: Helmet suggestions.

V-Love
08-25-06, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have any. Must be snell approved 95 or better. Looking for an openface to use at track days. Thanks.
SafeRacer.com is a great site.

HushH
08-25-06, 05:03 PM
Check out Auto Racing Helmets & Motorcycle Helmets - Auto Racing Safety Equipment (http://www.saferacer.com). Simpson Cruiser and Bell Mag-IV are you most economical options. Haven't tried either of those specific models but I've owned several Bell bike helmets and they've all been really good, though I do find the Arai a little more comfortable.

JonCR96Z
08-25-06, 05:12 PM
Ebay

calicadi
08-25-06, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have any. Must be snell approved 95 or better. Looking for an openface to use at track days. Thanks.
This is my helmet. Chose it because super-wide view and the lightest of it's type. Really makes a difference when you're pulling G's to have a lightweight lid. Wide view also important on the track. It's expensive, but it's your head we're talkin' here!

ed. Oops! My Bad... forgot to mention the brand/model. It's an OMP Integrale Turismo. Paid $450 in 2004.
Description:
The Integrale Turismo features a light weight, composite construction with an adjustable sun visor and a wide eye port providing all the benefits of an open face helmet with the face protection of a full face helmet. The Integrale Turismo comes complete with Nomex lining and Kevlar chin strap for added fire retardancy. Vents on the front and top of the helmet provide improved ventilation. The helmet is designed to allow easy fitment of intercom headphones and microphone. Specifically designed for Sedan racing and Rally applications. SA 2000 certified. Available in white only. Sizes: XS to XL. Weight: 1450 grams.

The newest version is on the right. Same basic helmet with revised profile, added ventilation and provisions for HANS attachment.

darvish
08-25-06, 07:53 PM
Look for SNELL SA 2005 rating,, M and SA will probaly protect your head BUT the SA .. special application is specificaly for vehicles other than motorcycles,, i use a Simpson with aeroaids when racing open cockpit... cut down on buffeting. a realy nice open face with SA 2005 rating would work juts fine,,in a sedan. if your a serious fanatic about safety.. get a HANS device,, i like mine as it actualy takes a lot of the side load off when cornering at high Gs.

and id liketo echo an earlier thought,, DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A HELMET

Bill
St Louis

51PHFTY
08-25-06, 08:08 PM
I have both Arai's and Simpsons and I echo the "do not cheap out" opinion. No matter much how you spend on the helmet, it will still be cheaper then the medical bills/deductable. My advice, get one where you can replace the liner/foam every year or two depending on how much you use it.

I know from first hand experience that using a cheap helmet with old, worn out padding can cause death. My teammate died from a 2" depression fracture (skull) b/c he was using a 9 year old bucket with the original lining. If it had been a high quality helmet with fresh foam, he would still be here (I was the one who took the helmet to the hopsital b/c the ER Dr.'s wanted to see it). It was cracked down the right temple to the jaw line, but, according to the ER Dr.'s, the old worn out foam transferred all of the energy to his skull instead of absorbing it.

BTW: It happened as he was coming out of a series of turns and he was nowhere near top speed (doing well under 100 mph).

Marty

LV_V
08-25-06, 08:45 PM
These helmets work best for me. They fit just right, even in the V.

Disclaimer: Best when used in backseat; any attempt to use in driver seat may result in undesirable performance.

V-Love
08-26-06, 12:49 AM
Very appreciated. I have so many helets laying around and they have all done their job but its time for a new one. I never new what M and SA stood for. Thanks for the info. I'm off and searching. I would love to try them on first. I guess I could order two sizes and send one back.

LV_V
08-26-06, 02:51 AM
Its probably not a good idea to reuse helmets, but I have heard of people who have done so.

Flyboy
08-26-06, 09:37 AM
Lv V........:cheers: LMAO!!!!

QuickChickLeslie
08-26-06, 09:43 AM
Just want to throw this out there to you. I have had an account with www.pyrotect.com (http://www.pyrotect.com)

Not spamming, or selling, just offering...

