: Interesting comment from my neighbor.

wildwhl
08-26-06, 10:19 PM
My son and I were out washing the V earlier tonight (actually, my son was scratching the V and chasing lizards and bugs, I was trying to remove what's left of the previous tires from the wheel wells and clean the rims).

My 63 yo neighbor came over (current garage BMW X5 and Mercedes SL500, formerly 355 F1 and a previous gen AMG that I never saw - his age and cancer have been slowing him down) and we chatted for a while.

He asked me if I was ready to trade in the V - and I commented that I intended to keep her in the stable forever :bouncy: and look for additions to grow the fleet. He gave me a pretty dirty look - as if to say he was tired of seeing the black Caddy in the neighborhood, and that I would have to be stupid to keep an american vehicle longer than a couple of years. He mentioned he was glad I took the loud exhaust off :nono:

Now, he has been for a ride in her before the maggie and other mods, but never driven her. I asked if he wanted to take her for a spin - and threw him the keys and my son and I continued to find mini-dinosaurs in the rocks. About 25 minutes later he returns. (I was starting to get a little nervous)

Big ass grin and giggling, I couldn't really understand what he was saying at first.

A couple of quotes (now imagine my neighbor - a very nice asian man, about 5'3" with excellent manners and usually very subdued and quiet):

"...wow you have to hold on when you floor it...and tires must cost a fortune!"

"...I can't pull (one of our favorite corners) at 65 in the SL500 - not even close...more like 52 or 53..." (I managed 90 once on F1's)

"...sort of clunky, and rides too rough for me, but I can see why you like it...reminds me of the 355 the way it rides"

"...screw the E63 AMG - it is the same car for a lot more money and won't handle anything like it..." (his opinion, of course, but this is the car he is considering swapping the SL500 for)

"...if only it had the M power button for more power..." (little does he know that he needs to turn T/C off for a similar change, throttle response, etc. - the M5 is on his short list too)

"...sorry, it is still just a Cadillac - but boy does it handle..."

So there you go. In the end - he likes the car quite a bit. We compared notes on service visits, etc. He praised his BMW (the 2nd he has owned) and had many, many complaints about the SL500 - which has <5,000 miles and has had several batteries and other modules replaced.

Days like today make me love the V all over again :worship:

WW

keeksv
08-26-06, 10:29 PM
Points for driving "just a Cadillac."

f Bimmers

ew

VELOSE
08-26-06, 10:33 PM
I really want my GC kit to bring back the handling the V had, and then some. The car seemed unsettled over rough patches and small potholes on the freeway. I'm assured by a few that things will be fabulous again. I hope so. Our V's are very hard to replace at the same price level. If I want a similar car, I'll have to go euro and that all starts at $50k base(S4).

It's beautiful when a veteran/cultured car owner like your neighbor can still appreciate our American muscle. :thumbsup:

Florian
08-26-06, 10:44 PM
Tell him he spent waaaayyy too much cash on such fine autos, when all he had to do was pony up for the V......I love stupid rich guys!

F

wildwhl
08-26-06, 10:56 PM
Actually, I have to respect him.

First - I neglected to submit the the comment from the title of my post. What did I find interesting? "...yeah, I would keep it too."

Now the respect part.

In 2000 he had a kidney stone. They had to operate. There were complications. Lost a kidney as the result and was very sick for about 3 months. 3 months after that he still felt like crap. Dr.'s ran tons of tests, but couldn't figure it out. He finally went to an old family Dr. who somehow discovered he had cancer (type I don't know). Started chemo and other treatments right away. That man saved his life, he is now in remission.

His wife told him during this time that life is too short to wait for those things you have always dreamed of, and you can't take money with you. He gave much of it away to family - sold his 2 restaurants - kept his rental properties - retired - and bought a Ferrari and a Mercedes AMG.

Florian - I can respect your comment as well. In this case, however, the man was right to spend the way he has. He is still doing well, and I incorrectly listed his age above (as I do the math of the years) he is actually turning 67 this year.

