: Car Won't Run...

DopeStar 156
08-29-06, 03:32 PM
It's odd, I just tried to go out and my car ran just fine until I tried to drop the idle. I dropped it and it sputtered and stalled. Everytime I tried to restart it it would do the same unless I gave it gas. Even in drive gears the same thing. Anyone got any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

pimpin88
08-29-06, 05:03 PM
Cant tell too much from the description, but maybe check the fuel filter. Last winter, I was out at a ski resort near us, and when I went to leave the car started and ran for about 30 seconds. Enough for me to just begin pulling out of my parking spot. All of a sudden it sputtered and died. I was able to start it one more time and it did the same thing after about 3 seconds. Ended up replacing the fuel pump, and all it was was the fuel filter.

pimpin88
08-29-06, 05:04 PM
check your vaccuum lines too

FASSTWOOD
08-29-06, 06:36 PM
Check for spark first. If you got spark then move on to fuel... I think checking for spark would be easier than checking for other things first. Some times those little fuel filters do clog up outta no where it might be that. But eliminate the ignition as the culprit before you move on...

pimpin88
08-29-06, 07:23 PM
an easy way to check for fuel is to look down into the carb with the engine off, and pump the gas. see if there is some spray going into the carb.

DopeStar 156
08-30-06, 02:40 AM
Ok, update. I just tried it now and it runs fine. Started right up, let it run on high idle for about a minute, then dropped it. It stayed running, and ran in drive gears as well. This time I let it run on high a little longer. I neglected to mention before that was the first time I started the car in 6 days. Perhaps it was a little "stiff" from sitting.