: fitting aftermarket (read: bigger) brake rotors...do-able?

wamanning
08-30-06, 12:16 AM
seeing my new 18" wheels and how puny the brake rotors look swimming in those big openings got me thinking...is it possible to fit larger aftermarket front rotors?

i'd imagine it would require new calipers, too.

if the larger rotors/calipers are possible, what about maintaining stock ABS functionality? i would imagine there would need to be some sort of calibration to ensure proper ABS functionality.

walter

netager
08-30-06, 12:51 AM
If it's only about looks - that will be an expensive fix :) I think front big brake kit from respectable brand is around $1500+ plus custom installation, etc. IMO it's not worth of trying... Just google "big brakes kit bmw" for ex. and take a look on prices for Brembo, Rotora, Wilwood... Pricy...

Maybe they have some kit in Europe or Australia? Commondors are popular Omega based vehicles there...

wamanning
08-30-06, 01:13 AM
i figured it would be pretty complex/expensive. thx.

aldi
08-30-06, 02:56 AM
It`s possible but expensive. You can buy a MOV-IT Kit with 320mm discs and 4-piston calipers. There is also someone in germany selling a kit with 340mm discs that is not that expensive (I think he uses Audi calipers). If I find more infos about this, I will post it.

There is also a conversion kit to fit a 322mm brake of a Porsche 996.
The kit can be found here (sorry, but only german site):
DH-EXCLUSIV - Exclusive Fahrzeuge und mehr..... (http://www.dh-exclusiv.de/br_technik.htm)

aldi
08-30-06, 11:58 AM
I found it. The pictures are at the bottom of this site (only german too). They are not 340 but 335mm discs.

opelfrank.de (http://www.opelfrank.de/1785.html)

Warez
09-06-06, 04:15 AM
what about maintaining stock ABS functionality? i would imagine there would need to be some sort of calibration to ensure proper ABS functionality.

walter

No ABS modifications are required for any car when upgrading brakes.

I've been considering the 4-piston Brembo CTS-V calipers (same calipers come on the Dodge Viper, Ferrari 360 and many other high end sports cars), they are very cheap at ~$150 with the discount I get from my GM dealer. I doub't that they would bolt up directly but I can easily have any machine shop fab a bracket for me for little cost as it would be quite simple. Larger rotors with aluminum hats can also be had for very cheap from a variety of suppliers such a Baer, StopTec etc. In the end you'll easily save over $1500 instead of going with an aftermarket kit.

GM Parts Direct sells a single caliper for $166 including pads:

GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=25750250)

guardian
09-06-06, 05:46 PM
Your need for larger brakes should derive more from application than from appearance:

If, for example, you are racing or even rallying the car: go for it.

If you plan extensive driving in mountainous or even extremely hilly terrain: larger brakes deserve your consideration. I assume this would likely be some distance from Detroit. For example, regardless where you make your home, if you drive extensively in western Colorado or Montana, consider the brake upgrade seriously.

But to upgrade the brakes without without justification might not be prudent. You are messing with a factory designed, tested, and proven brake system, after all. It works, and works well, for all normal driving circumstances.

If it "ain't broke", don't fix it just for appearances.:tisk: You could end up worse off than you are now, mechanically and hydraulically speaking.

For sure you will be poorer. :eek: