: New tires

sgilbert
08-28-06, 06:01 PM
At 34,000 miles, I'm getting close to needing new tires. Fronts are worn, and rears look good, but one of them has a bad belt or something. This is the V8 with smaller fronts than rear.

Original Michelin Pilots are going to be $100 more than Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge (exact size for size) The GY's have a 440 treadwear rating and VR rating w/ A's on all else.

Anyone have any experience w/ these GY's? See any reason not to switch to GY's?

05SRXV8
08-28-06, 07:19 PM
I have not used the GY's but some of my family members have and have nothing but good things to say about them. I will likely change to the GY's when I need new tires. Look at Tire Rack for comparisons.

RedGalant2k1
08-28-06, 08:59 PM
Get the Goodyears you won't be disappointed.

sgilbert
08-28-06, 10:09 PM
I started with Tire Rack--they don't list anything for my SRX except OEM Michelins. I found the exact sizes for my SRX in GY, Pirelli, and Michelin at Discount Tire's web site.

Looks like GY will be the replacement. Thanks guys.

robhersch
08-28-06, 11:11 PM
The Goodyears sound too good to be true; the GY ads say they use a carbon fiber structure and $100 (per tire or for a set of 4??), VR rating, and 440 wear rating are truly motivating factors!! Thanks for the DiscountTireWebSite reference.
Does anyone have recommendations on replacement tire sizes? Since SRX V8 original sizes are 235/60R18 on front & 255/55R18 on rear, what are potential risks in changing to the same size on both front and rear? Although the 255 rear might offer a bit more bite for 0-60 and the 235 front might ease steering a bit, is the steering, handling or stability likely to be degraded with the same size all around?
I seem to recall a recent article with some data that concluded lower profile tires reduce their ability to absorb "pothole shock" and are prone to much faster tread wear.
I have an acquaintance that went from 18s to 22s on a Tundra V8; he found such significant degradations in ride, handling, and tread wear that he paid big $$$ to go back to the stock 18s.

RedGalant2k1
08-29-06, 01:34 AM
The Goodyears sound too good to be true; the GY ads say they use a carbon fiber structure and $100 (per tire or for a set of 4??), VR rating, and 440 wear rating are truly motivating factors!! Thanks for the DiscountTireWebSite reference.

Its not a 8 layer carbon fiber weave or anything. Its a carbon fiber reinforcement for the tires sidewall improve responsiveness a give you better road feel.

Does anyone have recommendations on replacement tire sizes? Since SRX V8 original sizes are 235/60R18 on front & 255/55R18 on rear, what are potential risks in changing to the same size on both front and rear? Although the 255 rear might offer a bit more bite for 0-60 and the 235 front might ease steering a bit, is the steering, handling or stability likely to be degraded with the same size all around?

After discussing this with a local Cadillac dealership it doesn't pose any issues on a SRX to run the same size tire at all corners.

I seem to recall a recent article with some data that concluded lower profile tires reduce their ability to absorb "pothole shock" and are prone to much faster tread wear.
I have an acquaintance that went from 18s to 22s on a Tundra V8; he found such significant degradations in ride, handling, and tread wear that he paid big $$$ to go back to the stock 18s.

Depends on the company with whom you purchase tires from. Most companies nowadays design their low profile offerings with a 'extra load' designation in mind. That means if anything purchasing from companies like Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo and others that article is incorrect.

If anything they are stronger than your average standard profile tire.

As far as degradation of ride, handling, treadwear, thats mostly subjective. Handling is a guarenteed improvement because the tires sidewall is shorter increasing a vehicles responsiveness by shear design.

Ride largely depends on the tires construction, of which many tires today are very highly engineered to provide good ride, good performance, and good treadwear.

I should say you have three categories that are related when you build a tire, and you can't have all three. If you want a good performing and good riding tire, you give a little in treadwear. Same goes for a good treadwear tire and a good riding tire you give a little in performance.

In my experience Goodyear has been hands down the best company at fulfilling all three criteria in recent years. In my professional experience and opinion you can't go wrong with a Goodyear tire.

sgilbert
08-29-06, 01:18 PM
Robhersch, Where did you get the $100/tire? Discount Tire's price is $174-235's & $179-255's each plus, plus, plus; grand total, installed, including 6% Indiana tax equals $ 896.40.

louisn
08-29-06, 03:44 PM
Robhersch, Where did you get the $100/tire? Discount Tire's price is $174-235's & $179-255's each plus, plus, plus; grand total, installed, including 6% Indiana tax equals $ 896.40.
I had the exact same experience!!
What's up???
:confused:

jgn
08-29-06, 06:37 PM
Shop by size on Tire Rack. The 255 GY's are $164

Quadrasteer
08-29-06, 07:58 PM
I've never had good experience with Goodyears but I hear that the new ones are getting better. Look at the reviews. I live in a snow area so this is what I'm going with.

Found this Nokian tire, Tire Selection (http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=17) Looks like I'm going with it, comes in both our sizes. I had along talk with their tech in TN and he convinced me. Make sure that there is an XL after the size because that designates extra rubber in the bead area to support more weight. On their site it only lists the 235s with the XL but in his listing the 255s had the XL too. The Tire Factory sells them with free shipping but the price of the tire itself is a little higher. There is also their Finnish global site @ www.nokiantyre.com (http://www.nokiantyre.com/). He said that not all the info is updated on the sites and that's why when you search by vehicle (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/82663-rotated-tires-side-side-have-burning.html#) this tire dosen't show up. Here's an interesting snow tire site. Snow Tire FAQ (http://snowtire.info/)

robhersch
08-29-06, 11:08 PM
At 34,000 miles, I'm getting close to needing new tires. Fronts are worn, and rears look good, but one of them has a bad belt or something. This is the V8 with smaller fronts than rear.

