: Engine Roaring and Popping from dead stop

getaway6819
08-24-06, 04:27 PM
I recently aquired a 1999 Deville and I have noticed that thie 4.6 has considerably more power than my 1994 4.9. The engine litterly roars when putting the accelerator to the floor. Is this normal? I cannot recall My 4.9 deville sounding this gutsy. One other thing occasionally under hard acceleration from a dead stop, not when kicking it down to pass a car, that it will occasionally have a popping sound maby two or three times while in first. Does any one have any thoughts? I checked for codes and there were none. my neighbor said he would change plugs and wires. the car has 59,987 miles on the clock now. Looking forward to hearing if someone has experienced this sort of problem. Thanks for reading
Mike

Ranger
08-24-06, 07:19 PM
The sound at WOT is normal. It is after all a high performance engine.

While 60K is a bit premature, I agree with your neighbor. Stick with A/C Delco plugs & wires. Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com). Good prices & fast shipping.

getaway6819
08-24-06, 07:43 PM
Ranger

Thank you for the fast responce. Needless to say your response put my mind to ease. Plugs and wires , not a problem.
Thanks again
Mike:)

eldorado1
08-24-06, 07:52 PM
I recently aquired a 1999 Deville and I have noticed that thie 4.6 has considerably more power than my 1994 4.9. The engine litterly roars when putting the accelerator to the floor. Is this normal? I cannot recall My 4.9 deville sounding this gutsy

Well the reason is highly scientific, but it can be simplified with the following fact:

Northstar's rule, 4.9's drool
:thepan:

Cadillacboy
08-25-06, 04:12 PM
My previous 96 STS had a very gutsy and overbearing roar at the idle or launch.As for my current car, it's not . It's too silent and you can hardly notice it's running.Also, when it's reaching normal operating temps , it goes silent and silent . May be what was made from 2000 and up N*s also included reduction of that noise . Even though I thought it was just some technical work in order to end up some headgasket or lousy problems .