: Future for SRX?

rajinasian
08-28-06, 02:37 AM
I recently read on another site that there may / may not be an SRX in Cadillac's future. Although it has won some praise and awards, it has not been a great seller. Besides the new int / ext changes for 2007, I haven't heard much of the SRX's future. Cadillac looks like it wants to take the CTS to the next level with it's redesign, including potential variants like a coupe. I know the new GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave / Saturn ? will have that new Lambda? platform. It is suppose to have more room, easier ingress to the 3rd row, better fuel economy, and other improvements that will attract buyers in this SUV-unfriendly environment. Do you think the SRX could benefit from a similar upgrade / platform? Another site mentioned that Cadillac might just go with a BRX and Escalade in their SUV line-up.

CTS4Chiefy
08-28-06, 03:10 AM
Don't worry, there will be a next-gen SRX. Though the SRX-V has been axed, at least for quite a while.

b4z
08-28-06, 08:47 AM
I almost wonder if Cadillac should have made the SRX more car/wagonlike and given it lower ground clearance 'cause SRXs are hard to get in and out of.

KMO
08-28-06, 10:16 AM
I would be ok with an Acadia Denali as a substitute (if required).

robhersch
08-28-06, 12:54 PM
I recently read on another site that there may / may not be an SRX in Cadillac's future. Although it has won some praise and awards, it has not been a great seller. Besides the new int / ext changes for 2007, I haven't heard much of the SRX's future. Cadillac looks like it wants to take the CTS to the next level with it's redesign, including potential variants like a coupe. I know the new GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave / Saturn ? will have that new Lambda? platform. It is suppose to have more room, easier ingress to the 3rd row, better fuel economy, and other improvements that will attract buyers in this SUV-unfriendly environment. Do you think the SRX could benefit from a similar upgrade / platform? Another site mentioned that Cadillac might just go with a BRX and Escalade in their SUV line-up.

I agree that the SRX has not been the best seller (i.e., marketing fell far short in "pushing the cheap" for this high-end vehicle instead of clarifying the "virtues of SRX N*V8" vs BMW X5, MB-ML, Lex V8s).
Also the GM/SRX/Cad technical guys seem to have fallen well short of an "attaboy" in their: 1) failing to properly correct the few ills typically inherent in an all-new platform; 2) failing to maintain the SRX original "performance utility" image; and 3) not focusing on issues that affect most-of-those-who-bought-performance instead of focusing on a "quick-fix compromise" affecting all SRXs for (what I believe) AWD(??) related issues.
I find my 2005 N*V8 RWD almost exactly what I bargained for after head-to-head V6 vs V6 & V8 vs V8 analysis and testing ! (as long as I can keep the dealer from "reflashing").
There are still some of us who find the Escalade, etc just too big!
I also agree that many buyers seem OK with the low-cost alternatives that use 4 & 6 cyls with front wheel drive like many lower cost imports which save their manufacturers ~ $2 to $3,000 per vehicle in retiree worker benefits alone. (Many then add $2 to $8,000 for speciality wheels, custom grilles, etc)
The Chev Equinox (stretched??) appears to the basis for the new GM line which I guess will also replace the RWD Trailblazer & Rainier trucks.

c5 rv
08-28-06, 06:38 PM
I don't undertand the interest in 6 or 7 passenger seating for this type of vehicle, especially from Cadillac. At max, I want to carry 3-4 passengers plus have room for cargo. If I needed to haul a bunch of kids, I'd buy a vehicle like a minivan that's more appropriate for that. Plus it would be at price point that I wouldn't care so much about the wear and tear kids inflict on the car.

carsandguitars
08-28-06, 09:35 PM
I don't have an issue with the SRX being a 7 passenger. Because those rear seats fold away, I am more interested in the cargo space so my wife can load up with groceries or take the dog to the vet, and not have to take my Escalade. I have both and they both serve a different purpose.

I recently purchased the SRX after an exhaustive search for my wife's next vehicle. We looked at almost everything and boiled it down to two cars. The Benz R class, and a loaded SRX. To cut to the chase, we leased the SRX and purchase an 03 Jag XJ-R for nearly the same money as the new R. Ultimately my wife felt like the Benz was too much like a mini-van. I think its a very cool ride, but I was not going through another three years of "I got what you liked". So I let her have the final, to the point where I even let her have Black.

I agree with one of the other posts about add-ons. I just purchased new Zinik 20's and am adding the mesh grille. I expect it to be quite blingy, but that's the way we like our cars. It looks more sporty and suv/car like in appearance and the ride height is perfect for her. I think the powertrain is plenty for the people who will be interested in this car. Would I like to see a V version? Sure. Would I pay for one, proabably not. The AMC version of the R is around 100K and impossible to get. But it does make for as one person described, a Uber Soccer Mom mobile.

The SRX could stand to have some exterior modification to make it just a bit more sporty and not to long and tall. Once you establish that look, then you can get people to go to the next level with performance. The Escalade benefitted from a huge HipHop following, largely embellished by all of the wheel, grill modifications that make that car look outstanding. Look at the new 07 and you can see that they took that idea and ran with it, even if for my tastes, I prefer the 06 for ride comfortability.