Look around, send me an email, and I will get you the best price possible.
Fiber-Tech Composite Shell
Standard Speed Aerodynamics
Open Ventilation
Open Eye Port Size
Visor Only
E-Max Liner
Comfortable Standard/FR Plus Interior
Available in sizes XS, S, M, L, XL
White and Black Color
Snell 2005
$215+ $8.50 shipping

blown black caddy
08-26-06, 02:27 PM
When I'm on the track I use a Bell M3 for my Car and an Arai RX-7 when I'm on the bike. Both are full face helmets. I'm sorry if this sounds like a flame but why do you want an open face? Is it visibility or claustraphobia induced? I have crashed (on the bike of course) and would never dream of using anything other than a full face helmet! Even in the car a strong impact and you are going to be eating steering wheel/airbag on a head on impact.Ever hear of a La Forte fracture? It seems that after Dale Earnhardt crashed wearing an open face helmet you don't see many drivers wearing them that often anymore? I could be mistaken of course. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

V-Love
08-26-06, 04:07 PM
I was just debating over open face or not. I will not be racing anyone other than myself. I like open face in a car because they are more comfortable and I can see better. However a full face could serve double duty with the MX. The open face I am looking at is M rated. Never heard of a La Forte fracture but I did see Seth Enslow(?) over shoot a 260 foot MX jump and eat handlebars with a full face. It seems like if the visor is off/up you could easily hook something in a crash. Decisions...

wildwhl
08-26-06, 08:51 PM
I, too, am looking for a helmet. My motorcycle helmets, while fantastic for riding, just aren't quite right in the car.

I can also attest to the value of a good helmet. It didn't save my right knee or left wrist or back, shoulders, arms and legs from broken bones, grindage, and road rash, but it did save my head from cracking and my face from being ground to asphalt ash. The helmet was trashed and so was the bike - but it saved my life - for certain.

Spend as much as you think your life is worth :thumbsup:

WW

Dennisscars
08-26-06, 09:50 PM
Spend as much as you think your life is worth :thumbsup:

WW
:yeah:

I started with a full face because that's what I was used to for MCs and figured full face was cheaper than dental work. I switched to an open face after a few times on the track with the V. It comes down to personal preference I suppose, hopefully the taste of the air bag isn't too bad. Maybe I'll drive such that I won't find out with an open face.

But it's sure hot sometimes at Buttonwillow with a full face.

Some/most tracks will not let you run with a M)otorcycle rated helmet. S's are fire rated where M's are not and rated for one bad crash.

JonCR96Z
08-26-06, 11:48 PM
I never could understand why people ride motorcycles without a helmet. Its so easy to go down. Doesn't even have to be a bad crash. I have a couple helmets that show me where I would have had bald spots, even though the wrecks weren't necessarily life threatning.

About spending what you think your life is worth. First of all, the chances of having a fatal wreck are far greater on the road than on the track, but you guys aren't wearing helmets there. Secondly, if your going to be driving the V then a Snell approved helmet in good condition of any price will be enough to protect your head. If your not driving a car with as much safety equipment, then of course use you're own judgement as to what you need.

Comfort and visibility should be also considered. As an uncomfortible helmet that you can't see out of could easily make you more likely to wreck.

wildwhl
08-27-06, 01:50 AM
Fair enough Jon...I think my comment is somewhat irrelevant here and meant more to my opinion of riding these days ;)

WW

Bfegan
08-27-06, 09:17 AM
The Pyrotech helmet is made by Bell but doesn't have all the bells and whistles and therefore is cheaper. I have an open face Pyrotech and love it!

If you are taking a car onto a track for a sanctioned event it must be SNELL 2000 or later and rated "SA". A helmet is good for 10 years or longer if a new SNELL rating has not been issued. It took them longer to get out SNELL 2005s so the SNELL 95 was accepted at tracks until the 2005 became available. There is a "new" SNELL rating every 5 years. The "M" rated helmets are not acceptable because they don't have flame resistant straps/lining. The fire danger is greater in a car than on a motorcyle... the shell is basically the same. The extra cost is rationalized by the cost of flame resistance.

