: Soft Windshield Glass?

john d
08-28-06, 01:04 AM
Anyone else notice the windshield getting little chips like it was being sand blasted? Not rock or stone chips just pinpoint etching. Not even deep enought to use a chip repair process. Shows up daytime when the sun is at the right angle and at night when headlights or street lights hit a certain way.
Have had this with other cars if sand blew off of dump trucks at hiway speed but have no idea how I'm getting them now other than normal street dirt.
No chips in the hood nose paint so I'm back to the soft glass suspicion.

TSS
08-28-06, 07:40 AM
Absolutely noticed.

I have several small nicks as well as the sandblasting effect. The Glass places I went to said the dmage was too small to do anything about. Plus, the effect seems to be ongoing. I noticed it first when car had less than 500 miles on it, and I knew I had not been behind any rock spewing trucks etc at all. I thought maybe it was the windshield angle that was more prone to damage than my other vehicles (that may still be the case OR soft glass). The glass on my wife's 01 SLS with 48K miles looks about the same as my 06 SRX with less than 3K miles.

Oh yeah, ZERO, and I mean ZERO damage or chips anywhere on the front end or hood or side mirrors.

john d
08-29-06, 02:33 PM
TSS - No one else has reported this problem. Wonder if we are doing something to soften the glass.
Do you use RainX, Glass Plus or anything like that other than normal car wash soap like Blue Coral?
Still welcome any others with this issue to chime in.

TSS
08-30-06, 08:36 AM
No rain-X or any other addative or application. If fact, mine still has the orig window washer fluid from the factory. I do go through a touchless car wash about once a week - I can't imagine that has anything to do with it...

For glass cleaner, I use Invisible Glass.

c5 rv
08-30-06, 10:14 AM
For glass cleaner, I use Invisible Glass.

Gotta love Stoners!

TSS
08-30-06, 01:21 PM
I do love Stoners. I used to buy it by the case directly from the company, but Sam's Club has it now too.

muskeg
09-01-06, 11:25 PM
I've noticed this as well. I have an 05 V8 AWD SRX. I thought perhaps the softer glass was something to do with giving the glass a low e rating. My business partner has an MDX and he is noticing the same thing with his windshield.