: STS Second Impressions

rcpeters
08-20-06, 12:35 PM
One of the best cars I ever owned, was a 1977 Cadillac Seville that I bought new and drove for about 10 years. A few years ago, I test drove a Seville STS at one of the local GM "Drive" events and had the opportunity then to also test drive on a large parking lot, several other GM cars and competitive makes. My first impression of the STS was that it had the most comfortable seats, good handling and lots of power. The only other makes that came close were the Jaguar XJ8 and large Lexus.

Now I am considering replacing our Catera with an STS and the 2005-2006 models are excellent possibilities, great style, lots of power and many conveniences. (The prior years, appear to be too large for us because we are used to driving the smaller Catera)

So this week we rented a 2006 STS for a day. Drove it for the included 100 miles; city streets, heavy traffic, open highways, mountain highways and some Los Angeles freeway segments. The seats were comfortable, but I recall the earlier models as more "plush and soft" The 320 HP engine seemed like a good alternative to a CTS-V. Handling was fine and gadgets were overwhelming. The large display was neat, but I never did figure how to adjust the fade, balance and tone of the radio. I liked the keyless ignition but I am concerned about what problems may be in store, if the system fails or the key fob batteries die although the manual says to use the door key and place the fob in the glove box fob holder and do some tricks to start the car. I know, call On-Star for remote assistance, but maybe I don't want to pay for that service after the first year. Visibility to the rear was some concern, the view is obstructed somewhat. Riding around in the STS left no doubt that I was in a true Cadillac. Heavy feel, very little bounce over the bumps and a quiet interior. A 1000 mile trip probably would have been quite comfortable.

Next, we will rent a 3.6 CTS which is less expensive and more readily available from more rental car companies. Test drives of this car at the GM event, were nothing remarkable, so we are not expecting too much.

ascariSTS
08-21-06, 07:49 AM
If you are considering an STS, just go for it... My STS is my first Cadillac I didn't drive any Cadillac before that... It feels like a dream (I had a Lexus previously maybe that's why)...

I just tested a CTS 2 weeks ago... nice, great feeling... but not that much compared to STS...

anyways regarding adjust audio options, there is a button under 'Aux' I think that has a music symbol... when you click on it you can do all audio adjustment...

there are many screens and options hiding here and there... you just can't get used to the interface very quickly... but once you get used to it, everything thing will be easy...

regarding the key fob... the car check system will alert you when the key fob battery is low... it will do that several times... but once it's dead... you can unlock the door with the door key and place the key fob inside a small "pocket" in the middle console... then start the car normally... it will transfer the signal using infrared...

if the system fails, I dunno... you can call the roadside assistant... although I haven't heard of someone has it failed... there was a problem with 2005s , a message appears saying "No key fob detected" while the key fob is there... but I think they fixed that in 2006s...

STS is great... more than great... a pride of ownership...

if you are not in a hurry, there gonna be some changes in 2008 STS... minor changes... but that would be a year from now...