: Grinding / rubbing noise from rear end

davedogcaddy
08-24-06, 07:40 AM
Hey Guys!

Latley I've noticed a faint grinding / rubbing noise that seems to be coming from the rear end of my SRX when I make slow sharp turns. It's so faint that I though I might me making it up until my wife said something about it when we were out last night. With the radio on you can't even hear it. Any thoughts? It's still under warranty of course, I just hate going to the dealer :thepan:

Oh and it doesn't happen all the time.

Smokin' SRX
08-24-06, 09:50 AM
Hey Guys!

Latley I've noticed a faint grinding / rubbing noise that seems to be coming from the rear end of my SRX when I make slow sharp turns. It's so faint that I though I might me making it up until my wife said something about it when we were out last night. With the radio on you can't even hear it. Any thoughts? It's still under warranty of course, I just hate going to the dealer :thepan:

Oh and it doesn't happen all the time.

HI! Has the dealer or anyone ROTATED the tires??? My dealer tried to do it, but when I pointed out the size difference (front VS rear), he then said, OK, we'll just balance!!
Who knows if they would have done it? Tires might rub!! ??????????

19 K miles, on my AWD V-8 and oil leak/worn front tires my only real problems! But I did have the tranny "re-flash" done (to eliminate driveline clunk!) and no noticeable power loss or anything! Now I need front tires already (19K miles).

Honestly, I run them low on air (29-30 cold) because I find the Mag ride too harsh (but love the handling!) That wears them out quick if you 'corner' like I do!! Had a GTP Supercharged Grand Prix with same front tire wearing......same cause!!!

I should have had a front wheel ALIGNMENT done every 10K cause REAR tires are wearing great!!!
good luck!:)

Zig
08-24-06, 10:51 AM
Dave,

Do you notice it more when you're on the brakes? Mine started making that noise last week after I trailered my boat down to SC for vacation, and it's been doing it ever since. I've got three or four small problems to take it in to the dealer for, so hopefully I'll be able to get that looked at, too.

MortnCyn
08-25-06, 07:30 AM
Wheel bearing? See johnd's SRX Sings To Me.

xlrguy
08-27-06, 07:26 AM
DaveDogCaddy:

If you have the V-8 then you have the Performance Package as standard (optional on V-6) which includes a limited slip differential. These differentials are prone to this kind of problem. My XLR is going in Monday for that very problem where they will flush the differential and then add a special synthetic high weight lube to see if that solves the problem. I hope we don't encounter that with my wife's SRX, but it has the potential to occur with it also. There is a Caddy service bulletin out for this on my XLR, but I have not checked on the SRX yet.

syrob@MSN.COM
08-27-06, 09:33 AM
DaveDogCaddy:

If you have the V-8 then you have the Performance Package as standard (optional on V-6) which includes a limited slip differential. These differentials are prone to this kind of problem. My XLR is going in Monday for that very problem where they will flush the differential and then add a special synthetic high weight lube to see if that solves the problem. I hope we don't encounter that with my wife's SRX, but it has the potential to occur with it also. There is a Caddy service bulletin out for this on my XLR, but I have not checked on the SRX yet.

If AWD NO slimted slip rear end, (V8 or V6)...

SYROB

davedogcaddy
08-28-06, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the posts! It's a V6 and it only happens when I am turning very sharp, going very slow. Haven't had time to get it checked out yet....

davedogcaddy
09-05-06, 11:38 AM
Alrighty guys, took it in to the local caddy dealer this morning. Took the service manager for a ride, he said it is the rear differential making the noise, and that is a fairly common problem with the SRXs. Infact there is another SRX in line in front of mine with the same problem! He said they will have to replace the rear differential. Glad this happened under warranty. He said they will order it today and it will take about three days to get here, then only a day to put it in. I'll keep you guys posted.

-dave

davedogcaddy
09-08-06, 12:04 PM
Alrighty guys, took it in to the local caddy dealer this morning. Took the service manager for a ride, he said it is the rear differential making the noise, and that is a fairly common problem with the SRXs. Infact there is another SRX in line in front of mine with the same problem! He said they will have to replace the rear differential. Glad this happened under warranty. He said they will order it today and it will take about three days to get here, then only a day to put it in. I'll keep you guys posted.

