: 98 Catera CD Player in a 97?

Carcadi
08-25-06, 09:32 AM
Will a 1998 Cadillac Catera factory standard CD Player fit in my 1997 Catera without having to make any modifications? I currently have just the tape deck :eek:

CadillacSTS42005
08-25-06, 07:36 PM
ok heres the deal it was common belief by all that NO this could not be done even by me and im one of the people here who is alway down at the audio part of the forum. HOWEVER i recently grew tired of the look of my aftermarket deck and wanted to install the factory hu, my problem was yours though only a cassette deck. in answer to your question YES it can be added. HOWEVER you need to have the theft lock turned off on the radio, BE SURE THAT WHEN YOU GO TO THE DEALER YOU TELL THEM TO GO INTO THIER TECH 2 TO CLEAR THE THEFTLOCK FROM THE RADIO THAT THEY ENTER INTO THE YEAR 1998 NOT (edit) 1997. or else youll end up sitting there waiting for 2 hours like i did before my service rep asked me to go talk with thier tech and explain how i knew to unlock the radio, also ive herd that catera radios although they look the same as the eldo sivvy and divvy radios, are different so be sure to buy on for a 98+ Catera. hope this helps and oh it cost me 45 bucks to have them unlock it, when im the one who had to teach them how to unlock it.

P.S. i bought and installed the radio myself. be sure whoever you buy the radio off of that you obtain the vin code of the car the radio is out of or else the dealer will NOT unlock the radio...

TrofeoS/C
08-26-06, 11:22 AM
ok heres the deal it was common belief by all that NO this could not be done even by me and im one of the people here who is alway down at the audio part of the forum. HOWEVER i recently grew tired of the look of my aftermarket deck and wanted to install the factory hu, my problem was yours though only a cassette deck. in answer to your question YES it can be added. HOWEVER you need to have the theft lock turned off on the radio, BE SURE THAT WHEN YOU GO TO THE DEALER YOU TELL THEM TO GO INTO THIER TECH 2 TO CLEAR THE THEFTLOCK FROM THE RADIO THAT THEY ENTER INTO THE YEAR 1998 OR 1997. or else youll end up sitting there waiting for 2 hours like i did before my service rep asked me to go talk with thier tech and explain how i knew to unlock the radio, also ive herd that catera radios although they look the same as the eldo sivvy and divvy radios, are different so be sure to buy on for a 98+ Catera. hope this helps and oh it cost me 45 bucks to have them unlock it, when im the one who had to teach them how to unlock it.

P.S. i bought and installed the radio myself. be sure whoever you buy the radio off of that you obtain the vin code of the car the radio is out of or else the dealer will NOT unlock the radio...

Yes, it can be done. You're very close on the description, but without some detail, many dealers will not know how to do this. You have to be a bit creative.

A little background, the 97 Catera does not have radio data available to the Tech2. So if you try to connect as a 97 it will not work. You must connect as a 98. Also, the VIN is not required, though the dealer may ask you for it to verify it's not a stolen radio.

So here's how you do it. Connect Tech 2, select 1998 Cadillac Catera>Body>Radio>Special Functions>VIN Relearn. Follow the onscreen instructions and your radio will work.

Also, there's a few of us independent shops out there with Tech2's now, often this will be easier to get done with one of us than a dealer as most dealers don't like modifications. Another note, the connector is inverted on some of the newer radios, so don't get scared when it looks like it won't plug in.

Scott Pearson
The Auto Shop (http://www.theautoshop.net)
Tipton, Iowa

(http://www.theautoshop.net)