: Driver side rear / interior sail panel

jdodman
08-24-06, 02:59 PM
The sail panel behind the rear seat passenger (drivers side) fell out the other day (WTF ?) It looks like a clip behind the air bag broke. I am hesitant to mess with it since it may deploy the air bag. I stuck it back up and tucked one side back behind the rear door weather stripping. Seems to hold until I open the windows. This is a 2004. Did a search and did not see anything.
Anyone else get this ??

NIK
08-24-06, 03:05 PM
The sail panel behind the rear seat passenger (drivers side) fell out the other day (WTF ?) It looks like a clip behind the air bag broke. I am hesitant to mess with it since it may deploy the air bag. I stuck it back up and tucked one side back behind the rear door weather stripping. Seems to hold until I open the windows. This is a 2004. Did a search and did not see anything.
Anyone else get this ??

Very common problem - take to dealer (warranty item) and they will order and replace with new & improved sail panels. My dealer ordered new ones for me without even looking at the old ones.

Holmes815
08-24-06, 03:47 PM
Poorly Designed parts- the piece that breaks is mean't to break away on purpose but is too weak for regular driving conditions with the windows down. You can definitely go to dealer as many have done; I cut a piece of metal in the shape of where the clip goes and epoxied it into the plastic. I feel like mine is pretty sturdy and they definitely will still break under airbag deployment since there is still plastic there. I bet you broke yours with the windows down doin at least 90, right???:thumbsup:

James

jdodman
08-24-06, 04:00 PM
Oddly enough, I recently did run across a BMW M5 on the PA Turnpike, where some spirited driving did occur with the windows down. I was somewhere north of 90 when we really got going, but would not want to venture a guess exactly where, at least not on the internet.

It was just after that incident, I noticed the sail panel was dangeling. To be honest, I did not put that together until your post. Oh well.. Don't tell my wife but her little dog happened to be in the car for the event, and I remember his coat looked like he stuck his paw in an electrical socket when I finally slowed down.

As always, thanks guys. I called the dealer and they took my vin over the phone and ordered the parts...They seemed to know of the situation.

There goes my velcro solution..

1QUICKV
08-24-06, 05:04 PM
both of mine feel down, but i fix it. behine the abs plastic clip is a 7mm bolt and the plactic broke.... so i filled where it broke with a special body shop filler and replace them... good to hear that because i was thinking that the owner before me had got in to a crash and the air bags broke it.....

diverdan
08-25-06, 01:03 AM
I was reinstalling my sail panels after putting a Sirius receiver and found that the plastic clip on the driver's door panel looked like it was disintegrating. There was enough of a lip to enable me to snug it down, but I can see that I will be needing to replace it sooner or later. It's good to know this is a documented issue.

Flyboy
08-25-06, 06:22 AM
I think every CTS-V has had them replaced under warranty...I did also.

RobertCTS
08-25-06, 07:57 AM
FYI, over in the CTS Forum a number of guys have had the same problem. One of the causes is driving with the windows down at higher speed. The wind will often pop them loose or break.:mad:

ctsvett
08-26-06, 02:10 AM
they are made to break away because there are air bags under there... someone didnt think through the "windows down" scenario however...

Known issue... The dealers can fix it without getting new ones, btw... There is a plastic adhesive and clip that can be used. Now its sturdier than before for me (and I dont sit in the back).

Reed

Allen Martin
06-27-14, 01:12 PM
Just fixed mine with a large flat, panel washer I bummed from an engineer in my building, you can get them singly at Lowes. I pulled off the Air Bag badge, mine came off easily and seemingly intact. I used a long (18") socket extension with a 7mm socket to remove the bolt. I dropped my bolt but it got hung up in the panel and was easy to retrieve. Use caution when handling this bolt, mine had black sticky crap on it so I had to be careful not to get that on my tan fabric. I pulled the sail panel out a bit and fed the socket extension through the hole left by the Air Bag badge. I carefully positioned the 7mm bolt with the washer in the appropriate position and screwed it back into place, using caution when it became snug, I didn't want to over tighten and break what I just fixed. I popped the Air Bag badge back into place and my panel looks great. I feel confident that the air bag will still deploy properly, I just hope I never find out. I literally fixed it 15 minutes ago, during lunch at work, so I haven't driven at high speeds with the windows down or anything but it feels pretty snug, we'll see what happens. I called my dealership to see about a warranty replacement but, with my car being 9 years old, I was out of luck. I called a couple of salvage yards but had no luck there either. I've had my 05 CTS for 2 years and just put up with that stupid thing hanging down. Thanks for the inspiration to really look at it and formulate a solution. Hope this helps someone else and gives them the same sense of satisfaction that I now have. I also changed my spark plugs last night, wow what a difference, but that's another thread.