-dave

OK, this is great - I hadn't heard anything after 3 days so I call to get a status on the rear differential they were ordering for me. Turns out GM is telling them they are on a "National Backorder" and they have no idea when the part will arrive. They told be it's safe to drive the SRX though, and that they've never actually seen the rear diff do any thing else other than make a little noise. So who knows when my new (hopefully) quiet rear diff will be here!!>! :confused:

john d
09-08-06, 12:36 PM
Anyone know what "National Backorder" means?
How does that differ from "out of stock", "it's a special order item", "it comes from our regional parts depot", "it's on backorder" or any other term meaning your SOL until we start manufacturing them again.
How can the assembly line produce if there are no rear ends?

syrob@MSN.COM
09-08-06, 02:01 PM
Anyone know what "National Backorder" means?
How does that differ from "out of stock", "it's a special order item", "it comes from our regional parts depot", "it's on backorder" or any other term meaning your SOL until we start manufacturing them again.
How can the assembly line produce if there are no rear ends?
Think it means we will use all to make new SRX untill we have more than needed for new cars, then we will divert to repair etc. Not sure though...
SYROB

xlrguy
09-08-06, 07:46 PM
I am surprised that they are replacing your entire differential. As I posted earlier they were to flush and refill my XLR with new oil and add an additive. I also was concerned with my wife's SRX and they did the exact same thing to her SRX. My noise and grinding was eliminated, and my wife never had any symptoms, but the dealer did the same procedure on hers. In summary, we are back with no problems on either vehicle.

john d
09-08-06, 09:40 PM
I am surprised that they are replacing your entire differential. As I posted earlier they were to flush and refill my XLR with new oil and add an additive. I also was concerned with my wife's SRX and they did the exact same thing to her SRX. My noise and grinding was eliminated, and my wife never had any symptoms, but the dealer did the same procedure on hers. In summary, we are back with no problems on either vehicle.
In the 1970's I recall hearing that some shrewd gravel lot used car dealers would stuff the rear end and/or standard tranny's with a few bananna peels or some sawdust to quite the gear noise.
Bet GM wouldn't do anything like that ....
What additive?

c5 rv
09-09-06, 05:22 AM
What additive?

GM limited slip additive quiets down the diff.

Kauai 1
09-12-06, 01:08 PM
My rear differential was replaced once, and now the replacement is starting to whine. It is slowly getting worse, but not yet a howl. I will wait to have it replaced again in the hope that GM finally gets it right!
I do not believe that the '04 RWD V-8 had a limited-slip dif; does anyone know for sure? Using a GM additive for limited-slip difs may not be the answer for standard difs; are the fluids compatible? And, in my estimation, an additive is not the solution to a faulty component.

robhersch
09-13-06, 01:49 PM
My 2005 N*V8 RWD was a special order in Nov 2004; at that time, I believe the limited-slip diff was an extra option - not standard. The on-line distribution guide (Week of 10/25/04, mechanical section (G80), footnotes 1&2) added LSD as an "available option" for 6EB26 V6 / 6ED26 V8 models which "requires M82 / M22 transmission, 5 spd auto, (RWD)". The LSD was not even listed on my order form or my window sticker, so I believe LSD is not on my 05 SRX V8 (build date mid Dec 2004).
I recall that the LSD was later listed as "standard" on (all ??) 2006 RWD V8s.

robhersch
09-13-06, 01:55 PM
My 2005 N*V8 RWD was a special order in Nov 2004; at that time, I believe the limited-slip diff was an extra option - not standard. The on-line distribution guide (Week of 10/25/04, mechanical section (G80), footnotes 1&2) added LSD as an "available option" for 6EB26 V6 / 6ED26 V8 models which "requires M82 / M22 transmission, 5 spd auto, (RWD)". The LSD was not even listed on my order form or my window sticker, so I believe LSD is not on my 05 SRX V8 (build date mid Dec 2004).
I recall that the LSD was later listed as "standard" on (all ??) 2006 RWD V8s.