Regardless - he liked the Caddy a lot more than he thought he would. Was very surprised that all the work had been done myself with help of friends.

WW

Florian
08-26-06, 11:15 PM
Florian - I can respect your comment as well. In this case, however, the man was right to spend the way he has. He is still doing well, and I incorrectly listed his age above (as I do the math of the years) he is actually turning 67 this year.

WW

WW,

Id love to have that kind of income, I guess Im just happy I got to the end of the rainbow without having to go the long way.....

F

wildwhl
08-26-06, 11:18 PM
F -

I hope to be right there beside you :grouphug:

WW

David W. Bailey
08-27-06, 08:38 AM
You might mention to your neighbor that in the 2006 Consumer Reports Buyers Guide, Cadillac CTS does pretty damn well, but most Mercedes models have cautionary remarks, or are just flat "not recommended". The 7 series BMW is also listed as quite the lemon.

Consumer Reports staffers tell it like it is, and they are not going on free ski trips in Bavaria all the time, like our Car and Driver buddies.

There is a big difference between perception and reality with these "high dollar" German cars, and don't forget about Toyota's big engine failure and recall. Cadillacs are great cars, they are just not seen as "cool".

rand49er
08-27-06, 08:51 AM
Isn't it unfortunate the stereotype domestic cars have with some (many?)people? Wild, that was absolutely a great way to handle the situation, giving him the keys and all. :highfive:

CTSV05
08-27-06, 10:28 AM
Good for you wild......and I admire his tenacity.

Although, I do find snobby euro owners a bit tedious.

Chef
08-27-06, 07:46 PM
Isn't it unfortunate the stereotype domestic cars have with some (many?)people? Wild, that was absolutely a great way to handle the situation, giving him the keys and all. :highfive:

simply put....class act.

Chef

ctsvett
08-27-06, 08:01 PM
See... even WW's neighbor is somewhat cool...

Is it in the water up there Wild?

Reed

CIWS
08-27-06, 08:12 PM
Cool story, thanks for sharing it with us :)

BigFred
08-27-06, 10:49 PM
"only a cadillac"... to me that's a big reason why the car is so cool. It's a Cadillac sports car, with a big wreath on the front grill. This exact same car as a Chevy, Lincoln, BMW or an Infiniti just isn't as cool. Not going to comment on the neighbor, but I love the fact that the V is a Cadillac.

dqw1
08-27-06, 11:01 PM
It just blows my mind everytime I look at my grill and see that wreath. I still can't believe Cadillac, of all mfr's, made the V line up!

HushH
08-27-06, 11:37 PM
Ditto. Last month I took the car back to the little town I grew up in and I just kept hearing over and over "Cadillac makes a stick shift???". Everyone was just wowed by the V.

P-Funk
08-28-06, 10:41 AM
Great post. Thanks for sharing it.

rbrown81
08-28-06, 10:55 AM
I wont knock BMW's and the likes, but the Caddy is going punch for punch with the euros with the V-Series. It would seem like your neighbour doesnt read much about cars, and just thinks that the more money he throws at it, the better.

Bang for the buck is what it is all about. Thats why the new Z06 is so good.

Silver Dollar
08-28-06, 11:27 AM
That reminds me, I was going through the north gate at Ft Hood the other day. After presenting my credentials and driving on I noticed the guard waving me down.

I was wondering what what was wrong so I stopped and he came up and said, "that's a Caddie, and it HAS A 6 SPEED!"

That's when I got out, opened the hood and showed him the rest. :)

wildwhl
08-28-06, 05:51 PM
rbrown81 -

on the contrary. He receives more car rags every month than I even knew existed. He was the most excited neighbor when I brought her home - knew everything about the V that I did and more.

Since he reads so many differnt rags - he also knows of the many, many issues we're having with our cars. He also knows that mine has been in the shop for almost 80 days in the first 2.5 years.

He's a great judge of an automobile, trust me.

WW