: factory bose vs. aftermarket: anyone made the change?

wamanning
08-24-06, 04:49 PM
i've considered pulling my factory bose system from my '01 sport...but the factory sound is SOOOOOOO GOOD. i'm not into thumping base w/ thousands of watts, i want PURE and CLEAN sound and enough power to keep me happy. the factory system has that in spades, but it doesnt have modern stuff like MP3 support. i have an ipod FM transmitter, but that is definitely a low-sound-quality proposition.

so i'm wondering if anyone has pulled their factory bose system and replaced everything (head, amps, speakers, wires) with a high-end aftermarket system.

if you have, how does the sound QUALITY compare. i'm not talking WATTAGE, i'm talking crispness and purity and FIDELITY.

let me know what you've done and your thoughts on sound-quality +/-.

walter

Kcryan
08-24-06, 05:03 PM
i've considered pulling my factory bose system from my '01 sport...but the factory sound is SOOOOOOO GOOD. i'm not into thumping base w/ thousands of watts, i want PURE and CLEAN sound and enough power to keep me happy. the factory system has that in spades, but it doesnt have modern stuff like MP3 support. i have an ipod FM transmitter, but that is definitely a low-sound-quality proposition.

so i'm wondering if anyone has pulled their factory bose system and replaced everything (head, amps, speakers, wires) with a high-end aftermarket system.

if you have, how does the sound QUALITY compare. i'm not talking WATTAGE, i'm talking crispness and purity and FIDELITY.

let me know what you've done and your thoughts on sound-quality +/-.

walter

Im sure its been done, but i think your insane if you do it, ive had tons of cars with bose, and a bunch of aftermarket stereos too, (my I30 had bose, now has Alpine, Blaupunkt, and Infinity) but my 98 catera RIP had the best stero i EVER heard in a car.

Look into those things that are like $125 and hook in where the CD changer would go

netager
08-24-06, 05:14 PM
You can hook up your iPod or any device with RCA outputs instead of the changer - I did this in my Catera: sound quality is perfect and all my music is accessable :) I'll make a topic on weekend about how to do this.

todd2fst4u
08-24-06, 06:14 PM
i tried to use one of these on my 98 catera but it didnt work.
P.I.E. GM10-AUX 1995-2004 GM (Pre-wired) Auxiliary Input Converter (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piegm10aux.html)

CadillacSTS42005
08-24-06, 07:21 PM
perpherial ipod interface should work you have the same disc changer and system my ETC has and i did it

wamanning
08-24-06, 07:39 PM
"Cadillac 1997-1999 Catera (requires OEM part #12484910 cable harness if Catera is NOT pre-wired)"

what's up w/ that? is there a similar device which works w/ '01 cateras w/ factory bose?

CadillacSTS42005
08-24-06, 07:47 PM
that means you have to buy that part if you dont have the cd changer plug already in your caddy

wamanning
08-24-06, 08:53 PM
that means you have to buy that part if you dont have the cd changer plug already in your caddy

i guess i didnt quote the whole page. let's try again:

Cadillac

1997-1999 Catera (requires OEM part #12484910 cable harness if Catera is NOT pre-wired)
1995-1999 DeVille (Not compatible w/2000-2003)
1995-2002 Eldorado (Not compatible w/2003)
1995-2001 Seville (Not compatible w/2002-2003)now i read that as saying...it only works w/ 97-99 cateras regardless. and if you have a 97-99 catera w/o the right cable-harness, then you need to add that part, too. nowhere do i see any mention of compatiblity w/ 00-01 cateras...

any other sources to cross-reference?

passionaterage
08-24-06, 09:26 PM
When I bought my 97 Catera, the stereo had been stolen out of it. I replaced it with a Pioneer head unit, had to rerun all new speaker wires to each speaker (the original Bose speakers, they weren't stolen), and I have to say the sound is incredible. Everyone comments on how crisp and clear it is, especially the bass. I love it! It took a couple of hours, but well worth it. It's just the head unit suppying the power now, no seperate amp, and this thing still rocks!

CadillacSTS42005
08-24-06, 09:45 PM
to my extensive knowledge the sytstems were the same in the catera throughtout

wamanning
08-24-06, 10:11 PM
to my extensive knowledge the sytstems were the same in the catera throughtout

cool. thx.

CadillacSTS42005
08-24-06, 10:19 PM
could always email the perph company and ask for conformation

netager
08-24-06, 10:28 PM
wamanning, there is only one ipod interface kit that works with catera as I know. Plus you'll need to buy two extra cable for it - I assume you are prewired for the changer already. I'll post all the info with pics on weekend - don't have time right now.

wamanning
08-25-06, 09:02 AM
wamanning, there is only one ipod interface kit that works with catera as I know. Plus you'll need to buy two extra cable for it - I assume you are prewired for the changer already. I'll post all the info with pics on weekend - don't have time right now.

cool. yes, my catera is pre-wired for the changer.

looking fwd to the pics! if you have exact part#s for teh required materials, that would be helpful to the forum, i'm sure.

and the name is "walter"!

w

todd2fst4u
08-31-06, 08:27 PM
You can hook up your iPod or any device with RCA outputs instead of the changer - I did this in my Catera: sound quality is perfect and all my music is accessable :) I'll make a topic on weekend about how to do this.

did you ever post this? im still interested.

silentkiller19
09-04-06, 10:57 AM
wamanning - i have changed out the factory bose system in my catera... it is not a job to be taken lightly.

My new gear:
- kappa perfect 6.1 comp. set in front doors
- momo championship 6.5" comp. set in the rear
- alpine 4 channel amp for the speaker sets
- alpine mono block amp for the subs
- two kappa perfect 10" subs in a ported box
- more dynamat then you can carry

On top of the equipment you need to remove all of the bose equipment, make your own mounting system for the speakers/tweaters, run your own wiring, make you own stereo harness ( due to the power cut out problem ), and build a place to mount your amps. I can be done, but it is a difficult install even for me and I am a certified installer. Be ready to sink time and money into this and if you need help, pm me.

RedGalant2k1
09-04-06, 11:05 AM
No comparison aftermarket always is better than factory. If you want to spend the money I can help build you a system that will embarass any factory system.

willywonka00
09-10-06, 04:43 AM
i have been looking all over for a post for installion of my subs ,.....the rca for my 1997 sts and the search engine sucks ...to broad