: How are the V's holding up?

commander112
08-28-06, 07:10 PM
I am looking at a 2005 CTS-V with 44,000 on the clock. I don't drive more than about 10K per year so if the cars are holding together pretty well I'd consider picking it up. So what is the deal?
By the way, I have an 06 STS4 V8 that my wife drives and while overall I am very happy with the car I do hear it starting to rattle here and there with only 7,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks,
Mark

joshdctsv
08-28-06, 07:22 PM
Watch the diff closely before you hit 50k (when the warrenty will expire) on it, otherwise you should be fine. The engine is solid. That's 50+% over the avg miles for an 05 which suggests mostly highway usage. A good sign, I would think.

Pillboy
08-28-06, 08:00 PM
My experience with boards like this on the internet is that, regardless of product type, you will think the product you have bought is the worst designed and poorly built product ever - as everyone who has a problem complains.

My V has held up for 27K miles. It is on its 3rd set of tires, has the occassional dash/interior rattle that drives me nuts but other than that is A-OK. I certainly don't trust this car to handle burn-outs but that is not why I bought it. YMMV.

commander112
08-28-06, 08:24 PM
I agree with your comments Pillboy. The nature of forums like this is that we come here for solutions to our problems. I also realize that the single biggest issue out there is the rear diff problem but I'm sure that not every car has had an issue with it or GM would have addressed it. Overall, is the car holding up for those of you on this board?
Also, I see that the LS6 was changed to the LS2 for 06, what is the main difference in the motors? I see a displacement difference but don't they both make the same power?

Mark

gcollier
08-28-06, 08:38 PM
Mine now has 24k miles on it and no major problems. I replaced the run flats with 12k miles and no problems since.

crypto_coyle79
08-28-06, 09:53 PM
I too am on my 3rd set of tires by 27*** miles and my lower driver's side A arm fell off at highway speeds around 10*** miles but on the up side I'm still on my first Diff and radio.:bouncy:

Florian
08-28-06, 10:38 PM
60K miles, still loving the V.

F

JAY WEST
08-29-06, 12:17 AM
40k miles on 05, a few little things, not another car I would rather own though...

rand49er
08-29-06, 08:21 AM
Watch the diff closely before you hit 50k (when the warrenty will expire) on it, otherwise you should be fine. The engine is solid. That's 50+% over the avg miles for an 05 which suggests mostly highway usage. A good sign, I would think.:yeah:

Turned 30k yesterday :crybaby: and all is well. (Geez, that Florian must live in his car.)

jspridge
08-29-06, 08:30 AM
52K for me. Only the diff, radio, and sail panels are recurring problems. Tell the seller (assuming it's a dealer) that you want a warranty extension to 100K miles for those items and you'll be fine. Other than those annoyances, it's hard not to love this car.

Florian
08-29-06, 11:10 AM
:yeah:

(Geez, that Florian must live in his car.)

In a V, down by the river!!!!!..........

M. Foley

F

nxlr8
08-29-06, 11:11 AM
I've only had mine for 3k, so I can't say much... no problems though...

As for the nature of these boards... they would be pretty boring and this one (especially) would fill up REAL quick if everyone who didn't have a problem posted each day just to say "hey, another day with no problems!"... I know I wouldn't want to read that

So... I use the forums to find out what the problems ARE... then when they occur, I know how to resolve them quickly and easily... more times than not... with this car and others, when something has failed, I knew what it was and how to fix it without even blinking an eye...

The people on these forums are some of the BEST people to have in your back pocket... use them wisely and THANK THEM OFTEN!!!

SwampFox
08-29-06, 02:46 PM
13.5K on my 06 and no major problems. Love it completely. still have good rubber on the original RS-A tires. There is some road noise from the tires, but I have experienced this before in other cars. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it is the tires or the diff which I can hear from 40-45mph. The V is spactacular on the twisties.
If you are buying that car from a Cadillac dealer, be sure to get the 100k warranty they are offering as incentive.

Nxlr8 is right about this forum. I decided to buy the car mainly because of this one AND cadillacfaq.com. Thanks Reed!

