: Shop Manual DVD Giveaway

netager
08-24-06, 02:50 PM
I've got a DVD from eBay that covers all vehicles made by GM from 1996 to 2004 I think. There is some info on earlier models but just bulletins, not the repair info. It includes 97-01 Catera shop manuals, too The only cons: it takes 10Gb on HDD after install - you can't choose what models you need - everything or nothing.

Here is the deal:

I'll make 5 copies. I ship them to active members who were around for a while and have some posts behind. Preferably, who has access to DVD burners and know how to copy regular Data DVD. When you receive DVD from me you make 5 copies, post in this topic: "I've got 5 copies ready. My e-mail is bla-bla-bla@bla-bla-bla.com. Send me you requests." You ship 5 copies to those who requested Keep it running this way and in a month all members will have a shop manual

If you don't know how, I can explain to those who will have copies how to convert separate pages to PDF and publish here as an attachment to your message or upload to your hosting if you have one. Virtual PDF Printer software that is free - PrimoPDF (http://www.primopdf.com/downloads/freeprimopdfsetup.exe) - works awesome...

You can send your requests with your mailing address to catera@computersxp.com

netager
08-24-06, 02:51 PM
todd2fst4u, DVD shipped. :)

CadillacSTS42005
08-24-06, 03:05 PM
dude count me in ive got plenty of space on my new lappy and got all the abilities and posts to back up my help

netager
08-24-06, 03:28 PM
Email me your mailing address ;)

CadillacSTS42005
08-25-06, 07:37 PM
email sent!

netager
08-26-06, 03:19 PM
CadillacETC1997, DVD shipped. :)

CadillacSTS42005
08-26-06, 03:26 PM
muchas gracias!

andergar
08-28-06, 10:58 AM
How much would you charge to make one and mail it to me?

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

netager
08-28-06, 05:36 PM
It is not for sale :) Just wait few days when somebody will make copies.

todd2fst4u
08-28-06, 10:16 PM
allright if someone needs one, send me a private message.

andergar
08-28-06, 10:58 PM
todd2fst4u (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=44165) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_789940", true);
Cadillac Forum Member

Cadillac(s): 1998 Catera

I wish I could do a private message to you todd2fst4u. I'm not a supported member. Can I send you an email instead?

Many thanks,
andergar

andergar@comcast.net

CadillacSTS42005
08-28-06, 11:28 PM
you cant select just one make and model its all or none and you must then forward it to other ppl its the rules...

todd2fst4u
08-29-06, 01:21 AM
JefferyG please email me. appearently i need 50 posts to send a pm.....?
todd2fst4u@gmail.com send me your shipping address and i will send you a copy.

Warez
08-29-06, 03:38 AM
I'm interested and have a DVD burner.

andergar
08-29-06, 05:29 PM
todd2fst4u, I can't private message you. Can you email me your email address.

Thanks,
andergar

andergar@comcast.net

netager
08-29-06, 07:12 PM
Elo, DVD sent.
iconnu(?), DVD sent to Canada by Airmail.
He promised to take care of those who are in Canada.

todd2fst4u
08-29-06, 07:20 PM
todd2fst4u, I can't private message you. Can you email me your email address.

Thanks,
andergar

andergar@comcast.net

i've actually sent all my 5 out now. you'll have to find someone else.

netager
08-29-06, 07:26 PM
That wa quick :) I sent 4 out. Waiting for the 5th address. CadillacETC1997 is getting his copy soon.

todd2fst4u
08-29-06, 07:28 PM
That wa quick :) I sent 4 out. Waiting for the 5th address. CadillacETC1997 is getting his copy soon.
andergar needs one. his email is andergar@comcast.net

netager
08-29-06, 07:36 PM
I meant I've got request already, just waiting for address. CadillacETC1997 might help him.

netager
08-29-06, 08:05 PM
I don't accept any new request anymore. There should be at least 10 DVDs out.

