: 94 eldorado W/coolant in oil

metro107
02-15-04, 09:44 AM
:confused: Pulled dipstick on my 94 eldorado and discovered coolant is mixing with oil,been adding quite a bit lately and noticed a little skipping at start up,my question is,should i try leak sealer?if yes which one works the best lots of choices out there or just pull it apart and change gaskets(PITA).:hmm: thought with the north*design this wasnt supposed to happen thats what i was told?

zonie77
02-15-04, 11:05 AM
It happens, especially if the coolant was never changed. Big job to change the gaskets but you can do it yourself if you want. Threads with plenty of info on the site.

If it's to the point you're getting water in the oil you have to change the gaskets.

Here's one of the threads:
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

metro107
02-15-04, 12:04 PM
It happens, especially if the coolant was never changed. Big job to change the gaskets but you can do it yourself if you want. Threads with plenty of info on the site.

If it's to the point you're getting water in the oil you have to change the gaskets.

Here's one of the threads:
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052thanks alot for info zonnie if you can think of anything else i would appreciate it.time to get to work,this job should keep me busy for a while huh.

zonie77
02-15-04, 12:20 PM
Yep, it'll keep you outta trouble awhile.

Nothing extremely hard. Get the manual and get the dishpans. They made it so easy to reassemble! No searching for a bolt a little shorter...You have different assemblies sorted as you took it apart. Good Luck.

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 12:02 PM
:confused: Pulled dipstick on my 94 eldorado and discovered coolant is mixing with oil,been adding quite a bit lately and noticed a little skipping at start up,my question is,should i try leak sealer?if yes which one works the best lots of choices out there or just pull it apart and change gaskets(PITA).:hmm: thought with the north*design this wasnt supposed to happen thats what i was told?

It is VERY unusual for coolant to get into the oil of a Northstar....especially since there are no immediate leak paths at any gasket surface for coolant to get to the oil. It can possibly happen at a headgasket if the coolant leaks into the oil returns...but....if that is happening there should be other, much more obviuos signs of head gasket failure such as dramatic coolant consumption, loss of power and compression, pressurization of the coolant system due to combustion gases, etc...

One thing, before you rip into the head gaskets....check the radiator and the oil cooler in the radiator for a cross leak within the radiator end tank. There is an oil cooler in the end tank and often, if there is a leak, the coolant can seep into the lube oil in the cooler due to the latent cooling system pressure at shutdown. Usually, if there is a cooler leak, there will be corresponding signs of oil in the cooling sytem...look carefully for that also.