: Super Soft Clutch @ WOT

Holmes815
08-23-06, 11:46 AM
I've noticed that when I get on the gas (not even at completely WOT) the clutch gets real mushy; a friend had told me I might need to bleed the slave cylinder. Suggestions/comments???

04CTSVFLA
08-23-06, 01:21 PM
i had that happen after a donut i did, then it just slowly went away after a day or two

jlakowicz
08-23-06, 04:46 PM
I think your clutch is slipping. When it does it get hot and gets mushy, just like overheated break fluids. As it cools it goes back to normal. I had this experience many time with slipping clutches. Changing the fluid won't help with the slipping and I doubt it was hot long enough to mess up the fluid. Its time for a clutch, or be sure you foot in not on it while driving.

atdeneve
08-23-06, 05:41 PM
There's a also a TSB for the pressure plate. As revs build, the clutch will progressively get less firm and seemingly start to fall to the floor (mushy?). You may want to get that checked out, as it certainly does suck. Just watch out if you have this problem. The pedal will pull back up from the floor as the revs fall and when the clutch catches ... not good. A clutch pedal that does as it wishes and not as you wish it to, at least in my book, is just not good.:tisk:

Holmes815
08-23-06, 06:10 PM
I think it could be the pressure plate issue because this has happended after driving easily for less than 10 mins. I mean I can't imagine it being the clutch, only 10K miles and I don't drive too crazy. Would they give me shit at the dealership if I have a UUC, if so I'll wait to put it on.

James

ctsvett
08-23-06, 07:54 PM
you guys talking about this one?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-31-005.pdf

I have been complaining about my clutch pedal forever and it still ain't right... I dont know what it is anymore, but when they bleed it at the dealer, its good for about 2 weeks or until I drive in heavy traffic... Then the pedal gets tough and inaccurate...

I have a new slave cylinder, new pressure plate (at 10K), new resevoir too...

No other V I have driven has been like this.

I'm still stumped, but I need to figure this out because everyone who drives with me thinks I am a bad stick driver (jerky).

thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Reed

P.S. James, I am thinking of a new clutch resevioir cap... price?

Lindsay Cadillac
08-23-06, 08:24 PM
I've noticed that when I get on the gas (not even at completely WOT) the clutch gets real mushy; a friend had told me I might need to bleed the slave cylinder. Suggestions/comments???
Depending on the year of your V I would say from your description that it sounds like the TSB mentioned already... As your RPM's increase up to 6K you can feel the pedal getting softer...

you guys talking about this one?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-31-005.pdf

I have been complaining about my clutch pedal forever and it still ain't right... I dont know what it is anymore, but when they bleed it at the dealer, its good for about 2 weeks or until I drive in heavy traffic... Then the pedal gets tough and inaccurate...

I have a new slave cylinder, new pressure plate (at 10K), new resevoir too...

No other V I have driven has been like this.

I'm still stumped, but I need to figure this out because everyone who drives with me thinks I am a bad stick driver (jerky).

thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Reed

P.S. James, I am thinking of a new clutch resevioir cap... price?

Hard to say for sure... First guess would be pressure plate without driving it... Maybe a clutch master cylinder... Sounds like the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet...

I'll let you know tomorrow on the cap...

Holmes815
08-24-06, 02:12 AM
[quote=Lindsay Cadillac;785511]Depending on the year of your V I would say from your description that it sounds like the TSB mentioned already... As your RPM's increase up to 6K you can feel the pedal getting softer...

I have an 04; same diagnosis??

Lindsay Cadillac
08-24-06, 06:41 AM
I have an 04; same diagnosis??

More than likely... Without having the car here it's hard to say for sure but it sounds like that's your problem...

I don't know how you feel about running the RPM's up on your car in neutral but that will tell for sure... Put the car in neutral, hold the clutch about half way down and then press the accelerator to the floor and release it... As the RPM's get close to 6,000 you'll actually feel the clutch pedal start to go down by itself... That's how I confirmed it my car, the clutch pedal actually pulled away from my foot when I did it...

atdeneve
08-24-06, 07:57 AM
Put the car in neutral, hold the clutch about half way down and then press the accelerator to the floor and release it... As the RPM's get close to 6,000 you'll actually feel the clutch pedal start to go down by itself... That's how I confirmed it my car, the clutch pedal actually pulled away from my foot when I did it...

That's wutahmtaukinbout. Jouno!

Except, imagine that you're pulling out into a busy street in reverse. Cars coming both ways, better hurry up! Pop it in 1st, as you quickly rev the engine and slowly let off the clutch. Revving the engine provides sufficent power, while utilizing the clutch allows complete and proper control/application of that power.

Except, what the hey, the clutch peddle falls away from your foot! Oh no, it's doing exactly the opposite of what I'm telling it to do. And, of course, you therefore, almost instinctively, do not further depress the clutch, which is exactly what you should do.

As the revs fall, the clutch pedal returns up and once it hits that midpoint (the point at which the clutch pressure changes almost instantly from firm to light or light to firm depending on whether you're depressing or lifting off the clutch) the clutch immediately catches and Wohhoh Nelly! Just watch out and be forewarned.

Apparently, the issue of an autonomous clutch pedal was not a safety issue and, likewise, not worth a recall for Cadillac/GM. It's simply provided for through the convenience of a TSB for those customers who "complain" of such symptoms. How thoughtful.:D

:rolleyes:

JAY WEST
08-25-06, 02:33 AM
Talked to my local dealership today, they said sounds like we should replace it (clutch and assem.)...F'n cool service manager, also installing the UUC flywheel for me N/C.

Lindsay Cadillac
08-30-06, 02:17 PM
P.S. James, I am thinking of a new clutch resevioir cap... price?Sorry Reed I sort of forgot about this...

Part number for the cap is 88996630 and price is $17.41