CadillacSTS42005
08-29-06, 10:06 PM
got mine today and omg dude totally awesome! now how do i start making copys sorry idk how to make dvd to dvd copies...?

andergar
08-29-06, 10:08 PM
So am I out of luck on this? I'm willing to pay. Can anyone help me.

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

CadillacSTS42005
08-29-06, 10:55 PM
soon as i figure out how to copy it ill send man relax lol

netager
08-30-06, 12:43 AM
andergar, if you are willing to pay you can buy it on eBay - otherwise - patience.

CadillacETC1997, pretty much as CD to CD copies :) What software you use? Email me if you have q's.

andergar
08-30-06, 03:08 PM
Sorry for being a bug Netager. I emailed you my address. Many thanks.
Andergar

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 06:18 PM
thats just it i have a lap top when i copy music and stuff i just dl it to it and burn a new one, i dont have a desktop with dual decks to burn right off the dvd. hence why im asking what i need to burn to the dvd. just the SI_Data folder which was dled to my destop to get the program? or more?

todd2fst4u
08-30-06, 07:22 PM
download alcohol 120% and make an iso. then burn the iso
Alcohol Soft trial version download (http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/)

CadillacSTS42005
08-30-06, 09:15 PM
iso...
sry i have no idea man lol

todd2fst4u
08-31-06, 12:08 AM
download and install alcohol 120%. insert the dvd into your computer. click on "image making wizard". after you made the image. click on "image burning wizard". thats pretty much it.

netager
08-31-06, 10:14 AM
todd2fst4u, good advice - I use Alcohol 120%, too but it's not free.
CadillacETC1997, Download this (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/deepburner.html) one or this (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdburnerxp.html) one - whatever you like more.

I'm not sure but I think both of those softwares don't have one click copy function.

You do this - put the original DVD in the DVD-ROM, start the software, choose to create the image, save image somewhere on your hard drive, take the original DVD out and put the blank one in, choose burn image, browse to find it on your hard drive where you saved it, wait, pack and ship :)

CadillacSTS42005
08-31-06, 12:43 PM
shall try that 2night thanks alot!

sirmqc
09-06-06, 08:33 PM
CadillacETC1997, any luck. I've been away from this forum for a few weeks. I'd love to get in on this. I have done lots of DVD burning, let me know if you still need help - and of course if you're still taking requests :bigroll:

CadillacSTS42005
09-06-06, 08:57 PM
so far my copys havent been working.
im gonna take it to school and use one of the dual modem computers when i get some time. 1st week back im sorta pressed

loomer_52
09-06-06, 09:30 PM
I need a copy . Im new here but thats only cause i just found you guys !! am boy am i happy to have found these forums. Looks very informative ( i own a 98 catera)

I live in Texas and have no problem mailing out some copies

loomer.52@gmail.com

edit*

no torrent for this kind of thing ??

ewill3rd
09-07-06, 09:56 PM
If that is the GM SI DVD I have a few things I'd like to mention, take them for what they are worth.

I happen to know the guy who writes the program and organizes the data for that DVD, those DVDs are the property of GM and the dealer they sent them to. Just because you "bought it on ebay" doesn't mean it was a legal transaction and in fact those discs are provided to the dealer and the dealer cannot sell them when they are outdated.
It is illegal to make copies, even to give away so do so at your own risk.

Not trying to be a wet rag, I just think it's unwise to advertise.

I used to pirate lots of software but I gave it up a few years back for many reasons.

I'd recommend for those of you who want copies to start using your PM feature before you all get in trouble.

Thanks for listening.

guardian
09-07-06, 10:36 PM
If that is the GM SI DVD I have a few things I'd like to mention, take them for what they are worth.

I happen to know the guy who writes the program and organizes the data for that DVD, those DVDs are the property of GM and the dealer they sent them to. Just because you "bought it on ebay" doesn't mean it was a legal transaction and in fact those discs are provided to the dealer and the dealer cannot sell them when they are outdated.
It is illegal to make copies, even to give away so do so at your own risk.