Original Michelin Pilots are going to be $100 more than Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge (exact size for size) The GY's have a 440 treadwear rating and VR rating w/ A's on all else.

Sorry to be confused on prices, but I got the $100 from this thread #1 above.

louisn
08-30-06, 07:32 AM
Sorry to be confused on prices, but I got the $100 from this thread #1 above.
Now I think the first post meant a total saving of $100 on 4 new tires.

sgilbert
08-30-06, 09:41 AM
Now I think the first post meant a total saving of $100 on 4 new tires.

That's what I meant, but somehow, my fingers don't always do what my feeble mind tells them to do! :thepan:

Smokin' SRX
08-30-06, 04:45 PM
I've never had good experience with Goodyears but I hear that the new ones are getting better. Look at the reviews. I live in a snow area so this is what I'm going with.

Found this Nokian tire, Tire Selection (http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=17) Looks like I'm going with it, comes in both our sizes. I had along talk with their tech in TN and he convinced me. Make sure that there is an XL after the size because that designates extra rubber in the bead area to support more weight. On their site it only lists the 235s with the XL but in his listing the 255s had the XL too. The Tire Factory sells them with free shipping but the price of the tire itself is a little higher. There is also their Finnish global site @ www.nokiantyre.com (http://www.nokiantyre.com/). He said that not all the info is updated on the sites and that's why when you search by vehicle (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/82663-rotated-tires-side-side-have-burning.html#) this tire dosen't show up. Here's an interesting snow tire site. Snow Tire FAQ (http://snowtire.info/)

Caution! I went with an "XL" (extra load" I was told!) tire on my GMC Yukon 3 years ago. Ride suffered immensly! (got hard!) Handling, wear was OK. As I feel the SRX with Mag Ride Shocks already rides very firm, I would never go it! I'm talking a 20-25% ride harshness change!):crybaby:

dechief4
08-31-06, 10:11 AM
Hello all -
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires (from Discount Tires) for my '04 V8 AWD. They are much nicer than the stock Michelins - with a more agressive tread and a much nicer/quiter ride. I am actually looking forward to it snowing so I can see for sure how well they perform - I believe they will do quite well, from the looks of things. I also looked (via the 'net) at the GY Response Edge tires, but was told by my local GY dealer our sizes will NOT be available until late this year (December, even January). Smaller sizes are already out, but not the larger sizes we use. This is inspite of the fact that Discount Tires show them available (Discount Tire also told me the same as GY when I called). I decided to get the staggered fitment rather than the same size all the way 'round. I know there are 'arguments' for both opinions, but I chose to believe the Cadillac engineers had valid/validated reasons for utilizing two different sizes, and I don't have the degrees to argue with their logic. Regardless, I am happy with my purchase and look forward to many miles of good traction.
Dechief

sgilbert
08-31-06, 11:06 AM
dechief4,

That's NOT good news! I had my heart set on the GY's from what I've read and from the Discount Tire site. Haven't been to the store yet, as I've been swamped, but was going to go right after Labor Day.

I certainly cannot wait until December, so I just might have to go Pirelli. :(

Quadrasteer
08-31-06, 03:41 PM
Smokin, what tire was that? I think these only come in XL.

jgn
08-31-06, 05:37 PM
That is a drag. i too was looking at the GY's. I've seen some bad reviews on the Pirelli's for wear, noise and hard to keep balanced, but may have to reconsider now.

dechief4
09-01-06, 09:05 AM
That is a drag. i too was looking at the GY's. I've seen some bad reviews on the Pirelli's for wear, noise and hard to keep balanced, but may have to reconsider now.

The Pirelli's definitely have softer rubber, so I expect faster wear than some - but the trade off is a quieter ride and better traction. To this point, I can confirm the quieter ride and better wet/dry handling (still waiting for the snow :rolleyes: ). So far, so good, IMHO.
I don't understand the balancing issue, as mine seem to be working fine and it follows that if you get them balanced correctly initially (that would be an 'installer issue') they shouldn't unbalance themselves. I don't know how that would be possible, external factors (mud on the rims, a chunck ripped out by road debris, etc.) aside.
Dechief

Smokin' SRX
09-01-06, 11:22 AM
Smokin, what tire was that? I think these only come in XL.

Hi!
They were Pirelli Scorpions!! Yes, I could only get my size in "XL" ! My mistake!!