Be very careful to get a helmet that fits. Bigger is better. The different brands fit differently so try them on first.

If I were in the market for a helmet I would accept QuickChickLeslie's offer above.

Dennisscars
08-27-06, 04:45 PM
PM re: next SoCal track event. BW Sept 29/30/1st

turbojimmy
08-27-06, 05:54 PM
I got a G-FORCE helmet from Auto Racing Helmets & Motorcycle Helmets - Auto Racing Safety Equipment (http://www.saferacer.com).

While I'd normally agree with 'pay as much as you think your life is worth', the reality is that they're all tested to the same set of specifications. SNELL doesn't mess around. A helmet wouldn't have their stamp of approval if it didn't meet their specification, irrespective of how much it costs. The G-FORCE was half as much as my SNELL 95 Simpson helmet and meets SA2005 specifications.

With any kind of luck I'll need a fire jacket before the season is out ;)

Jim

thefly
08-27-06, 10:06 PM
I will need to dig up the SCCA article if someone insists on specifics, but back in late 2004 they were discussing allowing people to disable airbags for people wanted to wear full face helmets. dale earnhardt's car and most race cars don't have airbags in them. when the bag deploys with a full face helmet people were ending with broken jaws! i have worn an open face helmet for years. also your head is worth the extra expense to use an SA rated and not an M rated (used for motorcycles). take away with that what you will this is just what i do. the simpson open face is extremely comfortable, and will do the job. remember an airbag is there for you to prevent any dental work needed...

V-Love
08-28-06, 01:45 AM
I ordered two off of saferacer.com. One is open faced(xxl) one is full faced(xl). I got both for $300. The open face is M. The full face is SA. Shipping was free but I attached a note to upgrade shipping and bill me. I need it for this coming weekend. I hope they are on their game. Thanks everyone.:worship:

HushH
08-28-06, 01:18 PM
Let us know how they work for you.

turbojimmy
09-01-06, 03:48 PM
I ordered two off of saferacer.com. One is open faced(xxl) one is full faced(xl). I got both for $300. The open face is M. The full face is SA. Shipping was free but I attached a note to upgrade shipping and bill me. I need it for this coming weekend. I hope they are on their game. Thanks everyone.:worship:

So did they come through for you? I was impressed by how quick they delivered my stuff.

Jim

lasstss
09-01-06, 04:37 PM
Open Face Helmets (http://www.helmetshop.com/openface.asp)?

Got mine from here. Fairly good price for an open helmet.

50 4Ever
09-01-06, 05:11 PM
My suggestion is to go to a place that sells good racing helmets and get fitted, an improperly fitted helmet is not much better than going without.

I have two Pyrotect helmets, one is full face and the other is open faced. Keep in mind that for serious racing most Pyrotect helmets can not be used because of the free flow of air thru the helmet. I guess the thought is that if you are in a fire, the flames could get sucked into the helmet. But they are just fine for track days.

As mentioned in a post before, Pyrotect is made by Bell but a lot cheaper.

Also, if you will be racing at tracks with walls instead of run-off areas you might want to also consider a Head And Neck Support (HANS) Device. If you hit a wall at speed a helmet alone will not help you, your brainstem will be ripped off the spine and you will blead to death.

Check out Champ Car > HANS Device (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Tech/HANS_Device.asp)

Keep the shiny side up:thumbsup:

V-Love
09-03-06, 07:00 PM
I recieved my helmets from Saferacer.com on Friday(ordered Saturday). Shipped ground fo' free! I ordered two closeouts. Open face $100. Full face $200. As soon as put them on I knew open face was for me. I sent the other back same day and restocking fee was waived. Used it today at Moroso. Awsome deal. Great company. Helpful people. Open face rated Snell 2000 M. Size XXL. Its all I need for now.

