: PermaStar Chrome

CopperHead
08-22-06, 04:54 PM
So I won some used CTS-V rims on eBay (eBay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=200016499526&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT)) and I was thinking about having them chrome plated...but I heard about a different process called PermaStar (click here for a link to Goodrich.com) (http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/). Have any of you had any experience with this coating? Looks good, last a longtime (5 year warranty), and adds no real weight, and they will coat the wheels for $175 each. Thoughts?

nikon
08-22-06, 04:59 PM
the "chrome" rims on the new eclipse are like that...if you look close you can see the orange peel...dunno if its exactly the same process, but pretty damn close....sorry but I have no further insight on it.

RedGalant2k1
08-22-06, 06:02 PM
Much better than standard chrome, much safer too.

ChicagoCTS32
08-22-06, 06:06 PM
It looks nice. Be a pioneer!

OldRoadDawg
08-22-06, 06:25 PM
About 2 weeks back I was at a wheel repair shop in Bath, PA and the owner showed me some BMW wheels that had the PermaStar finish in a black chrome. They were gorgeous! Quoted me about the same price . . $175 a wheel with about a 7 day turn around. I'm giving it serious consideration.

1QUICKV
08-22-06, 06:42 PM
$1,900 on ebay is way to much... all there doing is choming, not gold plating them..... chome is not cheap but $1900.00? you got to be crazy to pay that or just have to much money to know what to do with it. but if thats the case then give you money to me....

nikon
08-22-06, 07:53 PM
even though Im going with forgelines, I'd still like to see what the black chrome looks like with this process.

NIK
08-23-06, 07:45 AM
About 2 weeks back I was at a wheel repair shop in Bath, PA and the owner showed me some BMW wheels that had the PermaStar finish in a black chrome. They were gorgeous! Quoted me about the same price . . $175 a wheel with about a 7 day turn around. I'm giving it serious consideration.

Who (and where) is the shop in Bath, PA? I live in Bethlehem, so maybe I'll check it out.

Old Road Dawg - Are you from the Lehigh Valley?

CopperHead
08-23-06, 08:38 AM
I am thinking about sending my wheels to Cali...that's where the owner of the process is, but I know they are selling the process to other locations.

OldRoadDawg
08-23-06, 08:43 AM
Who (and where) is the shop in Bath, PA? I live in Bethlehem, so maybe I'll check it out.

Old Road Dawg - Are you from the Lehigh Valley?

Place called Wheel Collision Center (http://www.wheelcollision.com/) in a small commercial park off Airport Rd (987) north of 22. I went there to check out another process they do called HyperChrome. The owner said they weren't happy with some of the results from that process and that is when he brought out the black chrome wheel from a BMW to show me and expained the 'Physical Vapor Deposition' process. :confused: The finish looked flawless and even changed my mind about black chroming. He didn't have a regular chrome wheel with the PermaStar finish to look at. Check him out. They may have more examples now.

Not from the Lehigh Valley. Live in south central PA (Blair Co.) Was in Allentown for business.

The Tony Show
08-23-06, 04:32 PM
I had the stockers on my RX-8 chrome plated at Capital Wheels in CA, and they came out awesome. Cost was about $400, and they held up perfectly for 25k miles (then I sold the car).

If you go standard chrome, I'd recommend 'em. :thumbsup:

Vendetta-V-
08-24-06, 08:19 PM
Blah...the permachrome is basically paint. No thanks. Especially since I can get chromed OEM wheels at $600 for the entire set (+ shipping) at oemrimscompany@aol.com / 714-940-1761