Smokin' SRX
09-01-06, 11:33 AM
Hello all -
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires (from Discount Tires) for my '04 V8 AWD. They are much nicer than the stock Michelins - with a more agressive tread and a much nicer/quiter ride. I am actually looking forward to it snowing so I can see for sure how well they perform - I believe they will do quite well, from the looks of things. I also looked (via the 'net) at the GY Response Edge tires, but was told by my local GY dealer our sizes will NOT be available until late this year (December, even January). Smaller sizes are already out, but not the larger sizes we use. This is inspite of the fact that Discount Tires show them available (Discount Tire also told me the same as GY when I called). I decided to get the staggered fitment rather than the same size all the way 'round. I know there are 'arguments' for both opinions, but I chose to believe the Cadillac engineers had valid/validated reasons for utilizing two different sizes, and I don't have the degrees to argue with their logic. Regardless, I am happy with my purchase and look forward to many miles of good traction.
Dechief

Hi!,
This is good news as I am due for front tires soon! The rear are "OK" w/ 20k miles (never rotated, of course!!) As I find the ride too noisey and stiff for a luxury SUV, (Mag-Ride!) I would gladly change all 4 !
Can I ask, if it was a "XL" rated tire?? (would say it right on on sidewall!) Had a BAD experience with Scorpions, for another SUV I own (GMC YUKON). Ride quality deteriorated very noticeably!!! (got harsh!) Do you have these?? Maybe they changed sidewall specs???
Can you list exact model of tire? (Scorpion "AS", etc) I'm delighted you're happy and look foward to the better/quieter ride myself, if I gotta put out the $$$ anyway!:thumbsup:

dechief4
09-01-06, 12:06 PM
Hi!,
This is good news as I am due for front tires soon! The rear are "OK" w/ 20k miles (never rotated, of course!!) As I find the ride too noisey and stiff for a luxury SUV, (Mag-Ride!) I would gladly change all 4 !
Can I ask, if it was a "XL" rated tire?? (would say it right on on sidewall!) Had a BAD experience with Scorpions, for another SUV I own (GMC YUKON). Ride quality deteriorated very noticeably!!! (got harsh!) Do you have these?? Maybe they changed sidewall specs???
Can you list exact model of tire? (Scorpion "AS", etc) I'm delighted you're happy and look foward to the better/quieter ride myself, if I gotta put out the $$$ anyway!:thumbsup:

Smokin' -
Here are the specs (both sets are Scorpion Zeros): Fronts: 235/60R-18 103V BLK Rears: 255/55R-18 109V XL BLK. As I say, so far, so good. I've had them now for about two weeks, so obviously not a huge amount of miles on them yet. I am very satisfied to this point.
Dechief

Quadrasteer
09-01-06, 01:44 PM
I'm still going with the Nokians WR SUVs, they're a totally different tire as far as the XL goes. As far as the GY Response discussion, I saw the opposite on TireRack, the larger size is available and the smaller size is not.

Smokin' SRX
09-04-06, 11:53 AM
Smokin' -
Here are the specs (both sets are Scorpion Zeros): Fronts: 235/60R-18 103V BLK Rears: 255/55R-18 109V XL BLK. As I say, so far, so good. I've had them now for about two weeks, so obviously not a huge amount of miles on them yet. I am very satisfied to this point.
Dechief

Thanks Dechief4!!!
If you haven't noticed a "very obvious" harshness in the rear XL tires, then OK! It was probably the type and size Scorpion that I put on my Yukon. Stock OEM was P265x75x16, and I upped it to 285x70x16XL......a little fatter and taller than OEM. Notice the "P" disappeared from the description? I now know that it means "passenger" tire and that should have been MY clue that I was going to a truck/hi-performance sidewall tire!! The OEM Michelin's are "P" rated. OH well!

I'm putting the Scorpions on my "short" list! Let us know of any changes!!THX!:thumbsup:

sgilbert
09-06-06, 01:09 PM
Update: Tire Rack, even though they do not have the GY's, says they will be in mid-October. Luckily, I live in the same town as Tire Rack, so, when in, they'll install. Price, out the door, is mid $700's.

robhersch
09-06-06, 07:30 PM
Update: Tire Rack, even though they do not have the GY's, says they will be in mid-October. Luckily, I live in the same town as Tire Rack, so, when in, they'll install. Price, out the door, is mid $700's.

Great news!! Even better than the GY $896 quoted last week and much better than the french rubber !! Keep us up-to-date on your experience!!

BANK
09-22-06, 09:32 PM
I bouoght Toyo Proxes S/T, 255/55/18 VRs on all fours. The only significant noise you hear on the freeway now is the wind from the mirrors, I think, and of course the whiney rear end. The vehicle car rides and handles better.

This is on a RWD N*.

Tire rack did not have the GY Responsedges and I needed tires at 24 k.

I like the Tread wear at 420. The other viable options were Yokie Advans S/Ts or Nitto 420S. I wanted something that was sportier than the OEMs.

The original fronts were worn like they were under-inflated and the rears evenly. I run 36psi to 38psi and drive briskly.

Kalibr
09-23-06, 08:34 AM
I've had much better experience with Michelins then Goodyears. My last car, a Lincoln Aviator came with Michelins. When I traded it in with 42k miles the tires still had the sufficient tread left. They were quiet and had great traction on wet roads. I rarely get 30k out of Goodyears. I just wish the Michelins weren’t so expensive.

BANK
09-23-06, 01:48 PM
Mileage is not a primary concern in my selection of a tire. I buy tires for a numbers of reasons, grip, wet and dry. I also like quiet. With that being said, I just purchased a set of Goodyear Tripletreads for the wife's van, the tread wear number is huge, but they have excellent grip wet and dry are whisper quiet at only $100.00per tire.

Goodyear has had a chunk of the OEM domestic market for years and have captured Asian and Euro OEM markets in the last few years. Recently GY has developed some of the top rated tires on the planet.

However, there are an amazing number of excellent tires on the market now. To limit ones choice to a single brand is merely a triumph for that particular brands marketing department.