Not trying to be a wet rag, I just think it's unwise to advertise.

I used to pirate lots of software but I gave it up a few years back for many reasons.

I'd recommend for those of you who want copies to start using your PM feature before you all get in trouble.

Thanks for listening.

I'm not sure it is the DVD you have concern it might be. The "official" DVDs I've seen, from automobile manufacturers, come with a special floppy disk. This is because DVDs themselves are read-only.

The floppy, which is writable, acts as a key, allowing the DVD owner to install the DVD contents onto his computer one and only one time. The process of that installation destroys the floppy key. You can copy the DVD all you want in this situation, but without a virgin floppy key the DVD data cannot be accessed or used.

The fellows on this thread have made no mention of a floppy or a key of any sort. They seem to be sharing a DVD which can be freely copied and used straightaway. That's why I think it might not be an official GM factory DVD, as you fear, with the attendant copy risks and law breaking potential.

Also let's be candid:

Some Catera problems are so ingrained and so ubiquitous that there is constant net chatter about class action lawsuits against GM. GM has authorized only one recall on the Cat when several easily were in order and justified. In short, GM has been about as tightfisted as they could be in what is often a very difficult service situation for Cat owners.

In addition, Cadillac dealers have milked Cat weaknesses for all they are worth. Catera repair bills are often sky high for owners unable to fix their own cars. Frequently the items being repaired exist as a result of design weakness.

In light of these facts, I think GM and Cadillac should be pleased these young fellows are solving their own problems in a creative and sharing way. This entire data sharing enterprise is costing GM a whale of a lot less than the class action lawsuit they probably deserve.:want:

JMHO, of course.:stirpot::)

09-08-06, 05:53 PM
Where are we on this? Does anyone have copies to send out? I can continue the chain.
Thanks

ewill3rd
09-08-06, 07:25 PM
I have copies of the DVD, there is no "key" to unlock it, you just install the DVD in a drive and it runs off the DVD itself. There is no installation program it just runs in a java environment.

I am not trying to be preachy or right, just offering a word of caution to some possible copyright infringement. I'd actually hope I am mistaken but what if I am right?

As an employee of a Cadillac Dealership, I am not aware of any standing policy to "gouge" catera customers.
The cars were designed and built by Opel of Europe and imported with a Cadillac name badge on them.
Prices are high on Catera repairs because of all the taxes and tariffs on imported parts from the real carmaker not because of some evil plot to take money out of Catera owner's pockets. As an example, the EBCM for most vehicles is in the 400 to 700 dollar range, while the one for the Catera is almost $1,300!

Service manual sets are readily available for purchase from Helm Inc. Via Helm Incorporated-Home (http://www.helm.com) and they are the same manuals we use in the shop.
I fully believe in DIY, and helping people out, that's why I am here, taking money out of my own pocket at times I might add, to help people out, not gouge them unecessarily.
I don't even have a problem with the sharing of information, but there are copyright laws in our nation that was founded on laws and I was simply offering some advice that if people want to do this it should be privately and not with a big red flag waving out in the open to draw attention to individuals who might be getting themselves in trouble.

From my experience, I can tell you that GM takes copyright infringement of it's Service Information seriously and since we have a pretty good inkling that people from GM visit this forum wouldn't it be prudent to proceed with caution?

I am not calling anyone names, not accusing anyone, just trying to help some folks stay out of some possibly serious trouble.
If coming to this forum and helping people on my own time and offering advice is such a horrible thing... then I guess I am just confused.

Caddyshack100
09-08-06, 07:35 PM
You are so right Ewill, when I bought my copy from the Internet, not ebay, they sure represented it as a GM licenced product. To tell the truth, I really did not know what a goldmine it was. Other than putting some of the pages on the forums, nobody else has been given a copy, and for the above reasons that you mentioned. I know that HELM for one would be really annoyed because As you are well aware, you have every single shop manual made from 98 to 2006, that would put them right out of business, at least for GM models.