: Leaking oil, Not leaking oil

1997seville
08-23-06, 09:06 AM
Yesterday when I was leaving work, I saw a rather large puddle of oil under the car. Comming from the front of the engine. Where I parked it was a side slope leaning towards the passenger side. I only remember seeing oil under the car once before in my driveway and it was only about 1 inch across. This one was probably 18 inces across. Today I parked in the same place, its been out there for 4 hours and not a single drop on the ground. Anyone have any idea what would cause this oil to leak one day but not the next? I did just add oil on Sunday, but there was no oil at home Sunday or at work Monday.

caddydaddy
08-23-06, 09:46 AM
Have you had the car looked at? Sounds like a serious leak that needs to be taken care of ASAP!

1997seville
08-23-06, 10:04 AM
Again it did not leak last night it the driveway and it is not leaking now . Nor had it ever leaked like this before. We are not talking about a constant leak. And I do not have my cars looked at. I look at them.

Ranger
08-23-06, 11:40 AM
Check the oil filter, adapter, pressure switch & cooling lines.

1997seville
08-23-06, 11:54 AM
Yea I will be checking that as soon as I get home. I went out to check it during my lunch break, and there is a small spot again. Dont know why it was not there this morning. Its about time to change the oil (15%) so maybe I will just do that while I'm under there anyways.

1997seville
08-24-06, 01:43 PM
Well its not oil, its antifreeze. Was leaking again today at work and got a closer look. I assumed it was oil before but was just the dirty ground making it look dark. Its dripping off the front of the engine cradle. Looked around the top and everything that I could see from there was dry. I will pull off the airbox tonight after work and check the lower hose. The radiator is only 2 months old so i really dont think it is the problem. And its not loosing too much because I havent got any low level warnings yet. Looks a little low in the resivor but not too much.

SLS GOLD
08-24-06, 01:56 PM
Make sure to check hose connections, since the radiator is only 2 months old. They may not be seated correctly or tight enough. Another post had radiator hose with 2 pin holes causing a leak and was suspected from the staple used to hang hose on hook by store prior to selling.

caddydaddy
08-24-06, 02:52 PM
I had a coolant pipe on my STS crack and leak coolant. So it may not be the radiator.

FRANKO
08-24-06, 06:43 PM
Be sure to check the weep hole on the underside of your water pump.

FRANKO

carnut
08-24-06, 08:07 PM
Sometimes coolant only leaks with a cool engine. We used to put a radiator pressure tester on the car at the end of the day and ck for the source the next morning.

Ranger
08-24-06, 08:25 PM
I'm with SLS GOLD. if the radiator is only 2 weeks old, I'd go back and check the hose connections.

1997seville
08-25-06, 06:38 AM
Its just getting a little frustrating. I get home last night and there is no leak to be found. Hopefully I can catch it leaking this weekend and track it down. Ranger, its been about 2 months not 2 weeks since I put it in, but I agree thats not very long. And I did not change the hoses when I put in the new radiator, and yes I know I should have but my budget was already strained at the time. I may just ahead and get new hoses on there just to be safe.