: Rear Bushing Squeek/Groan

MescalVto
08-21-06, 11:04 AM
Darn things are starting to get kind noisy.
Seems like a rumor was going around a while back that a new revised part was coming from GM. Did that ever happen?

So maybe james or one of his techs could chime in and tell me the best current fix . . . lube and relube? replace . . .new GM or Spectre?

Imperator
08-21-06, 11:18 AM
Good question. I've made two visits to my dealer since June on this problem... every time they just lube up the existing bushings and send me on my way. I bought Specter bushings, but the dealer refuses to install them as they are "aftermarket parts." I expressed my displeasure to the service manager, stating that his service writers do not fully understand the problem and nothing short of a replacement would help.

It would be nice if I could have this problem fixed without having to install the Specter bushings, but if this is the case, I'm taking the car to a different dealer. Is there any way to make the OEM bushings/spacers work without drying out and squeaking?

Lindsay Cadillac
08-21-06, 11:20 AM
Here are your options:

1) Constantly lubricate the current bushings you have... That will quiet them down for a while but it will come back...
2) Remove the bushings you have...
3) Replace the bushings you have with the Spectre bushings...

I went with number 3... After trying about 5 different kinds of lubricant I finally gave up and installed the Spectre bushings...

Rickerbucks
08-21-06, 01:49 PM
Well I have had enough and I'm going with option 2. I'm going back to stock.

1QUICKV
08-21-06, 06:01 PM
what should we oil them with? not grease i know. the Squeek/Groan noies that i have only come when i hit the brake, but it sounds like its coming from the back sit side panel. it may not be the bushings, in my case...

rand49er
08-21-06, 08:16 PM
Option 3, here ... when I get off my dead behind. GM bushings squeaking worse every day.

Lube with silicone spray.

CTS5
08-21-06, 09:29 PM
The stuff my dealer uses is called anti-sieze compound - thick sticky silver stuff. The 2nd/3ed time they just loosened up the cradle and slopped it in for minimal effect. The 4th time they dropped the cradle, packed the bushings with the goop and that has lasted for quite some time. Driving through standing water/heavy rain will have them squalking in a heartbeat though IMHO.

CTS5
08-21-06, 09:32 PM
Squalking=Squacking? Skwalking? Squak...Hell...Creaking loudly like I imagine a stagecoach must sound.

MLV
08-21-06, 09:50 PM
Go with the Spectre bushings. My dealer installed them for me. So far no squeaks or creaks. The GM fix needed lubing every month or so.

DILLIGAF
08-21-06, 10:21 PM
Well,I was one of the guys crying to my dealer to get the fix in asap.I don't know how long the gm fix has been in,now I have the creaking noise.My car has been in the rain maybe 3 times since the fix,I think driving in the rain,car living outside,ext,ext has alot to do with how long the bushings stay quiet.I'll just ask to get them re lubed.

1QUICKV
08-21-06, 11:39 PM
my dealer uses is called anti-sieze compound - thick sticky silver stuff. That sounds like it could work. but is it good for the bushings? or will it kill the subframe bushings?

Lindsay Cadillac
08-22-06, 05:55 AM
Anti-sieze seemed to work the longest of all the different lubricants that we tried, but even it stopped working after a while... It won't hurt the bushings...

As rp64ctsv said I think cars that aren't garaged and are driven every day regardless of the weather seem to do it worse. We tried several different times using different lubricants and it would go away for a while and then come back.