: Stability System Issues?

healthytype
08-25-06, 04:28 PM
I've recently had a weird - and somewhat scary - experience w/ my 2004 CTS-V. The Stability System engages frequently and sometimes with such force it causes the car to pull to the left. Although this is bad enough, on a couple of occassions I've had to brake & the SS engages nearly pulling me off the road & interfering w/ braking. I've taken it to the local dealership & after checking it out they could not find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?

The Tony Show
08-25-06, 04:37 PM
It's usually a steering position sensor. I've seen a few wheelspeed sensors go too, but it's most likely the former. Warranty should take care of it.

Try to stop in while the "Service Stability Syatem" message is lit. Don't turn the car off when you pull in for service, as often times the code disappears when it's restarted.

healthytype
08-25-06, 06:01 PM
The problem is that I don't get the "Service Stability System" message as you describe.

LV_V
08-25-06, 06:26 PM
Damn that is scary. You're lucky it hasn't caused any serious accidents (I guess in actuality GM is lucky). I wouldn't drive it if my V was doing that... Take it to the dealer and leave it until they do something about it.

CIWS
08-25-06, 06:34 PM
Also if you have active Onstar call them as it's happening to look at the car and run a diag.

2004ctsv
08-25-06, 06:43 PM
This may be a case where you take the car back to the dealer and let the service manager drive it home.

But I wouldn't drive the car like it is.

LV_V
08-25-06, 06:46 PM
Just have to ask this, did you buy your V new or was it used/salvage rebuild? I've never heard of this happening before. Good luck getting it fixed, sounds like its a pretty serious problem.

urbanski
08-25-06, 06:58 PM
you can search "steering position" and you'll come up with a wealth of threads. Yes its a common problem.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/79371-stabilitrak-going-crazy.html?highlight=steering+position

this thread for example, specifically Reeds post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/747955-post10.html

The TSB is on the FAQ. Its all laid out for you

urbanski
08-25-06, 07:00 PM
and i dont think On* will come up with anything since AFAIK the steering sensor wont throw codes.
You'd get a code for the SSS warning with a bad yaw sensor.

edit: do NOT see a dealer if your aftermarket exhaust is to blame.

DILLIGAF
08-25-06, 08:06 PM
Shut it off!Leave it off,no worrys.Thats the first thing I do after starting the car.

nikon
08-25-06, 08:20 PM
Shut it off!Leave it off,no worrys.Thats the first thing I do after starting the car.

no worries??? it can do what you cant...apply brakes to one wheel at a time...it's saved my ass in a couple emergency situations...if your driving on the track thats different...but for daily driving??? it was put there for a reason USE IT!!!.....and I agree on the aftermarket exhaust do you have one??

DILLIGAF
08-25-06, 08:48 PM
no worries??? it can do what you cant...apply brakes to one wheel at a time...it's saved my ass in a couple emergency situations...if your driving on the track thats different...but for daily driving??? it was put there for a reason USE IT!!!.....and I agree on the aftermarket exhaust do you have one??Don't use it if its broke!Get it fixed,yes,it does need to be working.I shut mine off,brakes?who needs em.:want:

dslplaya
10-03-06, 03:36 AM
How do you shut off your stability system on a 03 CTS?

The Tony Show
10-03-06, 09:42 AM
You'll only have Stabilitrak if your 03 has the Sport package (17in wheels and Xenons).

If you do, press and hold the TC button inside the glovebox until the message "Stability System Off" appears in the DIC.

Be careful! There's a lot of hindsight that goes on when you slide into a tree after turning off Stabilitrak.

urbanski
10-03-06, 11:48 AM
why recommended only shutting it off for the ride to the mechanic*

*coming from somebody who hit a tree with ST turned off