The SRX is a great car, at a great price, is AWD and has the biggest sunroof on a car that size. The new interior modifications will help, but the outside will need an update so that people will distinguish it from it's older brother.

Here's my idea for a V or some other similar designation like they do on the CTS. Upgraded interior, 20 in chrome wheels, upgraded brakes (drilled,slotted, red calipers (like the Z06) modest performance boost, mesh grill, slightly lower stance, modest aerodynamics on the sides and rear, front quarter panel air vents (like the 07 Escalade) small rear tail wing, iPod connectivity, rear headrest DVD screen instead of the small middle screen (optional) two special colors specific to this model. I suspect this can be done for a fraction of what the V-Modifications would cost.

That's my 2 cents and probably why I'm not in the car business.

ckrichards
08-29-06, 09:36 AM
I don't undertand the interest in 6 or 7 passenger seating for this type of vehicle, especially from Cadillac. At max, I want to carry 3-4 passengers plus have room for cargo. If I needed to haul a bunch of kids, I'd buy a vehicle like a minivan that's more appropriate for that. Plus it would be at price point that I wouldn't care so much about the wear and tear kids inflict on the car.

In my case I'm not the primary kid hauler, but at times I'm called upon to transport all three kids. I didn't wan't to give up the performance and driving fun by getting a minivan. The SRX is the only vehilce I have found that provides performance and also allows me to carry all my children at the same time in two seperate rows. I guess in the best case the three boys could sit next to each other in one row, but that isn't the case at this time.

c5 rv
08-29-06, 10:22 AM
In my case I'm not the primary kid hauler, but at times I'm called upon to transport all three kids. I didn't wan't to give up the performance and driving fun by getting a minivan. The SRX is the only vehilce I have found that provides performance and also allows me to carry all my children at the same time in two seperate rows. I guess in the best case the three boys could sit next to each other in one row, but that isn't the case at this time.

Good points. In our case, we have an (almost) empty nest where adult children fly back in occasionally, stay for a while, and then leave again.

dbknight
08-29-06, 09:15 PM
I didn't think I would ever use the 3rd row, but with 5k miles have used it twice when groups of seven were going out to dinner. The two adults in the back were under 6', but were fine with riding back there.

TSS
08-30-06, 10:02 AM
I only have one child but use my third row a couple of times a month. It is a lot more confortable for everybody to put him (7 years old) in the third row and 2 adults in the second (versus three in the second).

Plus there are rare occasions that I need to transport 6 people for short distances. If I did that on a REGULAR basis, I would look for a Denali XL. I don't like mini-vans - despite all their practicality.

inline6
08-31-06, 03:30 PM
I am afraid that with the poor sales of our SRX and GMs lack of profit that the next gen SRX will be an Envoy or Trailblazer spin-off. THey could even do a V version using the SS as a basis. At least Cadillac might find a way to market it successfully.

TSS
08-31-06, 04:20 PM
Actually that drives home my point above re; 3 rows of seats. It would have to have 3 rows for me to consider it. If the SS had 3 rows, it would have been the ONLY other contender for my purchase (three rows NOT at the cost of the "extended version"; looks would have to stay the same look as non-extended, but w/ three rows).

I drove an SS. It was nice, but the SRX excelled in every area except flat out acceleration and perhaps high speed cornering (which does not matter to me). Also, it was fast, but not as fast as I expected. I digress...sorry.

c5 rv
08-31-06, 09:22 PM
I am afraid that with the poor sales of our SRX and GMs lack of profit that the next gen SRX will be an Envoy or Trailblazer spin-off. THey could even do a V version using the SS as a basis. At least Cadillac might find a way to market it successfully.

I think the Trailvoy is toast, especially if the new GM crossovers gain acceptance. I understand they are not working on a next generation vehicle for Trailvoy platform. I suspect GM may come out with a Cadillac version of the new crossover to replace the SRX and consider building a performance wagon verson of the new CTS.

Oh, and I agree with TSS's evaluation of the TBSS. I loved driving it, but for driving comfort it didn't hold a candle to the SRX. Then there's the stellar MPG from the TBSS with the LS2, 4.11 rear end, and aerodynamics of a brick.

stlgasman
09-01-06, 08:29 AM
I use the 3rd row all the time with my kids. The problem is that it is a little too small for a 3rd row. Anyway, in order to compete, I think the SRX needs to move to the Acadia chassis.

Smokin' SRX
09-01-06, 12:58 PM
I didn't think I would ever use the 3rd row, but with 5k miles have used it twice when groups of seven were going out to dinner. The two adults in the back were under 6', but were fine with riding back there.

Hi! I don't doubt your word, but I'm 5'8" and tried to sit back in the 3 row!! Forget it! NO leg room at all! Maybe it was a VERY short trip!? Or................ I'm just getting old!!! :confused:
But " try it before you buy it!!", if a 3 row is critical to you!!:thumbsup:

TSS
09-01-06, 05:14 PM
Sliding the second row back seat up an inch or two solves the 3rd row probelm (or at least makes it better) with very little effect on second row passengers.

dbknight
09-02-06, 12:47 PM

I would think they will keep the SRX on the CTS/STS platform to keep the plant that builds these at a profitable production level.