: "Popping" out of gear at low speed

G--
08-23-06, 09:33 PM
So I am the first to admit that this is simply driver error or lazyness, but for the second time this week driving in morning traffic I've eased on the throttle while the car was in first and it popped out of first gear. My initial thought is that I never really had the car all the way in first, just close enough to feel like it's in first, but then the car gets moving it pops out since it's not all the way in gear. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, was it just simply not ensuring the car in all the way in gear?
My thought is that it's that simple...
Thanks in advance.

DILLIGAF
08-23-06, 09:57 PM
Could be a bad syncro's.That has never happened to me in this car.You're headed to the dealer.Sorry

HushH
08-23-06, 10:20 PM
It's happened to me a few times as well. I wrote it off to the same thing, not having it completely in gear to begin with. I plan on getting an aftermarket shifter soon, so I'm going to wait and see how it does after that. If there's still problems then it's headed to the dealer. Of course at that point they'll probably blame it on the aftermarket shifter.

G--
08-23-06, 10:32 PM
HushH - has it happened to you with any regularity? It hasn't for me, so I was thinking I was just getting lazy about making sure it was all the way in gear, especially b/c I can't duplicate it. It only happened 2x, but both this week.
A dealer visit may be in my future based on rp64ctsv's thoughts...

Florian
08-23-06, 11:03 PM
Happens to me occasionally, just a matter of not stuffin it in gear all the way (lazy on my part).

F

DILLIGAF
08-23-06, 11:13 PM
Happens to me occasionally, just a matter of not stuffin it in gear all the way (lazy on my part).

FHe means gear not Rear F:highfive:

Florian
08-23-06, 11:21 PM
He means gear not Rear F:highfive:

My rear is bad too, squeals and leaks! :thumbsup: :thehand:

F

HushH
08-23-06, 11:45 PM
You guys kill me. G--, no there's no consistency to it. Just happens every once in a while. I'm pretty sure I'm being lazy on shifting and I'm probably not fully engaging the clutch at times as well.

DILLIGAF
08-23-06, 11:54 PM
CTS-CTS-V FAQ: Mallet/UUC Shifter Installation procedure (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/mshifter/index.html)

Look this stuff over,some guys have removed some of the foam to make the shifter engage better.

1QUICKV
08-24-06, 01:14 AM
My reverse pops out all the time due to me having to be lazy in the past, its amatter of putting it in all the way, until you feel it. but it will still come out if you get on it.
---i believe there is nothing anybody can do but to replace the trans. no shifter kit will help....
---let us know what the dealer is going to do about your trans. i want my trans to be replaced because of reverse but i want to use (abuse) it first.

G--
08-24-06, 08:22 AM
Thanks Guys...I don't think I'll go to the dealer just yet, I'll see how it goes over the next week or two, and make an effort not to be lazy and see how it goes...

urbanski
08-24-06, 08:34 AM
CTS-CTS-V FAQ: Mallet/UUC Shifter Installation procedure (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/mshifter/index.html)

Look this stuff over,some guys have removed some of the foam to make the shifter engage better.

yep
welcome to the world of your stock shifter

diverdan
08-24-06, 01:05 PM
This is my third LS motor with the T-56 transmission and they have all done it at least once. It hasn't happened on the V since I got the UUC shifter, however. The stock GM shifter does a good job of fooling you into thinking you are all the way in gear when you aren't.

I wouldn't worry unless it happens with regularity and when you are paying attention to ensure that you got it into gear properly.

The Tony Show
08-24-06, 01:33 PM
Mine does it every once in a while when I don't have it all the way in gear. Nothing beats the embarrassed look I give everyone at the gas station when that loud "THWACK!" echoes around as I go to pull off....:hide:

Silver Dollar
08-24-06, 03:01 PM
My rear is bad too, squeals and leaks! :thumbsup: :thehand:

F

Do you feel a banging in your rear? Could be your Tranny.

Vendetta-V-
08-24-06, 04:38 PM
Mine does it every once in a while when I don't have it all the way in gear. Nothing beats the embarrassed look I give everyone at the gas station when that loud "THWACK!" echoes around as I go to pull off....:hide:

You made me spit some coffee...

To the original postie. Don't worry about it. It's only user error. I've done it a couple of times too.

The Tony Show
08-24-06, 04:58 PM

:eek:

Where are you hanging out at night?

:D

P-Funk
08-24-06, 05:11 PM

:eek:

Where are you hanging out at night?

:D

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

G--
08-24-06, 09:31 PM
You made me spit some coffee...

To the original postie. Don't worry about it. It's only user error. I've done it a couple of times too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info...good to know that it's more than likely my own doing...

Florian
08-24-06, 09:49 PM

Yeah, I think thats an issue...typically I lube the rear, then the tranny, then the tranny makes all sorts of noise...maybe I need a new tranny. The old tranny is still around, but with someone else, but if I beg, he/she may come back. Its not so much a banging...more of a pounding....kinda like when you drive a dirt road really fast...:thepan: :eek:

F

mostoyzwinz
08-24-06, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I think thats an issue...typically I lube the rear, then the tranny, then the tranny makes all sorts of noise...maybe I need a new tranny. The old tranny is still around, but with someone else, but if I beg, he/she may come back. Its not so much a banging...more of a pounding....kinda like when you drive a dirt road really fast...:thepan: :eek:

F

:devilheh: Tranny, fanny, or nanny?

Florian
08-24-06, 10:05 PM
:devilheh: Tranny, fanny, or nanny?

Keep up, Most, its a fast game....:rolleyes:

F

DILLIGAF
08-24-06, 10:36 PM
Since this threads about dead,I have never had my car pop out of gear.People bag on the UUC shifter breaking-------well I have not broke my UUC stalk but have destroyed my shifter and linkage.I thought it was just the bushings going bad,nope!Dealer is turning it in as irregular wear(not abuse)he and I know how this happened.LOL,so if your shifter is sloppy as shit,it could be bent linkages and a trashed shifter.And my car still doesn't pop out of gear!!!!!

Silver Dollar
08-25-06, 11:25 AM
OK Florian, lets be serious for a moment. This guy has got serious tranny trouble and we need to help him.

Here's the deal. You've been driving it hard all day and your tranny suddenly gets a mind of it's own and basically says, "hey, it's my turn to drive".

That's when you feel a banging in your rear end.

Thatís when your rear starts leaking.

Then your wife leaves you.

Then your career is in tatters (much like your rear)

Then finally, you find yourself living in a packing crate under the overpass.

I've seen it happen a million times.

keeksv
08-26-06, 08:16 PM
..or "in a trailer, down by the river"

Hey F, sounds like it's time for time for the "pink sock" routine LOL

Florian
08-26-06, 10:06 PM
OK Florian, lets be serious for a moment. This guy has got serious tranny trouble and we need to help him.

Here's the deal. You've been driving it hard all day and your tranny suddenly gets a mind of it's own and basically says, "hey, it's my turn to drive".

That's when you feel a banging in your rear end.

Thatís when your rear starts leaking.

Then your wife leaves you.

Then your career is in tatters (much like your rear)

Then finally, you find yourself living in a packing crate under the overpass.

I've seen it happen a million times.

Would that crate be a fudge crate? hmmm. And Chris Farley as Matt Foley is priceless!

Well done boys! :worship:

F