: Front End "Shimmy" at 60mph

mcarter
08-23-06, 08:38 AM
I have been impressed with the steering system in the V, as compared to the wife's Lexus GS but recently I've noticed vibration at 60mph. It seems more pronouned under acceleration and when on grooved pavement.

Any thoughts?

FYI, 04' running GSD3's that are rotated every season (5K).

v-ape
08-23-06, 09:35 AM
If it goes away when you go >60, get your tires balanced.

The Tony Show
08-23-06, 05:36 PM
I've got about 2,000 miles on my GS-D3s and I'm getting a vibration as well. One of these days I'm going to have my shop toss them on the road force balancer, but I feel like they might be going out of round as they wear in. I hope not, but unless I threw a wheel weight, that's probably what it is.

Anyway, make sure if you get them checked you use a shop with a Hunter road force machine. It's far more accurate than a standard balancer.

calicadi
08-23-06, 06:53 PM
I've got about 2,000 miles on my GS-D3s and I'm getting a vibration as well. One of these days I'm going to have my shop toss them on the road force balancer, but I feel like they might be going out of round as they wear in. I hope not, but unless I threw a wheel weight, that's probably what it is.

Anyway, make sure if you get them checked you use a shop with a Hunter road force machine. It's far more accurate than a standard balancer.
:yeah: Got a road force balance after the CG kit ws put on... night and freakin' day difference, at all speeds. Plus, I read on other threads that Goodyears are not as round as they could be. That's hearsay as they say in court. BTW, I'm running B'stone 050A runflats.

Wizzle
08-23-06, 07:28 PM
Like mentioned above, road force balancing is your best bet to fix that. My dad's V had the same problem when he got it and having everything road force balanced fixed it up perfect. :thumbsup:

clubho
08-23-06, 10:47 PM
I get the same shimmy and slight left front brake squeek. Took the car in and they said a bolt was loose??? and the roters needed to be turned...i had only about 5k in mileage. I got the car back and the shimmy is much less but still there around 60 mph. Oh and the brake squeek is back after a day.