: Catera timing belt

phillgifts
08-26-06, 08:29 PM
I own a 2001 with 79K. Valve cover gaskets need replaced and the GM tech says I should replace timing belt. He says its not if the belt will go with Cateras if when and usually before 100K. He makes it sound like the valve cover gaskets might be just the tip of the iceberg. Pretty gloomy picture he painted overall. Any thoughts?

guardian
08-27-06, 08:31 AM
If you are the original owner of your car please say so.

But if not:

Your belt most likely was replaced during the recall service. It is not the TOTAL miles on your Catera, but instead the number of miles since the recall service, that matters re your belt.

You need to access the service history of your car and research when, and at how many miles, the recall service was performed. Any good Caddy dealer has this data in their computer - or you can telephone Caddy's toll-free customer service number. You will need to provide your VIN in either case. There should be no charge for you to obtain your service history.

If your car still has the original belt, with 79K miles on it, you are sitting on a time bomb having a VERY short fuse; and you may be the most fortunate Catera owner in recorded history.

But most likely this is NOT the case.

I respect a 60K mile service interval on the timing belts. But opinions on this vary. If your car is garaged it is a plus, a heated garage is even a larger plus, extending the life of your belt. If your car is parked outdoors in winter and used each day, I likely would go with a 50K mile belt change interval. This takes into account your Ohio location. Outdoor storage would be less a factor in a warm weather venue, e.g., southern Florida.

Good luck!

phillgifts
08-27-06, 08:51 AM
Thank you for the information. I didn't even know there was a recall on the timing belt. I bought the car in 03. It had 33k on it. I'll see if I can find out more info. Would the recall still be honored if it was never performed?

guardian
08-27-06, 08:59 AM
Would the recall still be honored if it was never performed?

In a word: Yes.

But depending on the dealer you approach, YMMV. Money is tight at GM. However they ARE obligated to perform the recall service one time on all Cats without charge. It is just that you might have to jump up and down a little.

That having been said:

It is VERY unlikely the recall service remains unperformed on your car. Should this turn out to be the case: take the day off and count yourself among the most fortunate Cat owners on this planet; you just got your timing belt, and a lot of other items, fixed and replaced for free!

cynic
08-27-06, 12:17 PM
I thought the recall involving the timing belt (actually the pulleys right?) only involved the '97 and '98. Was this also an issue for the '00 and '01?

Warez
08-28-06, 11:21 PM
I thought the recall involving the timing belt (actually the pulleys right?) only involved the '97 and '98. Was this also an issue for the '00 and '01?

I agree, as far as I know the recall did not cover 2000 and 2001 models.

guardian
08-29-06, 06:43 AM

I agree, as far as I know the recall did not cover 2000 and 2001 models.

I appreciate you both calling this into question re the 2000 and 2001 Cats. I have on my desk a 2001 Catera service history showing recall service on the pulleys, water pump, etc.. Also, there is this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/30592-recall.html?highlight=recall

But while I thought I understood all this stuff, now I'm not so sure.:confused: Because while the 2000 and 2001 Cats appear to have been recalled, there is apparently no guarantee their belts were renewed at the time of recall:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/27419-timing-belt-tensioner-recall-tip.html?highlight=recall

I guess my best counsel to the OP is to renew the damn belt ASAP. That way you will know precisely where you stand. The penalty for belt failure is often loss of your engine. It's just not worth taking the risk.

An explanation of how any Cadillac dealer could perform the recall service WITHOUT installing a new belt is above my pay grade and beyond my ability to provide. To me, this just seems NUTS!