Smokin' SRX
09-24-06, 12:17 PM
I bouoght Toyo Proxes S/T, 255/55/18 VRs on all fours. The only significant noise you hear on the freeway now is the wind from the mirrors, I think, and of course the whiney rear end. The vehicle car rides and handles better.

This is on a RWD N*.

Tire rack did not have the GY Responsedges and I needed tires at 24 k.

I like the Tread wear at 420. The other viable options were Yokie Advans S/Ts or Nitto 420S. I wanted something that was sportier than the OEMs.

The original fronts were worn like they were under-inflated and the rears evenly. I run 36psi to 38psi and drive briskly.

Hi! Glad the 255/55-18 on all 4 corners are working out! I considered it also but am afraid of an "unknown" factor! How long/miles have you had them?? Like the adjacent post, my 20K miles fronts are wearing badly on edges! Not being able to do a front/rear same side of car rotate has not helped! Yes I corner hard and it's a 4500 lb. truck....but damn, 20K miles to life?! The rears are fine!
The Aviator truck, on the other post, has same tires all around and probably had rotation done, as normal maintenance!

Do you find the ride stiffer with the Toyo's ??
Thx for the response! I don't want to be here again at 40K miles, having made a $800 mistake!!!!!!!!!!!

BANK
09-26-06, 02:05 AM
Not at 1000 miles. I had some concern as they are rated at heavier load and are reinforced tires. This likely adds to their ability to work well on the vehicle. They take all bumps and pot holes better than the originals, they grip and are quiter and drive down the road considerable better that the originals ever did.
The only option is what other tires are available that might be good or better choices.

At my stag in life if I make only a $800.00 mistake I figure I got lucky.

The problem that we may face is the front tire wear. I think the thinner tires masked camber changes when turning hence the unusual and excessive wear that we may be seeing. The wider front tires may exacerbate this, but 255 from a 235 isn't that much wider, and the rotation option I now have can spread that wear over all fours.

I think I will check out the alignment and may make some changes. I was thinking of going with springs.

da_thrilla
09-26-06, 03:32 AM
Yeah, now i want to put 255's all around and dealership says not possible, becasue it voids warranty...can anyone confirm this? This if fudgin rediculious...

BANK
09-26-06, 10:49 PM
So I guess the 20 incher the dealer wanted to sell me when I bought the SRX would have voided the warrentee? As I am certain the tires were all ths same size one of our dealer is full of it. Well both of our dealers are, but that's not the point.

Smokin' SRX
09-27-06, 08:59 AM
Not at 1000 miles. I had some concern as they are rated at heavier load and are reinforced tires. This likely adds to their ability to work well on the vehicle. They take all bumps and pot holes better than the originals, they grip and are quiter and drive down the road considerable better that the originals ever did.
The only option is what other tires are available that might be good or better choices.

At my stag in life if I make only a $800.00 mistake I figure I got lucky.

The problem that we may face is the front tire wear. I think the thinner tires masked camber changes when turning hence the unusual and excessive wear that we may be seeing. The wider front tires may exacerbate this, but 255 from a 235 isn't that much wider, and the rotation option I now have can spread that wear over all fours.
I think I will check out the alignment and may make some changes. I was thinking of going with springs.

I think you are the first one to nail it! The REAL reason Caddy probably didn't put 4 same size rubbers on this truck is the front end geometry (camber) issue needed some "masking"!! Anyone with a 4WD truck has probably felt "crabbing" if they left the rig in 4WD and then got on a hard, paved road! The steering wheel would pull left to right slightly, (like a crab walking!) when you turned the wheel! This is due to the 4WD unit's inability to "slide" the front wheels a little , on the hard, gripping, pavement. (difference in the turn radius of right and left front wheels, now that they are also "driving" wheels causes this) I bet this puts a slight disparity on the AWD Caddy's front end and they compensated for it by reducing the front tire size a bit!

Anything to avoid a warranty claim of a front differential burning out!

Unfortunately, we pay the price in rapid front tire wear!
This theory could be proved (dis-proved) if all the RWD only SRX's seldom had early front tire wear. (< 20 K miles, allowing for factors like inability to rotate, brisk driving and tire pressures taken into consideration!) Bet there's a tend!!
I never had to replace front tires at 20K miles before! Especially Michelin's! :crybaby:

beekay
09-29-06, 05:04 PM
I have about 30k miles on 2 sets of tires, winter and Summer. Winters are gone, they only last 2 years for me so I cant see the wear, i remember it being fairly even, I did rotate them 1 time per winter.

Summer's are all even still with about 18k miles and 1 rotation (all 255's)

2004 SRX V8 AWD 42kmiles

robhersch
09-30-06, 10:58 AM
Yeah, now i want to put 255's all around and dealership says not possible, becasue it voids warranty...can anyone confirm this? This if fudgin rediculious...

Interesting, whose warranty voided? GM, dealers, aftermarket, etc??.
Some place in this forum, someone reported that they found their 235s on the rear and 255s on the front (who? / how? did this happen?); another reported that his dealer had a "special" including tire rotation.

I regularly get flyers from my dealer with a "coupon special" for "rotating" & rebalancing my N*V8 RWD SRX tires for $49.95; so it would appear that the warranty issue could be "hearsay or propaganda".

Probably either: 1) a large number of roll-overs like Ford Explorer that creates big $$$$ liabilities for GM or, 2) show real-world-statistics demonstrating very-excessive-wear of SRX components with 255s vs 235s or ???? which then void warranties only on the front-end differential/ steering gear.

