: MAP Sensor Problems. Need A Little Guidance.

aamusls06
08-21-06, 01:57 PM
I'm having MAP sensor problems. Stalled Once, Rough Idle at times, and Cranks up like I'm holding my foot on the gas.

Open MAP Sensor Code????

What could this mean guys? Is this thing hard to replace. No matter the difficulty I could replace it, but I've got limited tools here at college. Is there a short-term solution that I could do without removing it. Shed some light guys. This site has really helped alot with my car and I know you guys will have a solution. The car is a 94 SLS.

FrankT
08-21-06, 09:07 PM
I'm having MAP sensor problems. Stalled Once, Rough Idle at times, and Cranks up like I'm holding my foot on the gas.

Open MAP Sensor Code????

What could this mean guys? Is this thing hard to replace. No matter the difficulty I could replace it, but I've got limited tools here at college. Is there a short-term solution that I could do without removing it. Shed some light guys. This site has really helped alot with my car and I know you guys will have a solution. The car is a 94 SLS.

The Map sensor is very easy to replace. But before replacing it check for 5 volt reference on the 5volt ref circuit and a ground on the low ref circuit, check the resistance of the signal circuit between the PCM and sensor to make sure its not open. Without a scan tool your diagnosis becomes a little more difficult. Also make sure the vacuum port for the sensor is not plugged up with carbon. The sensor is on the intake it’s a small black sensor with a 3-wire connector.

Good luck

FrankT

ewill3rd
08-22-06, 08:32 AM
It would be good if we knew what engine you have in your car too.
Replacing a MAP sensor is not usually difficult but the procedure can vary based on what engine you have.
Also it's not always the sensor's fault.

aamusls06
08-22-06, 09:43 AM
It a 94 4.6 Northstar with the Y Vin. What else can cause it to do this. I somewhat am leaning toward the sensor because it's a sometimey thing because it only acts up once in a blue moon. I drove it between Huntsville, AL and Atlanta, GA(220 miles) and back with no problem, but while in Atlanta it stalled and was running bad. I first figured that I got some bad gas from this BP Amoco near Spelman College, but that gas would have been ran out by now. I've been getting these MAP sensor codes for the longest, but now I'm having the symptoms of the problem. I was out on the interstate blowing out the carbon the other night and open the motor up until the governor shut the fuel flow off. I think that a piece of carbon might have gotten clogged in that vaccum port or that the sensor is just bad. I'm gone put the sensor on order and let you guys know what came of it.

ewill3rd
08-22-06, 10:57 AM
It's more likely if it's the original style northstar engine, with the large metal cover on top of the engine. If it is, the MAP sensor is inside the intake but all you have to do is remove the cover.
If it's the new style it's mounted near the throttle bore on top of the intake.
(usually)
If the sensor is bad it can make the car do what you say, if you want to replace it, it's worth a shot. I just wanted to express that you could have a wiring problem. How to locate it could fill a book so I didn't go into detail.
Were I you... I would try to replace the sensor and see what happens.
If the problem persists, you need a good electrical technician to properly diagnose the fault.