Jschmank
08-29-06, 03:56 PM
I have 15000 on my 05. Everything is like new (of course some of it is actually new) but no problems. It is still tight, smells good, sounds good, and drives great. It is a great car to get in and drive every day.

ctsvflorida
08-29-06, 04:08 PM
19k and no complaints here other normal wear and tear. No sunroof is a key to no rattles as I have zero rattles. I purposely looked for one with no roof because of all the mods I plan to do. I have gone over 155mph 2 or 3 times and 140 constantly and the roof will suck in to the car, the way it DOES NOT want to go, causing rattling problems! Any V owner, who has gone this fast, can attest to that rattle! Anyway, no complaints here and the V is the coolest car I have ever owned, and I've had quite a few! This is also the best forum with the best people, bar none! As someone else mentioned in their reply! :worship:

commander112
08-29-06, 07:21 PM
Went and drove her today. The car idled a little rough and had tires with minimal life left on them. I did get alot of tire noise (nothing like our STS) so I could not tell if it was diff noise. The carfax report showed absolutely nothing other than it was registered in late '04 with 50 miles on it. The car did appear real clean overall. I may make them replace the rubber and throw in the certified warranty and make them an offer.

Mark

Slywun
08-29-06, 11:07 PM
I originally bought my with the intention on driving it sparingly and 12 months and 26K later (on my 2005) I'm finding that I can't stop driving it. Currently the Caddy is in the shop getting my Extreme Composite hood painted - can't wait. It's great - best car I've owned.
My Acura (2002 w 50K) is now my garage queen and have only put 2k miles on it in the past year.

joshdctsv
08-30-06, 10:18 AM
...The car idled a little rough ...

I believe they all do. As someone here once wisely put it, that's 400 pissed off ponies trying to break loose.:bouncy:

1QUICKV
08-30-06, 10:33 AM
my car idles rough and i'm thinking its the motor mount, due to the oil leak from the mount on the left...? and i can't stop driving the car too. its just so much funn.... but when i don't drive it i always see some stupid kid who thinks he has a race car.... =(

Silver Dollar
08-30-06, 10:46 AM
I have 3,000 on the odo and I have a peeling nav button.

Anyone know a good lemon lawyer?

(:))

nxlr8
08-30-06, 11:09 AM
I believe they all do. As someone here once wisely put it, that's 400 pissed off ponies trying to break loose.:bouncy:

Or, to quote someone else from this forum... "That's the Beast trying to get out"... I use that one often...

CIWS
08-30-06, 12:32 PM
Went and drove her today. The car idled a little rough and had tires with minimal life left on them. I did get alot of tire noise (nothing like our STS) so I could not tell if it was diff noise. The carfax report showed absolutely nothing other than it was registered in late '04 with 50 miles on it. The car did appear real clean overall. I may make them replace the rubber and throw in the certified warranty and make them an offer.

Mark

No suprise the idle may feel a little rough, especially if you're in a STS. This motor has a "happy" cam ;)

I would definately say make sure it goes on the certified pre-owner program and get it to 6/100K, that way you're covered. If they will do the tires you'll have to decide on what type you want, Run Flats or non-Run Flats. If you go with non Run Flats remember this car normally does not come with a spare tire in it. :)

commander112
08-30-06, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll call the dealer and see what they will go for. I'll keep you all posted.

Mark

Novi
09-18-06, 02:59 PM
Just clicked over to 40k. Will be putting on fourth set of tires around Xmas. (two F1 runcrap and Bridgestone S-03's, currently). 1 new diff, 1 set of brakes, maintenance for squeaky sunroof, oil changes and executed all the tsb's. Since I rotate my tire's every 3000 miles and align the front end as needed. I'd tires are the only headache.

Sick03L
09-18-06, 05:42 PM
I'm a new owner as well. Make sure you have or get an 100,000 mile extended warrenty for it. I have a good aftermarket warrenty but wish I had the GM B2B instead.

LV_V
09-18-06, 08:46 PM
A quick note, if the car shakes too much and shakes a LOT when shut off, have the dealer check the motor mounts. Most likely one is bad.

commander112
09-19-06, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I bought the car about a 10 days ago.

Mark

CIWS
09-19-06, 09:03 AM
Congrats Dude !! :thumbsup:

Silver Dollar
09-19-06, 09:30 AM
4,000 miles and I still have my original differential!

SwampFox
09-28-06, 12:36 PM
15k on my 06 and love the car. Like the others, there have been minor irritants, but this is the most fun car I have ever owned. No diff issues, but like others I don't do burn outs which is not to say I don't get the carbon out on a daily basis. Highly recommended for someone who loves to drive a performance car and knows how.