GM should also issue a "Caution-Warranty Void" notice describing issues that could void the warranty. I have yet to ID any such notices or statements in my warranty or GM extended warranty.

BarryH_GEG
09-30-06, 09:37 PM
Read my post in the AWD V8 tires thread. I'm running 255/45x20s which were put on by my dealer. No problems with wear, balancing, ride, or handling. I also went through last winter with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows (in the staggered size). They are XL rated and I had no problem with ride or handling. A warning though, DO NOT mix XL and non-XL rated tires. I had to wait a month for my tire guy to get both sizes in XL and he was adamant that they not be mixed.

Smokin' SRX
10-01-06, 02:39 PM
Read my post in the AWD V8 tires thread. I'm running 255/45x20s which were put on by my dealer. No problems with wear, balancing, ride, or handling. I also went through last winter with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows (in the staggered size). They are XL rated and I had no problem with ride or handling. A warning though, DO NOT mix XL and non-XL rated tires. I had to wait a month for my tire guy to get both sizes in XL and he was adamant that they not be mixed.

BarryH- I read your post and agree that all 4 same tires is OK!! Note : '07 Caddy OE option: 20" same, all around!! So what are they gonna say to you????
I'm going with 255/55-18" all around on my AWD N* soon! Tiresavings.com lists several I like with Dunlaps SP Sport 500 Asymmetrical @ $127 and Cooper Zeon XST @ $109!! Little better than French rubber @ $210 each!! Some of the choices were only "H" rated however. That's a little slower driving than OEM "V" rating : 130MPH VS. 150MPH:eek: ....... I'll slow down!

Yes, beware "XL" denotes a "extra heavy load tire carcuss" for more load carrying (with a possible stiffer ride!) One poster got them in Pirellis I recall and said they were OK! I had a harsh ride when using the "XL" on my GMC YUKON, 3 years ago! But yes don't mix tires like that.
Thx for your input!

sgilbert
10-05-06, 01:22 PM
Still waiting on my new Goodyears, and now (10/5) I see that they're on strike! Great---just great! :(

da_thrilla
10-06-06, 03:33 PM
ok guys! need your advice, im buying new tires, the new michelins were crap, at 45 thous kilometers my fronts are totally gone, backs, half way, now, the webstie im buying from (switzerland is real expensive) lists these two: for the back (255/55; dealer says voids warranty if same all round) Goodyear 255/55R18 109H XL Wrangler HP (http://e-pneu.ch/index2.php?lang=fr&menu=details&alternat=&id=6509&so=1&&dim1=255&dim2=55&zoll=18&speedindex=H&snr=10) and the fronts: Goodyear 235/60R18 103H Wrangler HP All Weather, (http://e-pneu.ch/index2.php?lang=fr&menu=details&alternat=&id=6480&so=1&&dim1=235&dim2=60&zoll=18&speedindex=H&snr=0)
now the numbers vary on each tire (like 103h 109h) what are these? does it matter that they are different? i need some tires 101, and what to avoid, let me know plz, thanks...

da_thrilla
10-09-06, 09:07 AM
any one willing to help?

Smokin' SRX
10-10-06, 08:38 AM
any one willing to help?

Hi to Switzerland!
Here's the tire story, as I am also in the process:

Many posters in the past and now Caddy themselves (OEM for '07 ) now has a 20" tire available (same size!) on all 4 compass points. No reported problems!

Many of our esteemed posters have already gone to the 255/55 size front AND rear.....no reported problems! Many many thx to them!!

Some Caddy dealers are saying ......"it will void the waranty" if you go all same size. When asked why it is offered by other Dealers, both now (as OEM) and in past years, as an option, they give a dumb stare! ( my Dealer has also offered to rotate the front and rear tires!) Duh!!

So I just ordered a set of Dunlap SP 5000 in 255/55-18 "H" series (I have a N*, AWD) on all 4 corners, let the Devil beware! They were $127 each from Tire Rack.com (plus shipping) I'll have a local shop who knows about the Tire Pressure Monitoring (must keep same valve on same wheel! ) install them !

I went with "H" speed rating (130MPH vs. the OE "V" rated 150MPH) for a softer ride!! Handling will probably deteriorate 1% ! I don't care as it can spare it!

Now as other posters have said.....don't mix "XL" with standard load ratings! It's a function of the weight load the tire can carry and changes the handling/ride characteristics! Basically get the same tire ALL the way around. Period! (an " XL" may/probably will give a stiffer ride!) I would not go below an "H" rating either! (like "S" or "T" ) Even if you don't speed more than 90MPH, handling can be affected by softer sidewalls/softer tire carcuss. These are heavy trucks!

Hope this helps,.............. farewell to Michelin,............. and look forward to rotating my tires, like normal people!!! :D

Smokin' SRX
10-10-06, 08:45 AM
ok guys! need your advice, im buying new tires, the new michelins were crap, at 45 thous kilometers my fronts are totally gone, backs, half way, now, the webstie im buying from (switzerland is real expensive) lists these two: for the back (255/55; dealer says voids warranty if same all round) Goodyear 255/55R18 109H XL Wrangler HP (http://e-pneu.ch/index2.php?lang=fr&menu=details&alternat=&id=6509&so=1&&dim1=255&dim2=55&zoll=18&speedindex=H&snr=10) and the fronts: Goodyear 235/60R18 103H Wrangler HP All Weather, (http://e-pneu.ch/index2.php?lang=fr&menu=details&alternat=&id=6480&so=1&&dim1=235&dim2=60&zoll=18&speedindex=H&snr=0)
now the numbers vary on each tire (like 103h 109h) what are these? does it matter that they are different? i need some tires 101, and what to avoid, let me know plz, thanks...

