: whiney getrag diffs not only on V's...and Magnum Hemi review

VELOSE
08-28-06, 04:04 PM
This weekend I had a buddy pick me up from dropping off a car rental. A car I need to write a review on too(Dodge Magnum AWD 5.7L Hemi). I dropped off the car and I sit shotgun in his stock 03' M3. We had to go to his office. On the way there he's hauling ass playing with a SLK350. The roads were clear. It was 9am on Saturday. Nothing really happened just a lot of lead and follow stuff at 100mph.

On the way back after lunch, we don't talk much. All of a sudden a familar sound appears. The volume on the radio was low too. I asked him, "do you hear that? He says, what?" I asked him to lift off the throttle and then apply again. Again I asked him if he heard it. He didn't know what I was talking about. So I tell him his Getrag rear diff howls just like my V does. Although our V's howl super loud compared to the M's. I mimic the sound for him so he can listen for it. He hears it and says, "oh that!" I started laughing. I told him I don't feel so bad about my V now. He said, "I'm happy you feel better. I can't wait to drop you off at home." We had a good laugh after that.:thumbsup:

About the rental. I dropped the V off at Speed Inn for the GC kit install and was planning to pick up the V on Saturday. I opted to rent a car on Friday so I can pick up the V on Saturday. Because of some missing parts in the GC kit, the car wasn't ready on Saturday. That really screwed my plans.

The only car available was this Dodge Magnum AWD 5.7 Hemi. I was excited. Don't know why but I was. Right from the turn of the ignition I was impressed.

The motor is smooth. It doesn't have a wobble in it like the LS6. It's a high revving motor. Every stab of the gas pedal and the car eagerly responded. It had a nice sound to it too. The RPM guage continously hit 7k. Man I loved pegging the pedal to the floor. For the 340hp, it was pushing around a heavy AWD Magnum with real ease. Everytime the pedal would go down, the nose rose up nice and high. So I was very impressed by the Hemi.

The tranny is well matched to the motor for being automatic. It has that manumatic/tiptronic/select a gear type tranny. It's reaction time was quick. In "D" with the slightest press of the gas pedal and the tranny kicked in gear. There was very little lag time. I can't say it's as fast as a F1 car or the DSG transmission in the new VW's but it did very well. When I switched over to a selectable gear, it had a good reaction time too. The downshifts and upshifts weren't lightning fast but better than expected.

The interior, fit, and finish I'll leave up to you guys to evaluate. All of us have a certain standard for that. I found it acceptable for, and forgive me for describing it like this, an American car.

Overall, the car reminded me of my childhood years riding shotgun in the relatives big Plymouth Fury III, Plymouth Road Runner, and many of those 60's-70's big motor lofty, plush, cruisers. I had a good time in it. I just wouldn't own it. Car was way too long that I would probably be the only one driving it. The styling outside and in is acceptable but not thrilling. If the motor and tranny were in a smaller 4 door chassis, I'd be all over it for the wife. It didn't have rearend whine, clunky tranny, or handling like the V. Therefore it's not for me. :)

rand49er
08-28-06, 05:02 PM
Okay, back to the M3's whine, stupid ques: Does it have the same dif as the V? I know they're both Getrag, but how similar are they?

VELOSE
08-29-06, 10:39 AM
I don't know how similar they are. All I know is that they do have Getrags.

c5racr1
09-02-06, 09:39 PM
not the same diff as the v but I had a 02 m3 Smg and it wined from jump. didn't keep it long enough to get it fixed.

VELOSE
09-03-06, 02:06 AM
Because of this, I don't feel bad anymore about my V's diff whine. Thanks for sharing.

V Amazed
09-03-06, 01:16 PM
What most V guys don't understand is that they are more finiky (sp?) than the BMW guys. Most of the time these Bimmer guys are so stuck up for having a german car that they will never admit the shortcomings of those cars. I've personally been in and around several different BMWs and have never liked any of them in general. I find their interiors cold and unwelcoming, their performance highly over rated, and quite frankly, I just don't understand why everyone thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, especially for the outrageous premium paid for them. Just my thoughts.

Ben

2004CTS
09-03-06, 09:13 PM
What most V guys don't understand is that they are more finiky (sp?) than the BMW guys. Most of the time these Bimmer guys are so stuck up for having a german car that they will never admit the shortcomings of those cars. I've personally been in and around several different BMWs and have never liked any of them in general. I find their interiors cold and unwelcoming, their performance highly over rated, and quite frankly, I just don't understand why everyone thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, especially for the outrageous premium paid for them. Just my thoughts.

Ben
Thank you, because I tend to agree with your points about (1) BMW owners not admitting to their vehicle's shortcomings and (2) feeling that BMW cars are just not as exceptional as some would try to make you believe.

crypto_coyle79
09-03-06, 10:23 PM
Thank you, because I tend to agree with your points about (1) BMW owners not admitting to their vehicle's shortcomings and (2) feeling that BMW cars are just not as exceptional as some would try to make you believe.

I don't know what BMW's your talking about but they are very nice cars that have drivers in mind when being designed. I'm not huge on there new design theme but with the right color and wheels even they look very sharp, besides who cares what a base 525 looks like anyway( not too many ugly 550's out there). Who here didn't when they first heard about the V went "wow an American M5 I can afford:thumbsup: " As for cocky owners, it is no different then us when we come across the many V6 CTS's. Your a little cocky because you know you have the real deal and there just trying to compete.

CVP33
09-04-06, 12:14 AM
Take advantage of the employee pricing and 0% interest you'll be out the door at $39K for the 300 and $38K for the Charger ($633 per month). Then spend another $1,500 for KW V2 adjustable coilovers and Hotchkis swaybars like I did and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Add an aftermarket 7yr/100K warranty for another $1,500 and you're looking at one hell of a deal for $41K or $42K. I agree the Magnum and R/T's are little slow and less enthusiast oriented. Kind of like a VXTi or CTS Sport.

VELOSE
09-04-06, 11:24 PM
The thought had crossed my mind about a Charger SRT8 with the mods mentioned but after getting the GC kit installed a week ago, I'm sticking to the V. I can't wait to get to the track soon. Next video should be more entertaining at Thunderhill.

In regards to bimmer owners, I only know a few of them. They are upfront with me to a certain point. Also, it doesn't help that they aren't as German specific to modding as I am. I like doing mods but without negative effects. They aren't so picky about stuff like that. In fact, they're more form over function and that's what differentiates me with them. I like driving fast. They like looking fast standing still. ;)