or gas tanks, or make flexible fuel hoses and fittings
brittle. Instead of enhancing engine life and economy, users might shorten their
car’s life.

A senior editor at Popular Mechanics magazine, Mike Allen, found results similar
to those obtained by the E.P.A. when he took a crateful of fuel-saving
contraptions to a Texas testing lab to check their effectiveness. “None of them
improved fuel economy, several of them increased fuel consumption and most of
them cost horsepower,” Mr. Allen said in an interview.

To test the gizmos, Mr. Allen used a pair of chassis dynamometers made available
by the Universal Technical Institute, a Houston vocational school. A dynamometer
is a machine that measures the power output of a running vehicle on rollers to
allow its wheels to spin as though they were rolling along pavement.

When fuel consumption was carefully measured, first without and then with the
so-called “enhancers” — everything from the Fuel Atomizer 2000, a gadget that
took fuel through a big loop of copper tubing to vaporize it and pump it back
into the engine, to the Electronic Engine Ionizer, a device that is supposed to
feed energy back and forth to one cylinder or another through clip-on wires.
Some gadgets were hard to install; others were hazardous. “This device had
something they called ‘capacitor blocks,’ ” Mr. Allen said of the Electronic
Engine Ionizer. “They melted and dripped onto the adjustment bolt and caught
fire.”

Another device, the AquaTune, cost $399 and resulted in 20 less horsepower and a
20 percent drop in mileage.

Mr. Allen reported on his findings in the magazine’s September 2005 issue. He
recalled recently that after a week of testing he had gained respect not for the
technology involved, but for the persuasive skills of promoters.

He pointed out that any carmaker that could honestly promise economy gains of
300 percent, 30 percent or even 3 percent would be doing that rather than
offering cash incentives to sell vehicles in a brutally competitive global
market.

Auto companies employ some of the world’s top engineers, and they are desperate
for an edge in the economy sweepstakes. “The possibility that some guy who’s
tinkering in his back yard is going to come up with it is really remote,” Mr.
Allen said.

Why do people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on a well-engineered
car believe that the $100 Fuel Genie, the $198 Platinum Gas Saver or the $70
TornadoFuelSaver might reap huge benefits?

On ABC News’s “20/20,” the inventor of the Platinum Gas Saver asserted that
skepticism over his product was partly because of a smear campaign by the
tobacco industry — and he then posted on his Web site a brash “as seen on”
reference to the newsmagazine.

Gas-Saving Traps
Dr. Carl Haugtvedt, a social psychologist who is an associate professor of
marketing logistics at Ohio State University, said that the kind of faith that
draws consumers to gadgets like these was actually important to human mental
health. Part of the attraction stems from hopefulness and a willingness to trust
that something can improve a painful situation. Another factor is self-delusion,
which protects the ego by letting a person overlook bad decisions.

“You could admit to yourself that you were wrong, you wasted this money, you
burned this money, say ‘I’m an idiot,’ ” Dr. Haugtvedt said. “That’s very tough
on the self.”

People who are hopeful enough to try out a fuel-economy enhancer will look for
any positive sign they can find to convince themselves that they made a good
decision. They may put the device in their car and, at the same time, get a
tune-up — something suggested in the installation instructions with many
devices. Or, because the owners are paying more attention to their cars, they
may realize that their tires are underinflated and add some air. Then, each time
they add fuel at the gas pump, they attribute any mileage gain to the device.

Consumer Reports’ experts are accustomed to such consumer behavior. David
Champion, director of automobile testing, urges people to be aware of how cars
work so they can be wiser buyers. When the magazine recently tested the Fuel
Genie, the TornadoFuelSaver and the Platinum Gas Saver, it found they had no
effect.

“We read the instructions extremely well, followed them to the absolute letter,
and did a fuel-economy run,” Mr. Champion said. The drives were done using fuel
meters spliced into the gasoline lines to measure the volume of fuel consumed,
and the same test runs used to evaluate new cars were performed. “They didn’t
make any difference at all,” he said.

Mr. Champion said drivers should look beyond the powerful advertising behind the
devices and, instead, modify their driving. “Drive as if you’ve got a cup of
coffee on your dashboard and you don’t want to spill it,” he said. “No heavy
acceleration, no heavy braking.”

Mr. Allen, at Popular Mechanics, has an alternate solution. “If you want to save
gas,” he said, “stay home.”

New York Times

FrankT
08-30-06, 04:21 PM
Does The Tornado Really work?
:banghead: NO : :banghead:

dratts
08-30-06, 06:22 PM
Why wouldn't it work? Restriction in the intake is a good thing isn't it?

JimHare
08-30-06, 07:40 PM
Ok, I was thinkin about getting the tornado for my car but I wanted to know if it works before I spen $60 on it.

And also has any1 ever built a cold air system for their northstar? I have a 97 cadillac deville that is getting about 24 on the highway and around 19 in the city depending on how I feel. I know thats pretty good for that big car but I wanted to see if I could get any better!

Thanks in advance!

-CadillacDon-

Well, Don, as you've probably gathered, there's not a lot of support for a Tornado here... and rightly so.

Back in the day, before I found this site, and learned my lesson, I bought one for my '99 Deville. Didn't do a thing except make the Northstar run rougher, and lighten my wallet by $70 bucks.

The reason it DOESN'T work is that you place it just before the MAF (Mass AirFlow sensor), which measures the temperature of the incoming air and adjusts fuel mixture to suit. The MAF is a very dense, but correctly engineered "screen" which looks, to the untrained eye, as though it just clogs things up, and should be cut out.

DO NOT DO THIS.