PS..........Also..the 109H, 103, denotes the weight class of the tire! "H" is speed as I already said, and 103,109 is weight load the tire can carry! Stay with 102 or higher for best capabilities. A 90H (if made?) may blow out with a full load and passengers!:suspense:

da_thrilla
10-10-06, 03:20 PM
hey, thanks for your response, i got it all nailed down....one more quick question, could i mix with a 103 tire (front) and 109 (back)? and are dunlops (the one ur getting) ne good in snow?

thanks again for ur help!

Smokin' SRX
10-10-06, 04:51 PM
hey, thanks for your response, i got it all nailed down....one more quick question, could i mix with a 103 tire (front) and 109 (back)? and are dunlops (the one ur getting) ne good in snow?

thanks again for ur help!

OK.
A 102 tire can carry about 100lbs less weight than a 104. A 109 can carry about 300 additional pounds more than a 104. In the rear where you carry perhaps more cargo, it should be ok. But an empty truck may ride stiff. I think it would be ok, but recommend a closer number match. If it says "XL" (109) in the tires specs, don't do it. "XL" is definitely a heavier tire carcuss and will ride/ handle differently at the extremes.

My Dunlaps are rated at 105 H, in 255/55-18". But I'm putting same tire at all 4 points. And it's an "H" speed rating (little softer ride?) as oppseed to OEM "V" speed. And hopefully more tread life!

Having said this....another poster recently reported a 109 XL tire on the rear only!!! I think he has 103 on the front (non-XL rated!) Says he loves them! I think it's pushing things a bit too much! He's had them awhile......

The Dunlaps are rated all-weather (just like most for this truck) and reports are they're good for "moderate" snow (having seen them I would guess 6-12 inches maximum.) Gotta get a snow tire for more than that on a regular basis. I'm assuming AWD also or 6-8 inches max with Dunlaps and RWD!

Will have them on the truck in 10 days from now! They are in transit! Will post results on day 2. Good luck!

click or Copy/paste the link below for a good table of specs on all tires sizes/ratings! Very interesting!

Tire Tech - Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35)

dechief4
10-16-06, 10:28 AM
Having said this....another poster recently reported a 109 XL tire on the rear only!!! I think he has 103 on the front (non-XL rated!) Says he loves them! I think it's pushing things a bit too much! He's had them awhile......

Smokin' -

That was me, but it would be hard to disagree more, but in a nice way...

As far as the XL vs. non-XL rated tires, I can only give you empirical data - they work fine in my application. I personally attribute the 'requirement' to have either/or as just 'sales talk' and nothing more. OK, so the XL tires are stiffer - big deal. Generally, stiffer equals better handling/better load carrying ability and a little harsher ride. Again, empirically, the new Pirellis ride MUCH nicer that the OEM Michelins. I call this one a win for me.

As far as load rating go, the SRX isn't a dump truck. Curb weight for the 04 AWD V8 is 4442 lbs. with weight distribution being about 50/50 (or, 2221 lbs/axle, or 1110.5 lbs/wheel - give or take). Tire load ratings are for each tire, not for the axle, so a tire rated at 103 can safely carry 1929 lbs/tire and a 109, 2271 lbs/tire. Since the unloaded SRX is putting about 1110.5 lbs/wheel these are definitely safe loads for the tires. In fact, since you generally load the SRX 'in the back' it makes a little more sense to have higher rated tires there, all other things being equal.

Again, empirically, the new Pirellis I have have so far performed extremely well. No handling issues whatsoever, with the ride and road noise being significantly improved.

Smokin' SRX
10-16-06, 05:19 PM
Smokin' -

That was me, but it would be hard to disagree more, but in a nice way...

As far as the XL vs. non-XL rated tires, I can only give you empirical data - they work fine in my application. I personally attribute the 'requirement' to have either/or as just 'sales talk' and nothing more. OK, so the XL tires are stiffer - big deal. Generally, stiffer equals better handling/better load carrying ability and a little harsher ride. Again, empirically, the new Pirellis ride MUCH nicer that the OEM Michelins. I call this one a win for me.

As far as load rating go, the SRX isn't a dump truck. Curb weight for the 04 AWD V8 is 4442 lbs. with weight distribution being about 50/50 (or, 2221 lbs/axle, or 1110.5 lbs/wheel - give or take). Tire load ratings are for each tire, not for the axle, so a tire rated at 103 can safely carry 1929 lbs/tire and a 109, 2271 lbs/tire. Since the unloaded SRX is putting about 1110.5 lbs/wheel these are definitely safe loads for the tires. In fact, since you generally load the SRX 'in the back' it makes a little more sense to have higher rated tires there, all other things being equal.

Again, empirically, the new Pirellis I have have so far performed extremely well. No handling issues whatsoever, with the ride and road noise being significantly improved.

We pretty much agree! I know you liked the ride! Other brand "XL" may be different results. just trying to give the whole story! Your analysis was right on!!