Bfegan
09-04-06, 09:01 AM
Snell 2000 should be "legal" until 2010. They are nice helmets... enjoy!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-02-09, 10:18 PM
I'm going to bring this back from the dead... Anybody have any updated info/suggestions? I'm looking to get a helmet within the next month as there's a track day I want to go to in early April.

Edit to add that I'm looking to spend $150-$250.

darkman
03-02-09, 10:32 PM
I'm going to bring this back from the dead... Anybody have any updated info/suggestions? I'm looking to get a helmet within the next month as there's a track day I want to go to in early April.

Edit to add that I'm looking to spend $150-$250.

http://www.ogracing.com/pages/Home

thebigjimsho
03-02-09, 11:13 PM
When I'm on the track I use a Bell M3 for my Car and an Arai RX-7 when I'm on the bike. Both are full face helmets. I'm sorry if this sounds like a flame but why do you want an open face? Is it visibility or claustraphobia induced? I have crashed (on the bike of course) and would never dream of using anything other than a full face helmet! Even in the car a strong impact and you are going to be eating steering wheel/airbag on a head on impact.Ever hear of a La Forte fracture? It seems that after Dale Earnhardt crashed wearing an open face helmet you don't see many drivers wearing them that often anymore? I could be mistaken of course. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

I will need to dig up the SCCA article if someone insists on specifics, but back in late 2004 they were discussing allowing people to disable airbags for people wanted to wear full face helmets. dale earnhardt's car and most race cars don't have airbags in them. when the bag deploys with a full face helmet people were ending with broken jaws! i have worn an open face helmet for years. also your head is worth the extra expense to use an SA rated and not an M rated (used for motorcycles). take away with that what you will this is just what i do. the simpson open face is extremely comfortable, and will do the job. remember an airbag is there for you to prevent any dental work needed...
qft, thefly knows what he speaks.

However, that being said, I do have a full face helmet...

atdeneve
03-03-09, 04:34 AM
I gotta wear a full face, cuz I'm the Stig.

I also do not know what I speak.

ewill3rd
03-03-09, 08:39 AM
I see lots of good info here.
I would recommend finding a bike shop and trying some helmets on regardless of what you buy.
I always buy bike helmets because I don't track cars, but I always try a helmet on.
Everyone's head is different. I have tried on the helmets all the bike guys brag about, they like to have that Shoe or arai sticker on their head but when I try those helmets on it is like being in an iron maiden!
I have bought Fulmer, HJC, and KBC helmets and been perfectly happy with them because they fit my head. I know the Arai's torture my ears and are generally uncomfortable, I forget why Shoei bugs me but....
My latest is a Scorpion brand and it fits me better than any helmet I have ever had on, thus the $350 I paid to get one.
I mirror the comments about not understanding why people ride without helmets. I too have been in the smallest of scrapes wherein I would have probably been brain dead without one. The arrogance that "it can't happen to me" has killed a lot of people.

A couple other things, I usually won't keep a helmet for more than 4 years. Aside from the older designs not being quite so "fresh" I don't trust the helmet's ability to protect me as the components age and wear with time and use. It's a small price to pay to protect the most important thing I have.
The key is actually putting your head in some helmets to see what is comfortable.
I have no experience buying open face, but make sure the helmet fits snugly on your head without putting too much pressure on you. Turn your head back and forth and make sure the helmet turns with you. If it is too loose you'll know.
There are lots of places online that offer tips on properly fitting a helmet, be sure to look some over.
Personally I like the look of a full face helmet, but I can see where a car track application would make a full face not so desireable.
I always wear full face because I'd rather not scrape my face off on the pavement like I did my knee last year in blue jeans. (not going to happen again)

Buy new if you have the money, if the helmet has been dropped, abused, or is old it will not offer you sufficient protection if you need it.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-03-09, 09:34 AM
I want to go full face. Do different helmets within a brand generally fit the same? As in if I were to go to a bike shop and try on some M class helmets would it give me a good idea as too what size SA helmet to order online? If that makes sense.

50 4Ever
03-03-09, 01:48 PM
I want to go full face. Do different helmets within a brand generally fit the same? As in if I were to go to a bike shop and try on some M class helmets would it give me a good idea as too what size SA helmet to order online? If that makes sense.

