: MAP sensor

gorky
02-14-04, 06:14 PM
hello,

does anyone have a picture of where the MAP sensor goes and what it looks like in a 1995 Northstar engine?

i'm doing a conversion and the PCM is puking at what it thinks is a missing MAP signal.

Also, I have a manual but for the life of me i can't find what the SO30 and SO62 codes mean? I know that the Pxxx codes are for the PCM but what are the SOxxx codes related to?

thanks in advance,
gorky

caddydaddy
02-14-04, 07:34 PM
I'm sure it's the same on all Northstars, it's under or right near the throttle body.

does anyone have a picture of where the MAP sensor goes and what it looks like in a 1995 Northstar engine?

gorky
02-14-04, 09:14 PM
On my original '94 the MAP sensor was a big rectangular box about 3 x1 inches and .5 inches high with a 3 wire interface and it was in the upper manifold.

I have no idea where the 95 sensor is, or what it looks like.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it a much smaller sensor with only a 2 wire interface. If so, I think I'm S.O.L.

anyway, does anyone know what the S030 and S062 codes mean? and where might I find the description in the manual?

thanks again,
gorky

gorky
02-14-04, 10:15 PM
oops,

i think those codes are model and year specific.

i have a '94 Seville SLS.

BeelzeBob
02-14-04, 10:54 PM
The MAP sensor is smaller and is mounted directly to the intake manifold just beside the throttle body. It still has 3 wires and should interchange with the 93/94 MAP sensor in terms of function and installation.... If the PCM is not seeing the MAP sensor then you must have it hooked up to the wrong thing....

S030.....speed sensitive steering solenoid short/open circuit

S062.....LR position sensor fault

gorky
02-15-04, 03:21 AM
thanks guys,

i had just this minute found the Sxxx codes myself in the manual. who would have guessed steering and suspension error codes when all we did was swap engines. anyway, we must have pinched some wires.

i will have to track down a '95 manual and try to find out how the wires got miss-matched.

thanks again,
gorky

ps. it looks like the '95 intake and top end that i bought also includes the MAF sensor that the '94 PCM does not use. I assume that it's o.k. to just tape it with electrical tape and leave it dangling?

BeelzeBob
02-16-04, 12:04 PM
thanks guys,

i had just this minute found the Sxxx codes myself in the manual. who would have guessed steering and suspension error codes when all we did was swap engines. anyway, we must have pinched some wires.

i will have to track down a '95 manual and try to find out how the wires got miss-matched.

thanks again,
gorky

ps. it looks like the '95 intake and top end that i bought also includes the MAF sensor that the '94 PCM does not use. I assume that it's o.k. to just tape it with electrical tape and leave it dangling?

If the system has a MAF then it is NOT a 95....must be a 96 or later. 95 Northstars were still speed density with NO MAF sensor.....

gorky
02-28-04, 08:51 PM
MAP sensor issue cleared up. ended up having to splice cable to mimic the functions of a '94 harness.

But still getting that SO30 error, referring to the Speed Sensitive Steering Solenoid.

Does anyone know where that solenoid is located?

Also looking around the engine i noticed that one of the vacuum lines is routed to a solenoid looking device that has a two wire electrical connection. It has the one vacuum line coming in, and a second air line (labeled CAN at the air nipple) that appears to be routed to the EVAP cannister at the rear of the car. My question is : where is that part supposed to be mounted? it was just laying between the intake manifold and rear cylinder head, not fastened down.

The factory manual for my '94 Seville is truly lacking in detailed information. Or it's just extremely difficult to find (poorly indexed)

thanks,
Gorky

BeelzeBob
02-28-04, 09:01 PM
That is the solenoid that controls the purging of the evaporative emissions canister...it mounts on the right hand cam cover per my memory....

gorky
02-29-04, 02:46 PM
thanks,

how about the location of the speed sensitive steering solenoid?

ectfranks
10-13-04, 04:03 PM
The speed sensitive solinoid is mounted on the Rack & pinion of the car on the drivers side. Check to see if any of the 2 wires going to the solinoid melted on the manifold. I hope this helps.