But for the record.........most manufacturers don't recommend mixing XL with standard load tires. How critical?? You did it, so you already have been there!! Thx for the exc data and first hand impressions.!
Full report on my new Dunlaps coming!! (255/55-18 H , 105 speed: 130 MPH ) :D

dechief4
10-26-06, 09:43 AM
I've been waiting for the first significant snow to see how my new Pirellis work (please see my earlier posts above). Well, I got my wish this morning. Denver is having a 'blizzard' of sorts. Heavy wet snow, coming down at about 2-3 inches per hour. Roads are rather deeply snow covered and messy. I am extremely happy to say the new tires are a VAST improvement on the OEMs. I could tell the difference immediately. There is much better grip at take off and a significant improvement in stopping ability. It's kinda funny to say, but you can see the difference in the fresh snow, too - a way more aggressive tread design that really does translate into better handling. :thumbsup:

With this expereince, at this point, I would not hesitate to recommend the Pirellis as a viable alternative.

stlgasman
12-04-06, 04:22 PM
If you want to put OEM 18" tire and wheels on a car that came with 17's, I noticed they are a wider profile 60 vs 65 and 55 vs 60. Will that be enough to offset the wheel size or does the speedometer need to be recalibrated?

sgilbert
12-05-06, 08:33 PM
WELL---Back to my original post many moons ago.

Have had the Goodyears on order for over 2 months now, and the situation is getting critical (GY's been on strike). Only 2 other possibilities, in my mind (sticking w/ original sizes): Pirelli Scorion Zeros or Michelin OEM's.

Both Tire Rack & Discount Tire talked me out of the Pirellis as they won't last 18k miles, will be loud, and will ride like a truck.

Lots of interesting theories and conversions on the last 5 pages, but none suited me.

As much as I hate to do it, I ordered a new set of Michelins today---will be in Friday. Far too much $, poor wear (although I got 36k miles), and lousy in snow, but, "being between a rock & a hard place" I'll at least have a new set of shoes.

da_thrilla
12-06-06, 03:25 AM
WELL---Back to my original post many moons ago.

Have had the Goodyears on order for over 2 months now, and the situation is getting critical (GY's been on strike). Only 2 other possibilities, in my mind (sticking w/ original sizes): Pirelli Scorion Zeros or Michelin OEM's.

Both Tire Rack & Discount Tire talked me out of the Pirellis as they won't last 18k miles, will be loud, and will ride like a truck.

Lots of interesting theories and conversions on the last 5 pages, but none suited me.

As much as I hate to do it, I ordered a new set of Michelins today---will be in Friday. Far too much $, poor wear (although I got 36k miles), and lousy in snow, but, "being between a rock & a hard place" I'll at least have a new set of shoes.

Ok, too late to give advice, but i bought the Pirellis, and i have been satisfied with them ever since (OEM size). Now, I have been on a few forums and have noticed that all tire dealers always recommend michelins while other tires have better ratings. Could it be that michelin is offering tire dealers better incentives and support so they can push their products? I personally think this is how it really is. I would not have opted for the Michelins again, they were just too terrible. The treads show how bad it is from the start. My neighbour has a brand new X3 and these tires are OEM on them too. Ive noticed tremendous wear already. Wouldve went with the pirellis...but oh well.

My 2 cents.

b4z
12-08-06, 04:35 PM
Okay, I am to the point of tire replacement also.
34,000 '04 V6 with 17" wheels and Goodyear RSA.
My wife sold her Honda and she is driving the the SRX now.
The car will step out on acceleration in the rain.
The RsAs have never been great in the rain and that is my
main concern, plus quietness.
RSAs are $148.00 at tire Rack.
Any other ideas?

b4z
01-26-07, 03:37 PM
Since nobody answered my question.
I ordered Continental Cross Contacts
for $472.72 w/ shipping from Tire rack.
Will install them in the next couple of days.
My understanding is that they will ride a little better
but I will lose a little cornering due to the softer sidewalls.

analogist
03-13-07, 07:15 AM
I have a 2005 V6 AWD which came equipped with the Michelin Pilot HXMX tires.
Harsh, noisy, and prone to pick up any sharp object like a magnet. I have had the tires patched about five times (three in one tire) and they did not hold air very well.

I decided to order the Goodyear Responsedge tires with the same specs as the Michelins. They arrived last week and they were installed and I had a 4-wheel computerized alignment just to be on the safe side.

So far, they are smooth as silk and really improve the ride quality of the SRX. Silent in comparison with the Michelins and after pricing locally, came in about 25% less than the Pilot HXMX. I hope I have done the right thing and I thinkI have.

analogist

da_thrilla
12-29-07, 07:27 PM
Would appreciate any help!

After 20 thousand kilometers, my back tires (pirelli scorpion zero 255-55-18) have run out to the threading towards the inside...

Anyone knows why they wear out towards the inside? Do all the SRXs wheels in the back wear out from the inside?

Thanks again!

da_thrilla
01-05-08, 09:29 AM
anyone?

laserguy
01-05-08, 10:16 AM
I used on my previous cars GOOD YEAR Triple Tred ... 2 times a full set of 4 tires...around 160K Km (100K Mi) on each set... not a single issue . . .NADA.

Great WET traction, Great Dry Traction and Great Light Snow and Ice Traction...plus a Great Tread life , really over 140k Km (100K Mi)

On SUV they named Good Year Fortera Triple Tred . . . great reviews (4.3 of 5)... but little bit expensive . . . at the end you get what you pay for...

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Goodyear&tiremodel=Fortera+TripleTred

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+TripleTred

da_thrilla
01-05-08, 05:13 PM
thanks for the tire recommendation, but i was more looking to see if anyone has tire wear from inside the wheel well (in the rear tires). If anyone does let me know, and if anyone thinks this is not normal do so also.