05SRXV6
09-14-06, 11:57 AM
My SRX is at the dealer now getting its Stability Module or something replaced. "Service Stability System and Service Brake Assist" Messages, as well as the Brake, Traction, and ABS lights on in the cluster. Also rear wiper washer fixed.

I mentioned the rear end whine (only on throttle at 30-40 mph). They checked it, noticed the noise (very faint), called in an "Area Service Rep" and now they are going to replace the whole differential under warranty. The dealer said they will call me when it arrives. I won't hold my breath for it coming soon according to this national backorder posted above. The SRX drives fine, just that very faint whine (radio drowns it out easily)

2004 SRX w/25,xxx miles. First problems -Still love it.:worship:

resqchick
09-14-06, 08:05 PM
I can't believe the coincidence! Just this morn I was pulling out of the parking lot at work and all of a sudden the whole car started shuddering - and it was something you DEFINITELY notice. It scared the crap out of me! I wasn't even going 25 mph - I stoppped the car, put the gas on and tried to pull out - again the shuddering. This time I noticed the "Stability System Engaged" notice! What the!! It wasn't even raining! I turned the Traction Control off (as per the manual to disengage the Stabilitrak system) and you guessed it...it happened again! This time the "Service Stability System" notice came on.

I have an 05 N*V8 RWD (just bought it less than 2 weeks ago from the "3rd largest/most successful dealership in the country!") I managed to get the car home without anymore problems and unfortunately I have to drive 150 miles to get to the dealership. I'm taking the car in first thing next week - I'll let you know what they tell me.

05SRXV6 - I noticed you're in FL too, any chance you're dealer is Williamson in Miami?

john d
09-14-06, 09:11 PM
I can't believe the coincidence! Just this morn I was pulling out of the parking lot at work and all of a sudden the whole car started shuddering - and it was something you DEFINITELY notice. It scared the crap out of me! I wasn't even going 25 mph - I stoppped the car, put the gas on and tried to pull out - again the shuddering. This time I noticed the "Stability System Engaged" notice! What the!! It wasn't even raining! I turned the Traction Control off (as per the manual to disengage the Stabilitrak system) and you guessed it...it happened again! This time the "Service Stability System" notice came on.

I have an 05 N*V8 RWD (just bought it less than 2 weeks ago from the "3rd largest/most successful dealership in the country!") I managed to get the car home without anymore problems and unfortunately I have to drive 150 miles to get to the dealership. I'm taking the car in first thing next week - I'll let you know what they tell me.

05SRXV6 - I noticed you're in FL too, any chance you're dealer is Williamson in Miami?
Sounds "unsafe at any speed" to quote Ralph Nader on the Corvair. Dangerous for you and damaging to the car.
Call the dealer, they should winch it to on a flatbed and pick up the tab.

davedogcaddy
09-15-06, 09:51 AM
still no word from the dealership. you'd think that since this has been happening to a lot of people, for a long time, that'd they stock up on the part! I may have to give cadillac a call and express my concerns. Still LOVE this SRX though.

davedogcaddy
09-27-06, 11:20 AM
dealership called yesterday to say that the new rear diff has arrived. Brought in the SRX this morning and left it. They said they should have it ready by tomorrow, that the'd need to do alot of test driving to make sure its right (originally said it would be done in one day). They gave me a black 2007 CTS as a loner. Tried to talk them into letting me take the XLR beside it but they wouldn't have it! :bigroll: The black CTS is so dirty it's gonna take alot for me not wash the thing tonight. :) Man that thing sure is peppy though, I looked and it only has the 2.8 where my SRX has the 3.6!

Anyway, cool little car, but can't wait to get my pretty red SRX back.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Edavedogcaddy/cadillac_SRX/index_files/2005_SRX.jpg

missued
05-07-13, 08:32 PM
I had the same problem It was the differential and a racking pinion. The SRX series looks nice ascetically but it is of low build quality. You should get rid of it until as it is going to become expensive to maintain
out of warrantee. Im not sure GM understands that stablitrak is not a replacement for a good diff. I often
Feel that GM tried to make something that is like a car and an SUV with out reinforcing the parts

Stillrollin
05-07-13, 10:41 PM
?????????
WTF are you trying to say, missued????
EVERYBODY knows that stabilitrak is an alternative for the dimmer switch.:suspense: