: How far must a man travel for a V?

BigFred
08-17-06, 11:16 PM
Leaving tomorrow morning to fly to Houston to pick up a new 06 CTS-V (I live in St. Louis). Terms are set but nothing's been signed, so we'll see what happens. I have never had a stick so the journey back will be a learning experience. Thanks to the forum for teaching me about the car and helping me make my decision. Hopefully my next post will be filled with these :) and not these :rant2:

arr0gant
08-17-06, 11:34 PM
Where are you buying it?

Stay away from Global Motorcars.

sotxmike
08-18-06, 01:06 AM
Be very careful if you are dealing with Stewart Cadillac. Changing the price when you are coming in from out of town is their forte :tisk:

urbanski
08-18-06, 06:41 AM
may have left already....
but if they screw you rent a car, drive to 801 Broadway san antonio, Cavender. They will do you RIGHT

Silver Dollar
08-18-06, 10:34 AM
All I keep hearing is that V's aren't moving that fast. Is he really having to go that far to get one?

Sewell in Dallas had several 06's when I bought mine a couple of months ago.

arr0gant
08-18-06, 10:50 AM
Who knows, maybe he got a fat deal.

I live in St Louis and just bought a car in Houston, turned out to be flooded. They claimed they didn't know. Made them take it back, plus pay expenses and ship it back. As soon as they got it, they relisted it. Same ad as the one I bought it, checked for salvage, flood etc... NONE FOUND.

Global Motorcars are Theifs and Lyars!

arr0gant
08-18-06, 10:53 AM
dddd

CIWS
08-18-06, 02:24 PM
Yeah make sure they don't try and screw you, if so rent a car and drive to San Antonio or Dallas, the cars are around in the right places.

BigFred
08-20-06, 11:44 AM
I just got back. Bought it from Ron Carter Cadillac. The deal was as it had been negotiated beforehand, so all went well. I would have left if the deal was wrong. I told my wife to be ready for some excitement if the numbers weren't right.:rant2: The car has FG2's and I forgot to check for the stock shocks before I left. They aren't in the car and the salesman said I would get them. I'm going to ask him to ship them to me, we'll see what happens.

My initial impressions (more for those looking to buy a V, these are some of the things that would have helped me make up my mind):

1. The interior was nicer than I expected. :thumbsup: Most of the materials are "soft touch" plastics, even if they don't look that way. The light gray, silver and black look great together. I came out of a 2000 Jag XJR and expected to be disappointed. Also, saw a Carbon Fiber kit on a CTS and it looked really nice to me. I expected all those kits to look cheap.

2. XM NavTraffic is amazing. The Nav will tell you when there is an accident on your route, warn you of slowdowns and the avg. speed of the slowdowns among other things. A tone sounds and then the warning description pops up. It was uncanny in Houston.

3. The V feels very solid and all of one piece:thumbsup:

4. FG2's and the F1's ride smoother than I expected, a big plus.:thumbsup: Stiffer up and down than the XJR (not very stiff) and a G35 (pretty stiff). The tires roar like crazy over the gravelly paved roads in Texas. These are highways that are paved with a gravel texture? I don't get it. The F1's protested loudly. "Normal" roads were fine. Multiple bumps in the road were bouncy and some of the bumps made the tires sound like a playground kickball.

I can't comment on the preformance too much, since I can't drive a stick too well yet; but that's all in print from better sources anyway. Off to show friends and family; and learning how to drive all over again.

HushH
08-20-06, 01:20 PM
Congrats. The more you drive it the more you'll like it. And ditto on the NavTraffic feature. Comes in mighty handy here in Atlanta as well. I'm extending my XM subscription for that reason alone.

arr0gant
08-20-06, 01:36 PM
Congrats and good luck!!!

P-Funk
08-21-06, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the purchase. And yes, the NavTraffic is very useful here in Houston.

keeksv
08-21-06, 09:38 PM
Welcome...when does the new exhaust go on?:thumbsup:

Nav-traffic sounds cool. Not sure how useful for where I live--may be able to tell if there are cows or chickens in the road....

BigFred
08-21-06, 10:44 PM
I thought about getting the Corsa, the dealer seemed like he didn't want to sell it to me. I decided against it, anyway. I love the look of an exhaust, but my V is a company car.;)
I realized on the drive home I didn't get my stock shocks, which I was told I would. The salesman is now essentially trying to say there were no stock shocks. I let him know the shocks were part of the deal. I played by his rules throughout the process, but that's going to change now. We'll see what he says. :tisk:

Closer_2001
08-22-06, 11:04 AM
I
I realized on the drive home I didn't get my stock shocks, which I was told I would. The salesman is now essentially trying to say there were no stock shocks. I let him know the shocks were part of the deal. I played by his rules throughout the process, but that's going to change now. We'll see what he says. :tisk:

Larry Volkman is the service manager at Ron Carter. I unfortunately know those guys much too well.

Anyway - call Larry and tell him you want your shocks. It is a small dealership and they can find them. Larry is a Vette guy and likes performance cars.

I would even pick them up for you and ship them if Larry is unwilling to go through the hassle. I live in Clear Lake.

BigFred
08-22-06, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the name, I might have to call him. The salesman is maintaining that the shocks weren't on the car. He is giving me the name of the guy who handled the service ticket, but if someone is going to pocket the shocks it has to be someone in the service department or someone who has the assistance of the service dept.