Thanks again.

z32drifter
01-05-08, 07:38 PM
thanks for the tire recommendation, but i was more looking to see if anyone has tire wear from inside the wheel well (in the rear tires). If anyone does let me know, and if anyone thinks this is not normal do so also.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you have excessive neg camber in the rear, if it's just the inner edge.

da_thrilla
01-05-08, 08:14 PM
thanks for the reply, however could u please describe to me what neg camber exactly is? I need to know what it relates to and what causes it to explain to the dealer.

thanks again.

conedoctor
01-05-08, 10:16 PM
I think you need to tell the dealer the tire is wearing so he can tell you why and how to fix it.

Negative camber can be a great thing but not when you drive it everyday, it cost me a fortune to get lots of negative camber :)

z32drifter
01-05-08, 10:25 PM
In simple terms you have an alignment issue. Neg camber is when the tires tilt in at the top, like / \ causing more wear on the inside edge of the tire. Alot of performance cars with IRS (independent rear suspension) wear the inside more quickly due to camber change when accelerating. I have not looked to see what adjustments can be made on the rear of my SRX, but I would expect toe and camber to be adjustable. Depending on the type of tire and amount of wear you may be able to swap the rear tires inside out to extend their life.
I would start by having the alignment checked and adjusted if needed.

da_thrilla
01-06-08, 09:18 AM
thanks a lot guys, the dealer changed my rear axle a few months ago (the big metal box between the two back tires) and the wearing just accelerated after that. my question is would changing the rear axle cause this? basically i wanna see if the dealer is the person to blame here...

z32drifter
01-06-08, 04:05 PM
^^^ I would talk to the dealer. I'm not sure how the diff comes out on the SRX, but if the suspension came apart they should have aligned it after replacement.

conedoctor
01-06-08, 07:57 PM
I would say no it would not effect it being IRS and all, but I really am not sure.

pitamaster
03-16-08, 08:00 AM
to dechief4...how are the Scorpions holding up now in March of 08...

robhersch
06-01-08, 03:06 AM
Its not a 8 layer carbon fiber weave or anything. Its a carbon fiber reinforcement for the tires sidewall improve responsiveness a give you better road feel.........

After discussing this with a local Cadillac dealership it doesn't pose any issues on a SRX to run the same size tire at all corners..........

As far as degradation of ride, handling, treadwear, thats mostly subjective. Handling is a guarenteed improvement because the tires sidewall is shorter increasing a vehicles responsiveness by shear design..............
In my experience Goodyear has been hands down the best company at fulfilling all three criteria in recent years. In my professional experience and opinion you can't go wrong with a Goodyear tire.

Re: Our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD OEM Michelins TW 300: 235/60-18(F)(9 3/4" tread width) & 255/55-18(R)(10 1/4" tread width); fronts showing significant wear on edges, good in centers; rears looked almost new on edges, reasonable wear in centers!!
Plan to rotate fronts to rears, etc.
Physically measured circumference of both at ~ 91 1/4 inches at 23 K miles;
measured front tread depth (10/32" new), now 1-5-7-7-6-1 & rear 3-4-4-4-4-3; so rotated F<>R in order to "test" 255/55 on front;
After ~ 1000 miles, find steering maybe a bit more responsive, but otherwise handling, etc indistinguishable from OEM configuration.
My Conclusion: go with 255/55-18 on all four & rotate 8-10 K mi for est 50 K life & maybe more with TW 440 Goodyears.

Bill Brummett
06-01-08, 09:05 PM
See my post under "Replacement Tires"

Was waiting on the Goodyear Response Edges and finally gave up. Went with Goodyear Eagle LS2's 255/55/18's on all four corners. these are 104 H rated and are non directional so they can be x rotated.

The car handles far better than with the crappy Michelin OEM's and tracks like a dream and they are quieter than the OEM's. Plus, they are a lot cheaper!!

P05SRX
06-17-08, 08:37 PM
I have an 05 SRX AWD and when I bought Certified Pre Owned from the Cadillac dealer it did not have the two different size tires. It is now mid June and I just noticed that they were all the same size.

What benefit do you have while driving when you have two different size tires on the car? Gas Milage maybe?

Thanks -

robhersch
06-19-08, 01:46 AM
I have an 05 SRX AWD and when I bought Certified Pre Owned from the Cadillac dealer it did not have the two different size tires. It is now mid June and I just noticed that they were all the same size.
What benefit do you have while driving when you have two different size tires on the car? Gas Milage maybe? Thanks -

What size on your 05 SRX AWD?
My guesses for different sizes:
0) Original "Performance-Utility-tweak" testing on European test tracks;
1) Be in style with auto trends; noticed several (upscale) brands now using different F & R sizes (some totally different wheels: size, width, offset, etc), at least SRX does use same F&R wheels; also noted that recent SRX option for 20" - 22" wheels vs 17" - 18" (looks, vanity, psychol, etc)
2) Some subtle handling tweaks, ie oversteer/ understeer;
a) Narrower front: slightly easier steering with narrower tread; softer ride with taller sidewall; more clearance for front suspension, better to accommodate front diff for AWD option; (some reports: dealers say same size all around impacts mfgr warranty - BS imo)
b) Wider rear: slightly more traction with wider tread; to handle bit more load in rear or for trailering;
3) Sell more tires due to not rotating F <> R
4) Gas mileage differences really questionable or measurable