I would find a shop that sells raciung helmets, not motorcycle helmets, and try on the kind you want to buy. I have a full face and an open face, both Pyrotect (made by Bell but cheaper) and they are different sizes.

atdeneve
03-04-09, 05:23 AM

Every brand/manufacturer will fit different and they will each have their own size chart. The Snell rating or the M/SA class will not have any bearing on size.

Just figure out which helmet you'd like to go with first and then follow the manufacturer's fit guide. If you fall in between sizes, speak with the distributor/vendor or the manufacturer themselves and they should be able to tell you how their particular helmets tend to fit (larger or smaller).

Por ejemplo, after measuring your head with a string (generally along your ear line), if you fall smack dab in between the medium and large range for brand X helmets, and they tend to fit large, you'd go with the medium. Ja?

ewill3rd
03-04-09, 06:45 AM
In my experience helmets of the same brand have a tendency to fit the same.
I don't know about going from M to SA, but I would assume they would make them very similar.

My suggestion to find a motorcycle shop was mainly because they are easier to find than a place that sells helmets for auto racing. I would assume (although I don't honestly know) that most bike shops would take advantage of being a helmet dealer and stock lots of stuff for more than just riding bikes.
I could easily be wrong.
If you know of a local place that sells auto racing helmets, of course go there. In the absence of such a place, start at a bike shop and maybe ask them if they know of a place or see what they have in stock.

Better to buy one that is slightly too snug and wait for the foam to break in that buy a loose one and have one that doesn't fit properly.

smurf24k
03-10-09, 12:59 AM
i use a soumy helmet cuz its one of the lightest u can get thats snell and dot approved, on a bike they have considerable wind noise but thats not a factor when your in a car. on my bike i use and arai rx7 although a bit heavier its a better helmet all around but they cost about $700. i would suggest a soumy u can find them online for a little over 200 and they have cool graphics. one more thing.. the coushins inside a helmet that makes it protect your head starts to deteriorate helmets go bad after 3-5 years depending on use so i wouldnt buy a used one from ebay

Feffman
03-10-09, 07:56 AM
Look for SNELL SA 2005 rating,, M and SA will probaly protect your head BUT the SA .. special application is specificaly for vehicles other than motorcycles,, i use a Simpson with aeroaids when racing open cockpit... cut down on buffeting. a realy nice open face with SA 2005 rating would work juts fine,,in a sedan. if your a serious fanatic about safety.. get a HANS device,, i like mine as it actualy takes a lot of the side load off when cornering at high Gs.

and id liketo echo an earlier thought,, DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A HELMET

Bingo Bill!

I think you'll find a number of organizations are only accepting "SA" rated helmets and in today's litigous US society, more and more track organizers will go this way. I use a Simpson Speedway Shark (www.TeamSimpson.com) that is very safe, comfortable and now Hans equipped. Just picked up a Hans from Simpson about two weeks ago. Wife likes the additional safety.

Feff

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 12:33 PM
Oh, carbon fiber helmets. 3lbs... :drool:

MauiV
03-10-09, 12:38 PM
However, that being said, I do have a full face helmet...

Doesnt that make it harder for you to lick the windows?

:hide:

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 01:09 PM
Doesnt that make it harder for you to lick the windows?

:hide:
sure. but jomommas' Arby's fits just fine...

atdeneve
03-10-09, 02:27 PM
Oh, carbon fiber helmets. 3lbs... :drool:

HJC Si-12.

At less than 3lbs, lighter than their carbon fiber offerings. And SA2005. Flat black, son!

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 03:32 PM
HJC Si-12.

At less than 3lbs, lighter than their carbon fiber offerings. And SA2005. Flat black, son!
white is better for custom graphics

atdeneve
03-10-09, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on custom graphics, so...

I can still put on stickers of tracks I never ran though, right?

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 03:54 PM
Yes!

atdeneve
03-10-09, 04:51 PM
Uber superb!