: GC kit and stock shocks

Seattle CTS-V
08-23-06, 01:32 PM
Has anyone installed the GC coilover setup with the FE4 shocks yet? I just did a track day Monday and the car just needs to be a little tighter in the corners so I don't have to slow down so much. Being a bit lower should help as well. The car was wasting everyone in the straights (thanks Rick!!! the last tune is perfect) but lost most of it when the turns came about. The Hoosier slicks definitely helped a ton over the GSD3's I ran last time but I still only managed 1.08L/1.07R before the car would start to understeer and I'd have to get on-throttle to correct it. Quite a bit of dive when braking made it feel a little unsafe as well. Ideally, I want to do the FG2 and GC setup but the dealership wants $1500 for the FG2's plus $100/hr to install them (estimated at 4 hours). Anybody know where I can get a better deal on the shocks?

Dreamin
08-23-06, 05:22 PM
I'm running FE4's and GC 500/550... and dont have the issues you indicated :hmm: I keep up with cars on the straights... and pass most of them on the turns!

What are your spring rates? How low is your car... could you be riding on the bumpstops? I get 1.27 - 1.28g regularly

Seattle CTS-V
08-23-06, 08:07 PM
My bad! I don't have the GC kit yet. I'm running stock springs and the stock FE4's. I am asking if anyone running the GC kit w/ the FE4's likes them...and apparently you do!

Would you say the ride is a lot stiffer? I honestly don't care if it is as I'd like to maximize handling over comfort...w/o spending $1500+install for the FG2's.

clubho
08-23-06, 09:28 PM
I too would love to hear the answer to this question. I have the same FE4 set up and was thinking about changing the springs. I assume GC is a lowering spring set. Is keeping the FE4 with lowering spring a good option?

VELOSE
08-23-06, 11:29 PM
Duplicate post

VELOSE
08-23-06, 11:36 PM
There's an entire thread of Dreamin's car with a review of the GC kit installed. Search engine is your friend. ;)

BTW, I've rode in his car. The stiffer springs which I think are perfect for the FE4's did very well at the track. On track at Laguna Seca, he was embarrassing some highly modified almost race car 87-93 mustang 5.0's on his GSD3 tires. I wouldn't think twice about getting the GC Kit. I should be getting my kit tomorrow. ;)

MescalVto
08-24-06, 12:31 PM
OK, did the search, read the whole thread w/ Dreamin's comments and want to get my car to handle just like his:thumbsup: ; but have a couple questions for Dreamin about his set-up still:

1) noted that he mentions early on having the WW spacers installed on his rears - Dreamin, do you still have these or were they replaced by the "new" GC top mount for the rear shocks? - wondering if I need WW spacers too or just the GC kit if I aspire for mine to be just like yours.

2) Do you have Hotchkiss sways or anything else that is not stock that would effect handling that I should also add at the same time (other than your different tires/275 rears)?

3) Also, speaking of tires, I assume your wider rears are really just for looks, do you think they give any improvement in handling? - I still have original F1's but they are almost cooked (8K miles)

Dreamin
08-25-06, 12:43 AM
1) Am using WW rear shock spacers... but GC kit comes these spacers, so you dont need WW's spacers

2) I have the Hotchkiss bars... the GC kit works fine with and without them... but the car handles much flatter with the bars

3) 275's are definitely not for looks... they improve rear stick considerably... so much so that I went back to 245's in the rear... I liked to be able to rotate the rear with the 245s... 275s gave a little too much understeer on the track for me...

Dreamin
08-25-06, 12:46 AM
My bad! I don't have the GC kit yet. I'm running stock springs and the stock FE4's. I am asking if anyone running the GC kit w/ the FE4's likes them...and apparently you do!

Would you say the ride is a lot stiffer? I honestly don't care if it is as I'd like to maximize handling over comfort...w/o spending $1500+install for the FG2's.

Ride is not too stiff with FE4's and GC kit running 500/550 springs... ride is just right. I think the FG2's stiffen up the ride more than the GC springs...