: Does your V black the oil?

ctsvwannabe
08-23-06, 04:37 PM
To All,

The Mobil1 in my V turns dark in a very short time (<1000 miles). I change the oil religiously at 3000 miles. A lot of low speed, city driving for me. Are others seeing the same thing or is your oil staying clear?

ctsvwannabe

JonCR96Z
08-23-06, 05:04 PM
Black oil just means that its doing its job of breaking down deposits. Also the only real advantage of using synthetic oil is the extended drain intervals. 3000 miles is just wasting oil.

You're part of the reason that oil is so high.:dammit: Quit funding terrorism.:tisk:....

J/K.

Wizzle
08-23-06, 07:31 PM
Mobil 1 has done that on every vehicle I've used it on (which is all of them...:bang2:). It's nothing to be worried about.

CIWS
08-23-06, 08:31 PM
Gets dark.

Also Synth oil like Mobil 1 has higher operating temps than conventional oil(s). I know these days it's not uncommon to see oil temps at 233 just driving home from work.

L.A.P.D.
08-23-06, 09:41 PM
Mobil 1 is darker than conventional oils right out of the bottle, so it gets darker quicker as it isn't bright gold in color. A lot of meticulous owners will change their oil every 3,000 miles, but with Mobil 1 and a good oil filter, you can go longer intervals. It isn't so much the oil that breaks down, but rather the oil filter that can no longer filter oil after awhile. Cheaper quality oil filters should be replaced with premium grade filters if you plan on going 5,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. It really comes down to how you drive the car and what your driving conditions are.

The problem we are having is the engine consuming the oil, not so much the oil getting darker quicker.

Shawn

ChicagoCTS32
08-23-06, 09:44 PM
some of the canister oil filters are only rated for 3-5k miles. You might actually have to change your oil filter before your oil. It's not uncommon to do this with better oils like Mobil 1. Don't be scared ;)

JonCR96Z
08-23-06, 11:57 PM
I'll tell you something that you probably shouldn't try.

My LT1 camaro had about 85,000 thousand miles when I decided to put headers on it while I was at it I changed the oil. I was planning on going with a stroker motor at some point. So I just put off the oil change, hey if it locked up whatever. I was running mobil 1 5w-30. I went to about 120,000 miles before finally deciding to change the oil. Well, it just so happened that the long tube headers that I had put on ran about half of an inch below the oil filter and even though I could get it loose. I couldn't get it out of the hole(I don't know why I never heard of this problem from others). So I said what the hell and just put more oil in and left the filter. I drove it for another 15-16,000 miles before the distributor finally took a crap. Engine ran great otherwise. I will say that it leaked around intake so I had to add a little oil every once in a while, and it was the old formula of Mobil1. Either way I'd say that its some good oil.

I now run amsoil in everything. As the company I work for uses it in all thier fleet vehicles. Amsoil claims their oil will go for 25,000 miles without change, only a filter and a topoff at the 12,500 mark. My company just changes both at 12,500 and we run the shit out them, and we have numerous vehicles with over 300,000 miles. I once drove about 200 miles on the interstate and right near where I was going my oil pressure gauge would drop to nothing and then just come back up llike normal. I assumed it was just broken. Well it start to do it more frequently and I started hearing noises when the guage was down. I pull over and check the oil. Guess what, not even touching the stick. Turns out my vehicle was about 6,000 miles over due for a change. I called in and said I might need a ride back from VA. But I just bought some cheap oil at a gas station and continued on my way. Got back changed the oil and it continues to run just like new.

Synthetic oil can and will go beyond 3000 miles. From my reading on the subject, an oil filter change is way more important than changing the oil.

Jon

50 4Ever
08-24-06, 01:41 PM
Checked mine this morning and its been 7,100+ miles since my last oil change, oil life monitor down to 10%. The oil was not what I would call black, it was a dark golden brown and you could see the hatchmarks on the dipstick thru the oil. The real oil in my 93 Fleetwood is completely black at 3,000 miles, you can't even see thru it.

I run Amsoil in the LS1 in the Corvette and it never turns black either.

:confused: