: Check Engine Light On

geode
08-23-06, 08:42 PM
I'm sure that this question has already been asked but... I have an '01 Cat w/ 59,000 miles. About 500 miles ago my check engine light went on. I know that these lights tend to go on for insignificant reasons but I want to make sure that I shouldn't get it checked out by the dealership in case it's a symptom of a larger issue. The car seems to be running perfectly. I'm trying to avoid paying the $100 deductible with the extended GM service plan if I can help it. Thanks.

Dovan
08-24-06, 12:56 AM
Have you been filling up on cheap gas? Many tend to when prices start to go up... but when you skimp on the cheaper gas, the light tends to come on. Fill up with better gas and I won't be surprised if that light pops right off.

geode
08-24-06, 11:30 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I have been putting in mid-grade gas for over a year (at various gas stations (i.e. shell, exxon, mobile, lukoil, etc.). I understand that, although premium is recommended, it isn't required - yes? Also, any suggestions on which brand of gas is best for your Cat?

Dovan
08-24-06, 07:59 PM
I used mid-grade for the longest time and had that damn light on... then someone on the forums suggested stepping up. Kicked my light off for good.

Personally, I use 93 grade from Gas America (it's next to my house). Other than that, it's BP.