I have an inkling that the engineers kinda knew what they were doing here, and doubt very much that they thought to themselves, "hey, lets put a bigass piece of screen in the intake and cut the incoming air down, so we reduce power and economy, and give the Tornado guys something to work with..."

After passing the MAF screen, the incoming air rushes at a goodly pace through the intake runners and gets directed to the random open intake valve. The air flow takes a couple of turns before it hits the valves, so any "turbulence' or 'atomization' generated by the Tornado would be smoothed out by either the MAF screen, or the intake runners.

It just doesn't work.

But don't be afraid to ask any questions. That's how we all learned.

Also, the general consenus seems to be that a K&N type filter will also negatively affect milage, power and wallet. The stock, paper AC Delco guy is as good as it's gonna get for us.

The Northstar manges to pump 300 horsepower out of 281 cubic inches and return very decent mileage, considering the weight of the car it's pulling around. There just isn't ANY cheap, drop-in gain from anything to be had. If you do a quick search on things like "K&N" or "Performance", you'll see that there's not much to do.

1) Nitrous oxide is used by a couple of guys here, with good results.
2) A free-er flowing exhaust will help a little bit - GM did try to knoodle down the roar of the Northstar by putting in a quiet exhaust, so if you can let the back end flow a little more, that is a bit of a help.

Hope this helps.

STScadillac
08-30-06, 08:45 PM
i cant believe he seriously asked that question...

Its easier just to say no instead of being an ass about it. Its a simple question and its need a simple answer not a smart ass comment from you!

chazglenn3
08-30-06, 09:35 PM
:yeah:

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 09:50 PM
funny how everyone jumped on his ass about it i said something more along the lines of joking and you crawl up my ass...

i could of said something alot worse why dont you read what other people said before singleing me out

like dk or caddydaddy said anything more polite...
my opinion is it was a stupid question and im allowed to think it thank you very much PEACE

STScadillac
08-30-06, 10:14 PM
funny how everyone jumped on his ass about it i said something more along the lines of joking and you crawl up my ass...

i could of said something alot worse why dont you read what other people said before singleing me out

like dk or caddydaddy said anything more polite...
my opinion is it was a stupid question and im allowed to think it thank you very much PEACE

You came across more of jerk than any of those other guys. Ive read other threads that you have posted in and you sound like a jackass in those other threads as well.

STScadillac
08-30-06, 10:23 PM
he said his sticker is gone hench why i listed those two ways

you put the tranny into 2nd gear and then you lauch it i never said speed up then put it into 2nd gear, dont get critical with my advice when you have no idea what it ment...

w/e anyone with common sence should of assumed i ment from the start b/c as you said and as i know droping it down like that is horrid on a tranny

All 3 of these out of the same thread!!

I don't care if you state your opinion you just don't have to be such an ass about it when you do. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone else can state their opinion without coming across as an ass.

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 10:24 PM
ooo now whos being rude your making me sad...
oh yea i dont care almost forgot that time!

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 10:26 PM
ok in all of those quotes you said there nothing in there about being an ass i was pointing out obvious things. i suppose if your a complete dunce or maybe just ignorant you wouldnt know these things (even though plain as day he stated the door was gone and if youd search youd see a k&n and the tornado is useless), it may come off sounding like an ass or maybe a really novel idea read the whole thread before stating something like check the sticker when it clearly stated in his 1st post the door was replace and theres no sticker.. oh wait you 19 and probably know nothing.. never mind

and before you make some witty comeback because im 19, ive been working on caddys since i was 14, which doesnt make me a scholar but sure as heck means i know alot more than you do...

STScadillac
08-30-06, 10:30 PM
The reason im being an ass now is to defend the people that your an ass too. I don't care if you have worked on cadillacs since your were 14 this isn't about cadillacs this is about you not treating people with respect. Try pointing out obvious things without implying that people have no common sense and getting all defensive when someone didn't understand what you said.

STScadillac
08-30-06, 10:36 PM
ive been working on caddys since i was 14, which doesnt make me a scholar but sure as heck means i know alot more than you do...

You probably do but like i said before this isn't about your knowledge of cadillac this is how you treat people. You get it now?

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 10:37 PM
heres an idea...
i dont care what you think...
sorry your opinions i dont care for...
i have a low tolerance for those you cant use a button labeled search or read what the problem is fully before posting a retarded answer, thats just asking for a smart ass comment to be made...
with that said im done lowering myself to the age of 2 and bickering with you goodbye

STScadillac
08-30-06, 10:39 PM
Fine with me!

the727kid
08-30-06, 10:58 PM
LMFAO at STScadillac he has E-feelings and I think ETC97 hurt them.

STScadillac
08-30-06, 11:01 PM
:rolleyes: yes he did im so sad :rolleyes:

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 11:06 PM
you realize the kid was being an ass to you right there omg he needs a stern talking to!

STScadillac
08-30-06, 11:23 PM
with that said im done lowering myself to the age of 2 and bickering with you goodbye

Thought you were done bickering? Apparently you can't stop yourself from acting 2.

Ranger
08-30-06, 11:48 PM
The guy asked an honest question to which we all responded based on our expirience here. Perhaps he is new to forums and unaware of search features. We were all new at one point. Perhaps I was a bit sarcastic as well, but I couldn't resist. The devil made me do it. Certainly no insult was intended, just trying to make a point, don't believe everything you read and if it sounds to good tro be true, it probably is.

Boombotz
08-31-06, 07:17 AM
I think this thread has went far enough and will be closed now! I believe that we are all adults and should behave like them. Not all people are aware of the search features and maybe that would be a better way to suggest an answer next time. People come here to get answers, and he certainly got more of an answer than he bargained for with the replies by many!