: Vibration Trouble

Staxxin
08-27-06, 12:06 PM
For those of you that have experience a vibration in 6th gear please share your experiences. Iím interested in understanding whether I have the trouble defined in the TSB or something else.

Yesterday, my wife and I went for a nice drive to Carlisle, PA for the Annual Corvettes @ Carlisle event. Driving up and back I noticed while cruising in 6th gear I had a vibration not shaking me around but I can feel and see my steering wheel move. At first I thought it was the road but I noticed it practically the entire time but at higher speeds of course. At certain speeds, which I was unable to narrow in on, it felt worse.

At one point on 83 which appear to be recently resurfaced, I tried down shifting into 5th and not immediately but shortly after shifting into 5th it went away so I went back to 6th with like behavior, not immediately but shortly after the vibration returned.

Your input is greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

JonCR96Z
08-27-06, 12:22 PM
I just read the same thing on the other board, guy said they replaced his tranny and it was gone.

I ran my new-to-me 27,000 mile '04 V on a non bumper-to-bumper interstate a little over a week ago up to 85 - 95 MPH in 6th for the first time. It had a 6th gear vibration and roar that worsened with speed. All was well in 1 thru 5, problem only showed up in 6th.

I took it into the dealer and have been waiting over a week for a new tranny and diff rebuild ( the diff had a irritating whine). I haven't seen much on the forum about bum trannies. I could understand problems in the "hot" gears, but the double overdrive 6th never sees any punishment. The service writer at the dealer hasn't a clue, he just says "no sweat, it's all under warrranty".
Anyone else have this problem???

Dave

The V was gone for 2 weeks to the day, but it now has a brand new '06 trans and '06 diff. About $7,400.00 in GM warranteed repairs. I drove it from Nashville to Panama City, FL yesterday, no more diff whine and smooth as silk in 6th. I hope this setup holds up!!

Andrews Cadillac service dept. ROCKS!!!!

Dave

Staxxin
08-27-06, 12:30 PM
Good to know, THANK YOU!!! I'm feeling the vibration at lower speeds than he experienced too i.e. 60mph +.... Is it safe to assume it could still be the same issue?

rand49er
08-27-06, 12:33 PM
Geez, Jon looks like he has your problem identified ... hopefully.

JonCR96Z
08-27-06, 01:13 PM
I just searched the member list and he seems to be a member here too, maybe he'll chime in.

Ishminder
08-27-06, 01:27 PM
I had my transmission replaced. For me, when I stepped on the accelerator in 6th gear at 60+mph, I feel a vibration in my rear seats, almost sounds like a subwoofer and you get a back massage. It gets louder and more noticeable at higher speeds, but eventually at close to 90 or 100 it seems like it is gone or is very minimal. This will also happen in 5th gear at the same speeds if it is the tranny. If it only happens in one gear, then it is probably that the driveshaft or something needs to be aligned (look us on cadillacfaq.com pi.) If you have any other questions, you can email me at Ishminder@aol.com and I can provide you with the exact thing they wrote and what the PI was. Good luck.

JonCR96Z
08-27-06, 03:54 PM
The driveshaft is directly related to speed. A driveshaft problem will occur at the same speed regardless of gear. Same for everything behind the driveshaft. Most transmission problems will be dependent on RPM and gear, not speed. Unless it is a problem with the output shaft.

Closer_2001
08-31-06, 12:19 AM
For those of you that have experience a vibration in 6th gear please share your experiences. Iím interested in understanding whether I have the trouble defined in the TSB or something else.

You will notice the vibration occurs when you are under light load. No load tends to make the vibration disappear.

Autom8r
10-11-06, 07:19 PM
I guess I neglected to subscribe to this thread and have missed out on it for the past 5 weeks.

I have put over 1500 miles on the car with the new trans and diff at speeds from around-town crawling to a quick blast to 130 MPH on I-65 and 6th is whisper quiet and vibration free, the diff whine is GONE. I asked the service guy at the Caddy dealer what the problem was. He said dunno, they would sort it out when the trans went back to engineering at the fatcory and we likely would never know what fouled up in the Tremec.

Wish I could be of more help, but if yours is sounding like a subwoofer with a built-in back massage (super description of my problem), get it into the dealer before the warranty expires!

If your warranty is gone, get your wallet out.....

Dave