: Another "NEWBIE"

Astronomer
04-01-03, 08:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. I am the proud owner of a new to me 2000 STS that I've been dreaming about for at least seven years. It's midnight blue and reflects one of my other passions: Sky-Watching. Hope to talk with you all soon.......Jim:banana:

Brett
04-01-03, 09:43 AM
welcome to the forum

kcnewell
04-01-03, 10:10 AM
Welcome, You will probably fit right in here! This place can sometimes be out of this world!

BeelzeBob
04-01-03, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard, Jim! And thank you for signing up! I want your car! Have you posted pictures up in our photo section yet? I love the STS...

Astronomer
04-01-03, 10:47 AM
Sal,

I will post em as soon as I get em....waiting for a nice sunny day to do the car justice

JerseyGirl
04-01-03, 11:10 AM
Hey Jim! Welcome!:banana:

Katshot
04-01-03, 11:57 AM
Welcome Jim.
I guess the "North Star" has special meaning for you too ;)

Astronomer
04-01-03, 12:04 PM
kevin...thanks......power is addictive and I sure don't want a cure

jerseyMan
04-01-03, 04:04 PM
Welcome Astronomer...post some pics of your "new" car.

Astronomer
04-02-03, 01:39 PM
JerseyMan,

Check em out ....they're posted

Katshot
04-02-03, 01:50 PM
As a "sky-watcher" have you ever wondered why Cadillac named their high performance engine after something that doesn't move?
I figured you might have some insight on that ;)

Astronomer
04-02-03, 03:23 PM
Kevin,

Are you saying that the North Star (currently Polaris) does not move in respect to the earth spinning on it's axis?

Brett
04-02-03, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Katshot
As a "sky-watcher" have you ever wondered why Cadillac named their high performance engine after something that doesn't move?
I figured you might have some insight on that ;)

depends on your perspective kevin, everything is in motion in the universe to one degree or another

I always thought maybe the name came from shakespeare, whereas Julius Caeser says "I am constant as the northern star", thus the northstar embodying strength and reliability.

Katshot
04-02-03, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Astronomer
Kevin,

Are you saying that the North Star (currently Polaris) does not move in respect to the earth spinning on it's axis?
Yes sir, I was.

Katshot
04-02-03, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Brett
depends on your perspective kevin, everything is in motion in the universe to one degree or another

Does the word "relativity" cross your mind?

I always thought maybe the name came from shakespeare, whereas Julius Caeser says "I am constant as the northern star", thus the northstar embodying strength and reliability.

Yeah, I got that too. I just thought that you COULD look at it the other way too ;)
Just playing around.

Astronomer
04-02-03, 03:46 PM
Since you seem to know a lot about this Kevin, Are you aware that the North Star is not really true north and that it does indeed move with respect to the earth spinning on its axis? In fact in another 13000 years or so, Vega will be the north star and maybe you can tell me what engine we should all be in hot persuit of when that happens?

Brett
04-02-03, 03:49 PM
hopefully not the Chevy Vegastar

Katshot
04-02-03, 03:52 PM
I'm NOT buying a VEGA ;)
Yeah I was aware of that. Like I said, I was just playing around.
Generally speaking, the "north star" is considered to be stationary in the sky and was (and is) a favorite navigational aid because of it.

BTW, I want to know why my statement about "relativity" got stuck into Brett's quote?

Brett
04-02-03, 03:59 PM
that was weird....i fell like im being misquoted

Astronomer
04-02-03, 04:06 PM
Kevin,

To get back to the original question of why Cadillac chose the name NorthStar, we first needed to get you to acknowledge that it does indeed move. But; aside from that, GM does seem to be a little bit fascinated with cellestial objects: ONSTAR, NORTHSTAR, SATURN, VEGA, to name a few (I'm sure there are more) I chaulk it up to the space age materials used. The early Northstars had a nylon derivitive intake manifold (I'm not sure if they still do ...are you?)

Katshot
04-02-03, 07:39 PM
It IS a composite, does that make it a nylon derivitive? got me. I'd have to check with my dad. He's an engineer that worked with Rohm and Haas for years. I'm sure he'd know.

Astronomer
04-02-03, 07:58 PM
A composite is by definition a composition of two or more materials. I believe it is a nylon and some kind of polyester blend. I was just not sure if it was still being made with that material. some injection molding shop in New Hampshire was doing the molding the last I knew, which would have been around mid-nineties.

Astronomer
04-02-03, 08:22 PM
Actually it is molded in a "lost wax" type fashion where a low melting point metal becomes a ''core" that is melted out after the injection-molding process is complete saving the separate manufacture of over 100 parts GM claims. The material coupled with the design is claimed to give five more horsepower.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
04-02-03, 08:31 PM
hmm interesting...actually not really.
:)

Astronomer
04-03-03, 12:23 PM
Not to anyone who does'nt want to understand it ...no

Dooman
04-19-06, 02:36 PM
Nice to see someone else in the area! I'm next door in Leicester..
Welcome..

CADDYBLACK99
04-20-06, 01:47 PM
Welcome!

It's good to see more central Mass locals in here! We may have enough for a local meet now that the wx has finally turned the corner! I'll be looking for the beautiful (one of my favorite Cadillac colors) STS! Good Luck!
:welcome:
Paul

GETnBIG
05-03-06, 10:18 PM
Hello! I am rather a newbie to this forum myself. I ve had my 99 sts for 2 years and like most owners love the performance comfort and looks. I bought it with a warranty and had some oil seals and gaskets repaired at the dealer. Strange thing,there were no drips under the motor prior to having the work done? But I was requiring about 1 qt of oil between 5000 mi changes.After the work was done it did not change the loss of oil and still no drips. The charge around $800 and was billed to the warranty. Oh well,my car seems to burn oil not leak it so if you dont see a drip dont pay to have it fixed.
I had my oil changed at a mobil station, they did a good job with the oil The next day I drove 50 mi and noticed coolant leaking from cap on the radiator expansion tank. I allow the car to cool,5 hr later I lifted the hood opened the cap and found the tank was over filled. I remove some of the fluid replaced cap drove home.All is well "station mechanic over filled right" WRONG "Green Coolant was added which is the same as GREMLINS! $1500. water pump,hoses,flushes etc. Still over heating!! Answer clear purge line plugged with GREMLINS (Dont let just anybody add fluids to your baby.)