: Sound like the injectors?

zzscott
08-25-06, 12:53 PM
Guys - need some help...
I've got a 95 ETC 4.6 Northstar, and it's running pretty rough. It surges and stumbles at idle, and sputters cuts out when I give it gas. It gets worse when the car is hot.
I'm getting no codes,
I checked the fuel pressure and the fuel regulator - both seem to be fine - Fuel pressure above 40 with vaccum line off the regulator, and no sign of gas coming out of the regulator.
I've replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and sparkplugs, but it just seems to get worse.
The only thing left I can think of that would cause this is the fuel injectors - can anybody back up my suspicion before I plop down $300-400 for injectors? Am I missing anything?
Thanks,
Scott

clarkz71
08-25-06, 01:09 PM
A dirty throttle body and/or EGR valve can cause your symptoms.

ljklaiber
08-25-06, 01:44 PM
Sounds like cleaning time!

I have used Redline S1-! for 3 years and my 95 SLS likes it.

Check it out at Pep Boys.

:bouncy:

Krashed989
08-25-06, 01:53 PM
Any codes?

Ranger
08-25-06, 06:37 PM
Clean the TB.

zzscott
08-28-06, 02:28 PM
Thanks Guys, the TB *was* pretty dirty, and it seems to have helped the rough idle somewhat, but the car still is cutting out and stuttering badly when I try to accelerate. And still no codes....

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Ranger
08-28-06, 05:06 PM
Plugs & wires. (A/C Delco)

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
08-28-06, 05:17 PM
What about the EGR valve? Use TB cleaner. I did mine about a week ago and man was it a pain in the neck. It wasn't all that hard to get to, but a fuel line or something else (I don't remember what) was anchored to the same screw that was holding down the EGR valve. So I take the nut off, but I couldn't remove the line, so I held it out of the way as best as I could while I slowly unscrewed the second screw like 1/16 of a turn each time. It took about 20 min to get it out, less than 2 min the clean the valve and 20 more min to screw it back in. THen I had the other screw and the rest of the stuff to put back in place. I don't know if it will be as difficult for you but definately do it. If after cleaning it, the pin is locked in place, you will need to replace it. It is about 200 dollars I think.

Aside from that, you may want to change the wires too. If you do, make sure you use some compressed air to clear any junk out first. Go with factory.

Oh ya. What about o2 sensors? I hear sometimes they will go bad, but won't send a code.

zzscott
08-28-06, 06:11 PM
Thanks ideas, Guys. Yeah, checked the EGR, and yeah, it's a pain in the @$$, just as you described - it seemed to be pretty clean and working ok.

Another question: regarding injectors, doing a little online research, I see that most cars (American V8s) use a universal type injector, just different flow rates. When I asked a vendor about my 95 ETC in particular, he replied most cars do use a universal type injector, except my car, which are about $100 more (rebuilt) - is that right? Everybody uses one kind of injector except 95 Northstars?

Thanks,
Scott

Ranger
08-28-06, 07:22 PM
Plugs & wires. (A/C Delco)
Oops, I see you did replace the plugs. How about the wires?

weister42
08-31-06, 12:31 AM
If your injectors leak gas when the fuel system is pressurized then ou have a bad injector, like me:) all of my injectors are seeping so when I park my car for like 20 minutes on a hot day I have to press on the pedal to help start the car. Yes I checked everything else.

zzscott
09-01-06, 12:08 AM
Well Ranger, my hat is off to you. It was the wires...

Of course I spent $440 getting the injectors cleaned first... But they needed it - the guy said they were full of rust! Hmm, where have I been buying my gas? Anyway, after the cleaning, there was a minor improvement, but still not right, and I remembered back in youth fighting with a weber carb on a sports car, convinced the fuel system was the problem - it was the wires then too... You'd think I'd learn, but it just felt like a fuel problem. Funny how those wires can do that...

Anyway - thanks again to all that offered advice, I appreciate it.
And if you're ever around Northern California, and a black ETC blows by you doing triple digits on the freeway - wave, it's probably me...
-Scott

Ranger
09-01-06, 01:19 AM
:thumbsup: I've always believed that injector cleaning was a money maker for the shops. They have to come up with somthing when 10,000 mile tune ups went away. Glad you got it solved.

davesdeville
09-01-06, 03:57 AM
But they needed it - the guy said they were full of rust! Hmm, where have I been buying my gas?

If they actually were full of rust... where have you been buying your fuel filters?

Ranger
09-01-06, 10:28 AM
Well Ranger, my hat is off to you. It was the wires...

Of course I spent $440 getting the injectors cleaned first... But they needed it - the guy said they were full of rust! Hmm, where have I been buying my gas? Anyway, after the cleaning, there was a minor improvement, but still not right, and I remembered back in youth fighting with a weber carb on a sports car, convinced the fuel system was the problem - it was the wires then too... You'd think I'd learn, but it just felt like a fuel problem. Funny how those wires can do that...

Anyway - thanks again to all that offered advice, I appreciate it.
And if you're ever around Northern California, and a black ETC blows by you doing triple digits on the freeway - wave, it's probably me...
-Scott
He has to tell you something so that you feel the $440 was money well spent and keep coming back. If infact they were "full of rust", I doubt that the engine would run at all.