: Driving Instructions With the new Rear Diff

MN CTS-VETT
08-23-06, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all the support on this site and the GM backing, I was able to get a new (redesigned) rear differential installed. When I originally dropped off the car, my test drive with the service manager went great (he drove):

- thunderous parade clunk when shifting 1st to 2nd
- frightening shotgun 'pops' from the wheel hop kit bushings on shifts (I think he actually ducked once)
- a shrieking whine at 42 mph

Upon exit from the test drive, the manager described the experience to the service writer as "scary.":eek: I was satisfied (to say the least!) - since I knew something needs to be done. :xgrin: (could it be Christmas in August?)

I just got the car back today; what a difference! Feels like a brand new car. All snaps, hums, and pops are gone! They also REMOVED the wheel hop kit (they stated that the new diff resolves this issue (??).

As a result, I have created my list of new driving instructions (to increase the life beyond 21K of last diff). I guess these are my New Diff Resolutions:

1. No more clutch drop/hard starts at 2300 rpms
2. No more 45 mph drops at freeway speeds
3. No more mods (only slightly modded now)
4. No more high rpm/torque shifting

(sounds like I'm literally 'on the wagon')

...... (time passes)

As with all good resolutions; in time, a counterpoint is developed:mob:

After reading all the positive responses on different tires vs. wheel hop I did a bit more research. Talking to a local guy with a supercharged V (with no wheel hop) he told me that the side walls on the run flats are extremely stiff (cornering) - and he can go all day (aggressively) on his Dunlops (no runflats) without wheel hop or rear diff problems. So the tires must be absorbing the side to side movement of the tires.

So basically, I need to get some Bridgestone RE050's and get back into it :thumbsup: Thanks again guys for all your support, I'm back off the wagon!

LV_V
08-23-06, 09:06 PM
1. No more clutch drop/hard starts at 2300 rpms
2. No more 45 mph drops at freeway speeds
3. No more mods (only slightly modded now)
4. No more high rpm/torque shifting

Call me old fashioned, but why own a V!??!? :tisk::thehand:

Robby2006
08-23-06, 09:19 PM
I hope they didnt ding your car again....:stirpot: Was it the same dealer?

Glad to hear that it wasnt to much of a hassle:thumbsup:

Luna.
08-23-06, 09:44 PM
They also REMOVED the wheel hop kit (they stated that the new diff resolves this issue (??).

LOL--what? I've never heard of that, nor do I believe that either.

MN CTS-VETT
08-23-06, 10:42 PM
Call me old fashioned, but why own a V!??!? :tisk::thehand:

I just though I needed some 'break in' time on the new diff. And like all resolutions, this will be broken. Thanks for push over the edge - all I need now is a green light and an SRT8 lined up next to me. Thankfully, my runflats are about 90% gone and the RE050's will be going on next.

I had a great dealer experience (especially the scared service manager), and yes it was a different dealer with initials WM in Roseville. Top notch all the way.

Robby2006
08-23-06, 11:02 PM
scared service manager?!?!!!:rolleyes: I bet with the noise your car was making and the incident that happened at that dealership last week. I bet any popping noise or loud noise has them ducking for cover:eek:

Was this the 06 diff?

I was happy with them so far too. I was just at dealership 2 weeks ago for a broken toe link on the rear. This was the second one, but side are new now.

MN CTS-VETT
08-23-06, 11:14 PM
Was this the 06 diff?

Yes, it is the 2006 rear diff.

LV_V
08-24-06, 03:13 AM
Thanks for push over the edge - all I need now is a green light and an SRT8 lined up next to me.

Ada boy!

Autom8r
08-24-06, 10:31 AM
The Nashville dealer just replaced my '04 diff AND transmission under warranty and I'm ready to go trolling for Bimmers.....

Dave