: Vibration is scaring me!

Strizzack
08-30-06, 11:40 AM
About 1 week ago I noticed my car suddenly got loud on the highway. I was traveling around 60 mph and it was almost as if I was driving on a rough road. This problem is permanent now as its been happening ever since.

Theres a vibration coming from around the front wheels and its kind of loud to...like a low rumbling. As I increase my speed, the vibration and noise gets louder. I have my assumptions, such as CV boots, Tie Rods, or maybe bad alignment, but I'm no mechanic.

Has anybody experienced this problem before or maybe have some ideas of what it could be?

Thanks

btw, I have a '97 Catera with 112,000 miles.

investor74
08-30-06, 02:28 PM
Hello,

I had the same thing a while ago. I stopped the car and looked at the tires. Due to faulty alignment, one front tire was worn down to the metal on the inside where you cannot easily see it. The rest of the tire looked like it had plenty of tread. I was so scared, I changed to the spare tire.

Barry
'97 Forest Green Catera (origninal owner)

Strizzack
08-30-06, 03:38 PM
I'll check that out. Thanks for the reply!

Strizzack
08-30-06, 05:13 PM
The tires seem to be fine. Any other ideas?

AllenPacla
08-31-06, 11:38 PM
Have the car checked for alignment, and then have them check on other parts that maybe loose or faulty.

CadiJeff
08-31-06, 11:56 PM
Wheel Bearing would be my first thought, second would be a missing cyl.

carate
09-01-06, 01:07 PM
I would look at the tires again. My 97 had a similar rumbling noise and the cause was feathering on the front tires. It wasn't so much one side was worn down, it was the tread wearing down on one edge. If you look at the tire cross-sectionally you may notice the rear of one block of rubber is lower than the front edge of the block nextdoor. Traps air and causes rumble noise. New tires + Alignment and Camber check are required.

TriZz
09-01-06, 05:53 PM
Mine does that, and the dealership just told me that my ignition coil has shorted out which is misfiring cylinder 1. They quoted me 800+ to fix. I have about the same milage on my 97 as you do.

Strizzack
09-01-06, 06:44 PM
Mine does that, and the dealership just told me that my ignition coil has shorted out which is misfiring cylinder 1. They quoted me 800+ to fix. I have about the same milage on my 97 as you do.

How bad is it to drive with 1 cylinder misfiring???

dkozloski
09-03-06, 03:24 AM
How bad is it to drive with 1 cylinder misfiring???
If you drive with misfires you'll burn up the catalytic converter. They are very spendy.

figgie
09-07-06, 10:14 AM
ok

the shaking

might be a couple of things

in my 98 i have had to replace the both tie rods ends and about to replace one of the again as it has worn out.

Barring that.

missing cylinder requires the piece of crap bosch ignition coil pack to be replaced. cost for the coil pack is 200-400. More than likely if the coil pack went the worthless crap igntion wires went also (98 & 97). I ditched the bosch coil pack and retrofitted a GM coil pack (mine is an electromotive inc unit that they sell for their standalones). no problems yet and if one coil burns out, i just replace that ONE coil, no need to replace the entire worthless coilpack.

Warez
09-07-06, 11:57 AM
Theres a vibration coming from around the front wheels and its kind of loud to...like a low rumbling. As I increase my speed, the vibration and noise gets louder. I have my assumptions, such as CV boots, Tie Rods, or maybe bad alignment, but I'm no mechanic.

The Catera is rear wheel drive so it has no CV boots in the front. Also a bad alighnment is unlikely to cause vibration issues, check your tire wear.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? It sounds like a wheel balance issue.

Catera V
09-07-06, 04:11 PM
Make sure the wheels are tight (that you do not have loose lug nuts). If ok swap tires front to rear and see if the problem follows the tires or stays with the suspension. It could be a tire ply separation starting to happen.

bobbarker
09-07-06, 07:41 PM
My 98 Cat experience vibrations last year. I had to replace my control arms, tie rod ends and bushings. The inside walls of all my tires were also badly cracked.