: From BMr to V - how do you shift these thing?

mtbfamily
08-19-06, 01:36 AM
Recently procured a nice low mileage 04 v with a uuc shifter. Tough gearbox in comparison to my 330 (not that i was expecting silky smooth). My issue is the box pops out of 2nd when downshifting. With all the aftermarket shifters available, are any more accurate - or is it simply a transmission woe that everyone suffers? thanks for any input!

dqw1
08-19-06, 08:54 AM
UUC is very precise and there are a couple of others. This is a must do mod along with adding a CAGS.

austin
08-19-06, 09:18 AM
>My issue is the box pops out of 2nd when downshifting.

Just a thought.... I would check these two things out.... It can't hurt;

(1) There is a foam seal that is directly underneith the shifter boot cover. Take a credit card and pop up the bottom side of the shifter boot cover, and then pull the cover/leather boot up over the shift knob (turning the boot inside out). It will stay up by it self due to the shift knob being there... Then, Check the underlying foam cutout with your "V" in 2nd, as well as all gears and see if the shifter shaft rubs against the foam at any point... If so, trim the foam with a exacto knife, and then pop the shifter cover back on.

(2) These cars use up clutch fluid as they break in. Some dealers don't even check it upon delivery... As mine did not. Anyways, just twist off the clutch fluid cap, and make sure the fluid is to the top.

Good luck, i hope this helps you out. :)

50 4Ever
08-19-06, 10:08 AM
(2) These cars use up clutch fluid as they break in. Some dealers don't even check it upon delivery... As mine did not. Anyways, just twist off the clutch fluid cap, and make sure the fluid is to the top.

Good luck, i hope this helps you out. :)

Clutch fluid does not get "used up". As the material on the clutch wears down, the fluid level goes down because the slave needs more fluid to keep the clutch adjusted properly. Maybe the reservoir is not to the MAX line when the car leaves the factory, which is doubtful. The fluid does get "wet" from exposure to moisture in the air, but this will not cause the volume of fluid to decrease. And it will get "burned" from boiling, but this doesn't decrease the volume either. If you know you have a good clutch and the fluid level keeps going down, look for a leak.

The problem with always keeping the fluid level filled is when you get a new clutch, the additional fluid will be forced out. Brake fluid is very caustic and will eat paint almost instantly. The only time I add fluid is when I bleed the clutch to remove the burned fluid at the slave, even then I add only what was removed.

:thumbsup:

mtbfamily
08-19-06, 11:26 AM
thank you for the tips. as it turns out it only has a cags eliminator and not a uuc shifter assembly. so, perhaps that is a necessary upgrade?

urbanski
08-19-06, 12:39 PM
Clutch fluid does not get "used up". As the material on the clutch wears down, the fluid level goes down because the slave needs more fluid to keep the clutch adjusted properly.
i thought scary gnomes drank it :(