: 2 Din is possible!

heavycat
08-18-06, 12:08 AM
After months of debation on flip out dvd or 2 din , I decided to go with a pioneer 2 din navagation. A far as I know this has not been done before in a catera. I had to do the custom job myself, but it was well worth it. I was told by many on this forum that it couldn't be done. Well here it is. check the pic:thumbsup:

normalicy
08-18-06, 01:38 PM
Oh, anything's definately possible. I do give credit for actually doing it though. It doesn't look half bad. Weren't you able to flush mount it to the trim piece?

heavycat
08-18-06, 07:55 PM
It is actually flush, it was on one of the angle settings when I took the first pic. I have a better pics.

normalicy
08-18-06, 08:41 PM
OK, now I see it better. Great job. Did you use wood or plastic?

heavycat
08-18-06, 08:56 PM
plastic, It would be to difficult for me to get the rounded edge with wood

CadillacSTS42005
08-22-06, 12:16 AM
howd u make that
very nice and clean!

andergar
08-22-06, 08:28 AM
Did you have a Bose in it before and did you use a conversion kit? If yes to the conversion kit where and what is model?

Andergar

heavycat
08-22-06, 03:49 PM
I did have the factory bose cd player. I removed the amps in the trunk, and bypassd them. If you want to retain your onstar you need to get a mod. Otherwise, it can drain your battery. I removed the onstar entirely. I have had no problems and I didn't use any bose conversion kit.

CadillacSTS42005
08-22-06, 04:47 PM
howd you make that? did you buy a single din kit and cut it or make one from scratch.

netager
08-22-06, 10:39 PM
Nice, clean installation :) :thumbsup:

I want to hear more details, too :) I'm happy with stock bose system but friend of mine have a box with two 12' subs and 1000W amp for sale for good price - do you know if it's possible to coonect them to the stock bose system?

APatterson
08-23-06, 06:20 AM
Nice, clean installation :) :thumbsup:

I want to hear more details, too :) I'm happy with stock bose system but friend of mine have a box with two 12' subs and 1000W amp for sale for good price - do you know if it's possible to coonect them to the stock bose system?

line level converter. search it up, its real easy to do since the cateras have the rear deck speakers. anyways, it takes your speaker + and - from both sides and converts them to the two rca jack outputs and plug it up to your amp and you have your sound, run everything else for the amp and you should be good.

heavycat
08-23-06, 01:04 PM
When I first picked up my cat in 2004, I had allready purchased my system like 3months prior. I am running 2 Phenoix Gold Titanium 10", powerd by a 1100w Kenwood Mono. Up until I got the 2 din I was running off the bose system using a line level as Apatterson said. It will sound allright aslong as your amp has a quality cross over, otherwise, it can sould a little distorted. Try it out and if your satisfied with the sound quality, then I wouldnt worry to much about using an aftermarket deck. Although an aftermarket deck would sound alot cleaner, I didnt realize how much better it could be until I switched out the bose.

I have updated pics, I'll post them later tonight

netager
08-23-06, 06:48 PM
APatterson, heavycat, thanks for the tip with line level converter. Gone googling :bouncy: